Author Topic: Upgrading a Dell small tower computer  (Read 483 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Upgrading a Dell small tower computer
« on: July 19, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »
Today I picked up a used, Dell Optiplex 760 is the small (though not the smallest) case. I have not plugged it in and thus unable to pull a report. When I pop the case open the only thing I see that I understand is one label that says
"Barracuda 7200.10
80 Gbytes"

I am told this was a very generic Dell that was used by a big corporation, nothing special. Is anyone familiar with this model? In general, is it worth trying to upgrade this? Can it be upgraded?

Thanks in advance!

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Upgrading a Dell small tower computer
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 03:11:59 PM »
It does not support the ATX form PSU, so you can change the CPU, replace memory, put in a larger HDD, and maybe a better GPU, but the PSU will limit how much power the GPU will get. You can still get MBs for $20, so that might tell you a little something.

I would use it for book keeping, email, or maybe give it to a school kid.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:44:59 PM »
So I can update it and it will be good at surfing the Web but nothing more?

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 07:51:17 PM »
You can probably put a faster CPU in it, like up to a Q9650 for instance (or E8400). The problem is the power supply is not likely to have enough juice to power even a GTX 9800, which will likely be the minimum for AH3. You can check out how the power supply is mounted, but I am betting that you cannot put anything larger in. So, what you said is pretty close to reality. Graphically intense games are going to be tough.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 08:09:57 PM »
This shows how someone upgraded a similar Dell computer.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/299280-32-dell-optiplex-upgrade
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 08:12:55 PM »
Thanks Drane, now that I see how tight it would be I would not recommend it. Air flow is going to kill the GPU and drives.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »
You may as well give this computer to the poorest people you know.