Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 7124 times)

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
Windows 10
« on: July 30, 2015, 07:24:59 AM »
Anybody try it out yet? What do you think? I never used Windows 8, upgraded straight from Windows 7 and so far I'm pretty satisfied. Seems to run smoother, and looks very nice.

If it hasn't automatically downloaded for you, you can download it right now from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Offline bq82

• Zinc Member
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:02:02 AM »
Like the interface, and the boot to desktop time on my old system here is a lot faster.  My screen resolution is a problem now and AH crashes now and I can't even get it to run in compatibility mode.  I'll be rolling back on this old machine at least until I upgrade/build a new one.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 09:06:08 AM »
Is it actually AH crashing, or is it the launcher?

I'm still using the technical preview and I sometimes get that same issue with the launcher. It will crash every time I try to open it. Sometimes restarting helps, if not I just try again another day.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:09:28 AM »
In the history of Microsoft, they have never had an operating system update, which did not have the ability to make a mess of a computer.

Just saying.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 09:18:07 AM »
Strange.. current AH has been running smoother than ever for me. What resolution are you on bq82? Make sure under display settings "Change the size of text and other items" is at 100%

Speaking of the game, Skuzzy, is there any way to force the Alpha to play in windowed mode? I've been unable to get it to run on my ATI card.. always defaults to the Intel card. Playing in windowed or windowed borderless fixes the issue with other games.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »
I can usually run AH pretty well, both the alpha and the current game (as well as I would expect on the current hardware running it anyway).

I was running into a problem a few builds ago where if I was in game for long periods of time, I would get a BSOD when I tried to exit the game. It happened whether I saved the sorties or not. I also did have one BSOD while I was in flight during the scenario, but I had been recording for over an hour.

I haven't had that issue in a while though, and I was never really able to replicate it on command. It just sort of happened.

Also, lest we forget; this was the hype 20 years ago:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:48:37 AM »
Strange.. current AH has been running smoother than ever for me. What resolution are you on bq82? Make sure under display settings "Change the size of text and other items" is at 100%

Speaking of the game, Skuzzy, is there any way to force the Alpha to play in windowed mode? I've been unable to get it to run on my ATI card.. always defaults to the Intel card. Playing in windowed or windowed borderless fixes the issue with other games.

There is no way to run the Alpha in windowed mode.  The performance hit would make the game unplayable, for all but the highest end video cards and CPU's.

Why not just disable the Intel GPU?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 04:36:16 PM »
I'm a bit put off by mandatory updates.
Most of my equipment is in an office environment, and once I get things working they need to stay working.  I update when I have the time to make sure all systems that are impacted can be checked and fixed.
I don't believe that option is there for Win10, it will not be in my computers at work, nor at home.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »
So far I am liking Windows 10.. It's a lot better than Windows 8. I think.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 06:54:56 PM »
One of the players in the alpha is getting horrible FPS with a good GDDR5 high band width video card due to being on Win10.

Some one else can dig out that discussion, or it might be in the closed alpha forum posts. Was interesting reading the reasoning behind the low FPS being the video drivers shipped with 10 are older and not very many drivers of any kind available yet for 10.

Sounds like a Caveat Emptor response to Win10 is due here.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 07:33:11 PM »
I have always waited for the 1st service pack before upgrading.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »
In the history of Microsoft, they have never had an operating system update, which did not have the ability to make a mess of a computer.

Just saying.

I only bothered to read this to see what you said oh guru of all that is windows.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 10:39:04 PM »
I would love to replace Win 8.1 on my new 2in1 but not if I can't choose to reject MS update items. I hid maybe a quarter of the 8.1 updates and still hide Win 7 update items occasionally so no thanks to 10 right now.
I'll wait until I can review and reject MS drivers and snooping updates or not upgrade until forced to do so.

I clicked the 'Reserve my Copy of Windows 10' button, or whatever it said. I normally keep the Win 8 machine offline.

Does anyone know if that action will force an upgrade the next time I log the machine onto the web?

Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 12:00:31 AM »
Until a game I want to play starts showing improved performance or requires DirectX 12, I don't see a huge need to update.  I'll make a decision before the year anniversary for sure, on whether to get the free update or stick with 7 for a long time.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 12:11:13 AM »
Win10 is still glitchy.  In fact it feels a bit like a Linux distro in that manner.  For example, the backup and recovery utility in control panel is lifted straight from windows 7, and is even labeled "backup and recovery windows 7".  And it doesn't work entirely right.  For example, I could easily make a backup image onto a secondary hard drive in my computer, however making that same backup image to a network location aborted with an error about "incompatible file type".

So yea, its nice and has some nice features but it feels unfinished.  I've had some other weird glitches like the 12GB it downloaded from my old WHS computer, the logfile it slammed with hundreds of error entries every second (how ya like *THAT*, SSD memory cells!), and some other strange indexing and windows defender settings that don't seem obvious how they work.  But overall its workable and the upgrade installation was seamless on a lightly used win7 machine and a lightly used win8.1 convertible tablet/laptop (acer transformer with keyboard).

I still don't trust it enough to upgrade my main computer though.  Too much legacy software that I don't trust to work with win10 is my biggest concern.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.