Author Topic: Cecil killed with a bow and arrow  (Read 8733 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Cecil killed with a bow and arrow
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2015, 11:39:38 PM »
Young male lions form gangs. They have to eat.

Any Lion will kill when they see a chance for a meal. Anytime. They will gladly hunt down and eat you.

"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2015, 01:09:11 AM »
Male lions do plenty of killing. They commonly kill other predators and seem especially fond of killing hyenas.  They kill other males, they often kill cubs when they takeover a pride and they kill for food.  A male with a pride is happy to let the females do the bulk of the hunting.

Its not unlikely that the Cecil killed the existing cubs when he took over the pride.  Not uncommon for the mother to eat the dead cubs.
AMAX  in game

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2015, 02:04:23 AM »
Male lions do plenty of killing. They commonly kill other predators and seem especially fond of killing hyenas.  They kill other males, they often kill cubs when they takeover a pride and they kill for food.  A male with a pride is happy to let the females do the bulk of the hunting.

Its not unlikely that the Cecil killed the existing cubs when he took over the pride.  Not uncommon for the mother to eat the dead cubs.

According to the researcher who worked with him for 9 years, Cecil was displaced from his territory and eventually teamed up with Jericho to manage two prides of lionesses. The problem is that if you kill off the male lion, you expose the females and their cubs to predation from other males. There's a possibility that Jericho may be dead as well, but if not, he might not be able to hold both prides by himself, which means upwards of a dozen of their mates and offspring may be displaced or outright killed.

Whatever the internet has made of it, the simple question at hand is whether or not this type of hunting is acceptable, and whether or not it should be stopped. All the rest of it...the death threats from the left, the name-calling from the right, is political BS.

And the argument that lions are hunters and killers is BS as well. We know what they are and what they do...they're animals that are dangerous if not given the proper respect. That doesn't justify wiping out the species, or anything that Palmer and his associates have done. If what they did was illegal, they should be prosecuted. End of story.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:12:04 AM by Muzzy »

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2015, 02:53:36 AM »
It is not OK anywere to have an animal to suffer for 40 hours before u finally kill it. If u are going to hunt and kill an animal u must make sure that it dies quickly. If u cannot do that u should not shoot.

It seems to me that he said "i want to kill Cesil, here is a lot of money, make it happen". I hardly belive that it was a coincident that it was this individual lion he killed. That kind of "hunting" has nothing to do with real hunt. It is not uncommon with rich people that pays to kill a trophy, often a trophy that is placed infront of their rifle.
Hunting is not about killing animals, its more about making sure u have a strong population that can live on for a long time. That mean u cannot just shoot whatever animal that shows up, it means that you leave the important individuals, like strong males and females w kids so that the population can grow stronger.
In case of lions it seems like a bad idea to kill an alpha male like this, it has a huge impact on the rest of the pack. If u absolutley want to kill a male lion, go after the ones without a pack.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2015, 03:19:38 AM »
I'm willing to bet that the individuals who organized the hunt got all the right permits but set their lure too close to the preserve, attempting to justify the kill by saying it wasn't on the preserve itself. I would expect that there were lions outside the preserve that would have been legal for them to kill, but they simply set up where they knew the lions were, and didn't bother to check how close they were to the preserve or whether the lion in question had been collared. I'll also bet they've done this kind of thing before and simply haven't been caught. So no, I don't think they deliberately targeted Cecil, but they did bend the rules in order to get their client a kill.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2015, 03:57:56 AM »
Do think dentist boy will do my teeth cut price since he will need the coin?

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2015, 04:15:42 AM »
Do think dentist boy will do my teeth cut price since he will need the coin?

Lawyers don't come cheap. Also, you might end up like this:

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2015, 08:31:24 AM »
There is no way this hunt happened without the corrupt moronic Govt. of Zimbabwe allowing it. Somewhere there was one of Mugabe's cronies making money off of this Lion hunt. So why would anyone want to see an American prosecuted by such a vicious corrupt Govt.? What would be his chances for a fair trial?

Of course now they are now screaming bloody murder cause they got caught. But here is one example of Mad Bobs wild life conservation http://www.radiodialogue.com/concern-slaughter-wild-animals-mugabe-bash/ This guy is another Idi Amin, I wont post links about his atrocities, you can look them up yourself, but nobody kills a Lion in Zim without paying their dime to Mad Bob.

You all are blaming a Dentist when an entire wildlife haven has been decimated by another lunatic Africa Dictator. Let alone the human price, which is estimated at 300,000 slaughtered, millions displaced and an entire economy in ruins.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2015, 08:38:22 AM »
I think he s misunderstood :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2015, 10:05:04 AM »
He should be prosecuted plain and simple, and all the other crap he's getting, hey you shouldn't have done what you did, now it's time to pay the piper.  Some people feel that strongly about killing Cecil.  Do I personally feel that strongly, no, there are people being killed everyday, that is what I'm mostly concerned with, I don't have the energy to be mr. planet... but some people do, and frankly I don't have much sympathy for the dentist when he was in the wrong from the beginning.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:13:04 AM by craz07 »
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2015, 10:16:58 AM »
This planet is so effed up it's not even funny anymore..  human population growth is exploding out of hand.... we have more industrialization and trash everyday that just piles up polluting everything.. now its the killing of the animals... pretty soon all we'll have is dogs cats and cattle etc. on this planet... I'd like to know who were the great minds that guided us to this level... AND MY ELECTRIC BILL IS THROUGH THE ROOF DUE TO GLOBAL WARMING!! (ok I can be Mr. Planetish sometimes)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:21:49 AM by craz07 »

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2015, 01:14:37 PM »
Is it just me, or does craz seem like a troll? I find it hard to believe anyone can be that sweethearty and ignorant.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »
why do you have to take it to that level, how am i ignorant
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:21:53 PM by craz07 »

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
just because you never have anything interesting or funny to say on the boards you have to say that, well i say that your the one trolling now
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:48:59 PM by craz07 »