Author Topic: GTX970 card vs GTX980ti  (Read 6305 times)

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
GTX970 card vs GTX980ti
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:22:03 AM »
If all I'm going to do is use it for AH, is there any reason to spend the extra $350 on the GTX980ti?  I think both are 4GB.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: GTX970 card vs GTX980ti
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »
It depends. Here's some facts I've learned so far:
  • The future AH will be much more GPU dependent than the current version.
  • There's something about the GTX970 not having full 4 GB, although it likely won't matter in AH.
  • There's a reason for the harder price of the 980ti. Aside of the memory it's got more oomph.
  • If you're thinking of upgrading your monitor to higher resolutions than 1920x1080 or higher refresh rate than 60 Hz, the 980 would make a difference.
  • As well as triple monitors

Both are good, both will run the current and next AH reasonably well at a good frame rate and with quite a lot of details.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »
I just bought into the 2160p world by buying a 40" UHD monitor (VA). I was on the fence about whether even the GTX 980 in SLI was truly enough for that much real estate. This screen is something that will be available this fall for under $500 (probably $350-400). This is the way gaming is going and so I tested my setup in Metro Redux.  The 980Ti (36fps) is able to power this monitor easily though still trailing the GTX 980 SLI (58 fps) setup, so I would recommend it before any other card. I regret only that I have not yet gotten a second 980Ti, but in fairness I don't need them yet.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 12:40:28 AM »
The 970 is sufficient enough to run the next version of AH with the graphics on the highest settings and maintain a solid 60fps.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 11:02:17 AM »
The 970 is sufficient enough to run the next version of AH with the graphics on the highest settings and maintain a solid 60fps.

At 4k? And bear in mind that not only are people going to want 4k, but the situation in AHIII may still change. Hopefully, once it is in full release we can finally get an SLI profile, too.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 11:11:12 AM »
I just upgraded from a GTX 760 SC to a 970 SSC. 

At 4k? And bear in mind that not only are people going to want 4k, but the situation in AHIII may still change. Hopefully, once it is in full release we can finally get an SLI profile, too.

What percentage of players do you think will be using a 4K monitor anytime soon?  I'm happy with my 5 year old, 27 inch "low tech junk".   :D

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 11:51:43 AM »
What percentage of players do you think will be using a 4K monitor anytime soon?  I'm happy with my 5 year old, 27 inch "low tech junk".   :D
That percentage may be bigger than you might believe. The biggest problem with that is, that those who are able to get a 4k monitor or TV don't necessarily realize that it equals four HD monitors in terms of stressing the computer, especially GPU. I've already heard a fellow AH'er wonder why his frame rates got so poor after getting a better monitor which appeared to be 4K.

You say you're happy with your 5 year old monitor. Would you like to go back to a 4/3 one? No? What if your current one quit working? Would you get a similar one or rather a 4K or an 144 Hz, because it'd be "better" and "up to date" or even "preparing for the near future"? There's quite a lot AH'ers with a steady income and no more debts who'd be likely to spend an extra $200 to get something they think would pay the price difference back in longevity.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 12:27:21 PM »
I just upgraded from a GTX 760 SC to a 970 SSC. 

I'm not interested in percentages. When you start seeing UHD monitors in the 40" range drop to $350-450, which I believe will be this Thanksgiving, then you can ask yourself if you want to upgrade. I believe that is when the transition will begin. I still remember wishing I could afford a 21" monitor when they were $5,000 or more. But once you try a 40" you will realize that the 21", 23", 24", or 27" were nice in their day, but it's a new day now. I was happy with three 24" monitors, and then 28" and so on, but moving to the single larger screen was (is) inevitable. Each in his own time.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »
Even with the new AH graphics, my 1920x1200 resolution monitor looks plenty good to me.  I can't go any bigger, without getting a bigger apartment.  I sit two feet from this one.  Not sure what the benefit is to spend $400 on a monitor, when it would necessitate spending $2000 more on multiple high end video cards to get the most from it. 

I'd love to have the biggest monitor and state of the art video cards but with AH being the only game on my system, all that $$$ seems to invoke the law of diminishing returns.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 01:46:14 PM »
Again, that's your assessment, which if I was in your position I might agree (except your dollar figures are WAY off). A single 980 Ti is more than enough, and it's not even $700. Distance from my 40" to my nose is 26", so if your apartment prevents you from moving back 2" you must live in a sardine can.

You can power a 4k monitor with a single GTX 670, or 660 Ti, though you may not get full graphics settings in AHIII. With all this being true I think you are just arguing that YOU can't/won't do this, which is your decision.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 01:49:45 PM »
I'm running a 970 in my rig. Solid card. Does well with most games. ArmA can hiccup sometimes.

As far as Aces High, it knocks it out of the park. On the Alpha, all settings are near max or are maxed and I'm still cranking out 55-60fps.

One 1600 by 900 monitor.
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »
Again, that's your assessment, which if I was in your position I might agree (except your dollar figures are WAY off). A single 980 Ti is more than enough, and it's not even $700. Distance from my 40" to my nose is 26", so if your apartment prevents you from moving back 2" you must live in a sardine can.
<snip>

Some if us have a nice home, but with little desktop space.  I do not have space on my desk for anything larger than a 27" panel.  Even with that, I do not have space for a joystick. 

My monitor is less than 18" from my face and that is as far back as it will go.  And that is the state of my 3,200 square foot sardine can.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 03:44:56 PM »
That percentage may be bigger than you might believe. The biggest problem with that is, that those who are able to get a 4k monitor or TV don't necessarily realize that it equals four HD monitors in terms of stressing the computer, especially GPU. I've already heard a fellow AH'er wonder why his frame rates got so poor after getting a better monitor which appeared to be 4K.

You say you're happy with your 5 year old monitor. Would you like to go back to a 4/3 one? No? What if your current one quit working? Would you get a similar one or rather a 4K or an 144 Hz, because it'd be "better" and "up to date" or even "preparing for the near future"? There's quite a lot AH'ers with a steady income and no more debts who'd be likely to spend an extra $200 to get something they think would pay the price difference back in longevity.

Just to add some truism to Biz's post I am currently considering to pick up 1 of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-466

to use w/ this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202155

Should be on my doorstep next week.

:D  :salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 04:25:02 PM »
Some if us have a nice home, but with little desktop space.

I realize I was being a little sarcastic, but I was replying to sarcasm as I read it. And do not see any doubt that there will be movement toward 4k coming quickly. Caldera is correct about diminishing returns in some areas and we all have to weigh our options carefully, as with anything. The way I look at it the 4k option on smaller screens would be a worse decision, which is why I was (in the end) disappointed with the way DSR worked out (not supported by SLI setups).

Yankee is after all asking about a high end video card. In the case of the 980 Ti it will support 4k easily, and can even push apparent resolutions (with DSR) to 6k while still maintaining 30-48 fps in AH. I would prefer the FPS to resolution, but I also prefer screen real estate when it comes to gunnery. That is especially true in AH when I am trying to snipe Dr7 behind a tree several kilometers away.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 05:35:03 PM »
And you sir, are correct about my sardine can domicile.  :cheers: