Author Topic: Why not Spit XIV?  (Read 5419 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Why not Spit XIV?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 02:35:53 PM »
The Spit 14 is the best 109 ever built.

Ehhh, all of the 109s can out turn the spit14, and really in truly It is a hard plane to BnZ in as well. I think the 109s are more capable as fighters. As Luche said, the handling is just weird in the spit14.

And those bloody wings.. you will kill yourself 7 out of 10 times pulling up too hard.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
I don't fly the Spit XIV because the one time I tried it was about as stable as a bobble head.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »
Spit14 is great. It's super fast and dives great. I would describe it as a manual spitfire. Apply trims and throttle work in it. It's a great climber and can hang pretty good. Once you get use to the guns it's a great killer. Use the speed and climb rate to out fly ur opponents. Fly it like a 190. With the high speeds it has, you can easy rip ur Wings off trying to turn if someone is on ur 6. So don't pull hard, use trims and throttle to make ur opponent overshoot and once you get slow then start to scissors vertical and you will make ur opponent stall. Planes like 109k4, la7 and spit16 will give you a harder fight. So you will need to think quick and time your angles ahead of time. Spit14 works great in a vertical scissor fight.  :salute
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »
Guess that with more "easy" spits aviable noone really takes the time to learn how to fly the XIV.
But compare to the K-4 the XIV should be an excelent replacement for most players. K-4 has about the same ups and downs as the XIV.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 04:17:03 PM »
But compare to the K-4 the XIV should be an excelent replacement for most players. K-4 has about the same ups and downs as the XIV.

Not at all. They have very different downs. The biggest "down" for most players in the K-4 is getting used to the tater ballistics, the thick cockpit frame (no issue if you got trackir) and the stiff controls at high speeds.
For the XIV it's being an unstable weapon platform - The K-4 is rock stable and precise in comparison.

The K-4 is faster than the Spit 14  up to about 24k (and there's little combat above that these days) and is effectively the much better climber to altitude due to it's generous WEP.

Guess that with more "easy" spits aviable noone really takes the time to learn how to fly the XIV.

You can say that for many planes.
There are much better planes in the Spit 14's performance leage, so those will be of course more popular. With it's rather extreme mixture of pros and cons it's essentially a mediocre fighter in AH's very unique combat environment.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:19:51 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »
Always burn the fuel out of wing tanks before engaging in combat. That is part of why you pull the wings off or cannot pull out of a dive. Also make sure a bit of the bottom tank is burned off. Too much fuel onboard is a big reason it is so unSpit like for many to maneuver with. Think of it as a spit8 airframe with about 300 more pounds hanging off the nose and horrendous torque. It's one of the few planes in the game that I only turn off combat trim in a dive so I can recover using pitch trim. Otherwise, it is all over the place with it's own mind due to that torque if you don't spend the time learning how to fly it.

The 150 Oct 21lb boost version was faster than the K4 at Mil and WEP SL up to max alt except for a band between 15-18k. Climb on WEP, it left the K4 in the dust, SL to Max Alt. But, then Hitech would have to perk it again. And the Spit14 over the continent went to war burning 150oct. It just didn't have much endurance for range.

Our 18lb boost spit14 is a dog until it gets above 20k where it starts to be faster and out climb the K4.

All of this is from the comparison page at: http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit14v109.html

The gonzo AH comparison page, if you put in the spit8, 14 and K4, is very generous to the spit8 and spit14 performance as a generalization to the K4. The other link shows the 18lb boost spit14 as a dog which is what our spit14 is rated.

Compare the 18lb boost spit14 and K4 here, then go back and look at that compared to the other link: http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 04:26:57 PM »
Not at all. They have very different downs. The biggest "down" for most players in the K-4 is getting used to the tater ballistics, the thick cockpit frame (no issue if you got trackir) and the stiff controls at high speeds.
For the XIV it's being an unstable weapon platform - The K-4 is rock stable and precise in comparison.

The K-4 is faster than the Spit 14  up to about 24k (and there's little combat above that these days) and is effectively the much better climber to altitude due to it's generous WEP.

You can say that for many planes.
There are much better planes in the Spit 14's performance leage, so those will be of course more popular. With it's rather extreme mixture of pros and cons it's essentially a mediocre fighter in AH's very unique combat environment.

Then ist weird that K-4 is ENY 15 while XIV is ENY 5
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
The K4 is actually a pretty hard plane to fly, despite its performance measures. The majority of people who don't fly it a lot have a hard time getting kills and being successful in it.

A great fight is an La7 Vs spit 14.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »
Little OT but it feels like the spits are a little too fragile, havent got the impressions that irl spite were weaker than other comparable fighters. The difference between spits and Yak-3 for ex is just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:47:15 PM by Zimme83 »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »
Then ist weird that K-4 is ENY 15 while XIV is ENY 5

As far as I'm concerned, both could be at 10-12 ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 04:48:39 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, both could be at 10-12 ;)

Would be  more reasonable.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
Like what I said covers the spit14. Btw violator the k4 is easy mode. Hardest 109s to fly are 109g14 and 109g6. In my opinion I think the spit14 is the sexiest spit out of all. Also la7 will eat up a spit14 below 9k. I love talking about these old school planes.  :cheers:
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 05:29:22 PM »
The K4 is actually a pretty hard plane to fly, despite its performance measures. The majority of people who don't fly it a lot have a hard time getting kills and being successful in it.

A great fight is an La7 Vs spit 14.

Anyone with patience and a few years of fighter flight experience in our game can land 2-3 kills each sortie in a K4 if they don't ACM. Just perch on the edges of furballs, dive through, stick the spinner up their target's rear end and climb out. It's by the 3rd or 4th time you try to setup for a repeat, a few of the enemy have caught on and begin getting alt to challenge you. It is the perfect drive through and back shoot people ride for our game because you get up on station 2-3 times faster than many other rides. And if you need to climb away, you are free.

Now if you want to ACM with it.....find a muppet and live in the DA for about 6 months..... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 07:35:50 PM »
There was a reason they considered renaming the Griffon Spits.  The XIV is a much different bird.  If you fly it like  lighter Merlin Spit its not as effective.  Take advantage of the speed and climb and it can be a beast.

I remember flying around in the Spit Vb back prior to a scenario and running into Spit 14s.  They could have completely controlled the fight but they appeared to believe the higher number meant they could turn better and they'd get slow with the Vb get turned inside and killed.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 11:54:42 PM »
The K4 is actually a pretty hard plane to fly, despite its performance measures.

Agreed.

But the Spit 14 is harder.  Much harder.  Possibly the most difficult plane in the AH plane set to fly well.

IMHO, that is!

- oldman