Author Topic: Why do buffs stay level when under attack?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Why do buffs stay level when under attack?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 11:53:56 PM »
Anyone ever use a snap roll in buffs? Any buff including 29's with or without ords can do it. you wont loose your drones at all and it really throws off the attacker. Buffs roll as good as a 190! Thatz my last ditch effort after i loose my first drone.
think im joking??? :joystick:
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 09:18:56 AM »
The reason I find it easier to kill "bouncing buffs" is because your drones separate from the main bird.

In the Infantry we call the area an automatic weapon sprays out a cone of fire, if your planes are together in level flight...your cone is smaller but has a higher amount of lead in it. If your moving and your buffs are separating then your cone is larger and less deadly....

If you ever know your about to be attacked by me in your buffs, just know I'm going after the plane that is the most spread out, maybe you can jump to that plane and fair better.

Not only this but I find it easier to place myself into a position where there is reduced gunfire directed at me because 1 or more of the formation is in the way and blocking the LOS of the remaining especially when attacking from the 8:00-4:00 positions
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 09:20:54 AM »
I wish it would be coaded like AirWarrior was where you could put a player behind every gun, dog fighting Deathstars were a blast

That was fun. Along with dropping bombs on your opponent if you got over them
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 03:04:28 PM »
If a bomber maneuvers in the horizontal, he invites an attack on the drones. The place to do horizontal maneuvering is before the fighter begins its attack and is trying to position. If the fighter tries to over take the bomber on its side (and have to keep 1000+ yards because gunners can shoot through 300 mph cross wind without difficulty), then the bomber can initiate a slow turn and place the fighter back on its 6.

The best defense maneuver for bombers is to shallow dive to 400+ mph. Fighters will have a real problem to position for an attack from the front quadrant and it makes things difficult even to attack from above since many fighters will not like being at 500 mph in a steep dive, and those that do will lose a lot of energy after this attack run. The result is much lower relative speeds of the fighters and much less accurate maneuvering on their part. Waist gunners have no problem standing in front of an open window, light breeze blowing in at 400 mph, and shoot through the cross wind. Wingmen have no problem keeping formation in such a dive, so you defend your drones and use their combined firepower.

Combine this dive with slow turning and you can pretty much force the fighter to your rear quadrant as long as you have altitude, which if you started from 15k will last for about 4-5 minutes during which you cover about 30 miles - enough to make him give up, tackle friendly fighters, or get frustrated and try something reckless.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 03:45:57 PM »
The best defense maneuver for bombers is to shallow dive to 400+ mph. Fighters will have a real problem to position for an attack from the front quadrant and it makes things difficult even to attack from above since many fighters will not like being at 500 mph in a steep dive, and those that do will lose a lot of energy after this attack run.

Combine this dive with slow turning and you can pretty much force the fighter to your rear quadrant as long as you have altitude, which if you started from 15k will last for about 4-5 minutes during which you cover about 30 miles - enough to make him give up, tackle friendly fighters, or get frustrated and try something reckless.

+1 on this buff drivers.   This works particularly well when facing a fighter that is trying to climb right over you before he attacks.   I find that a shallow dive coupled with a slight turn or two gets the fighter jock watching you instead of his instruments when he dives in - often he won't realize how fast you are going (or how fast he is going as he passes).  They often end up in your rear quadrant and have to chase after the first pass.  I also find that a lot of the guys that want to stay up high and pick get a little less than enthusiastic about pursuing you right down to the deck if you are anywhere near friendly fighter cover.   

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 05:52:55 PM »
I love it when a bomber goes on a climb while I am diving down.  it shows more of its wing for my bullets.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 06:41:46 PM »
+1 on this buff drivers.   This works particularly well when facing a fighter that is trying to climb right over you before he attacks.   I find that a shallow dive coupled with a slight turn or two gets the fighter jock watching you instead of his instruments when he dives in - often he won't realize how fast you are going (or how fast he is going as he passes).  They often end up in your rear quadrant and have to chase after the first pass.  I also find that a lot of the guys that want to stay up high and pick get a little less than enthusiastic about pursuing you right down to the deck if you are anywhere near friendly fighter cover.

I agree. Get someone above you in the 5,6,7 o clock position nose down and gain speed. Slows the closing rate down dramatically allowing for more time to fire your guns. Last few months i started using shift x vs auto-climb for this move. Allows me to keep my auto climb speed low and just seemed to work better for me.

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 08:43:31 PM »
stay level to give yourself the best firing solution. I'm all for diving or pulling up to throw them off but it will throw you off too.

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 02:15:28 AM »
stay level to give yourself the best firing solution. I'm all for diving or pulling up to throw them off but it will throw you off too.
Ill use a good example of how staying level might get you killed against a good player.

I go in too low at a base and run into bul1dog2. He uses this high angle attack from 12 oclock and comes at you inverted.
Snap rolled my lancs on his first pass and made him miss. His angle of attack is hard to defend in the guns level. You stay level against him you die. In the end he cleaned me up but it took him 6 passes to do it. Had I climbed more I would have stood a much better chance than at 8k.  Had I stayed level it would have been 3 quick passes.

When someones is coming in on your 6 or climbing on his attack run absolutely stay level and light the nme up.

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 09:05:22 AM »
Because it doesn't matter.. Buff's taste like chicken... 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 11:46:29 AM »
think im joking??? :joystick:
:airplane: :airplane: I have been following your remarks on this subject every since you first posted them! I would guess that you are a IP, since you are giving out a lot of instructions and suggestions on how to defend the bombers when under attack!
I have a lot of "buff" time, as I have only one useable eye, right one, so I spend 95% of my time in the game in bombers. I realize this is just a "game" and you can do a lot of things in here with these a/c which you can't do in real life aircraft, but one thing which I think you are overlooking is how the speed of two objects, bomber and fighter, effect the firing solutions of a gunner. If the bomber "platform" is constant, i.e., straight and level or descending or climbing, he/she has a much better chance of killing the incoming fighter.
I pretty much keep my bombers straight and level because if the incoming fighter is between my 5 and 7 O'clock positions, I am going to kill him when he gets within a 1,000 behind me. Not bragging, just a fact! I do get shot down sometimes, but 95% of the time, I get at least one bomber home and 75% of the time, all three.
The most difficult incoming fighter to kill for me is the "over head", straight down pass at me! When I see that coming, yes, I then turn to avoid getting hit.
The post is interesting and informative for everyone I suppose.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 11:19:44 AM »
wrong !!!  i avoid slashing attacks in lancs often by breaking at the last moment,it  works quite well to make them loose E and force them to crawl up the 6 for a tail gun shot.

Why bother with Slashing attacks on Lancs ? I come up directly underneath. completely defenseless. Unless I miss, then they have a few seconds if they can get in the top turret quick enough.
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »
Lancasters can not be bombers, they out-turn my A8 with ease at all altitudes :bhead
They have a tasty undefended belly though.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 02:09:02 PM »
Lancasters can not be bombers, they out-turn my A8 with ease at all altitudes

Not news.  Most planes outturn an A8.

- oldman