Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 7126 times)

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
The only thing I'm worried about is the forced automatic updates as it includes drivers. That could get messy, but I'm hoping it is intelligent enough to not overwrite custom/OEM drivers.

Could you check is it possible to go to ControlPanel -> Administrative Tools -> Component Services ->Services, find Windows Update service then stop it and in its properties disable it from automatic load on startup ? This may stop this M$ annoyance with forced updates.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2015, 01:04:16 AM »
Could you check is it possible to go to ControlPanel -> Administrative Tools -> Component Services ->Services, find Windows Update service then stop it and in its properties disable it from automatic load on startup ? This may stop this M$ annoyance with forced updates.

Yes that would work, but it isn't a complete solution. You'd still want updates, but the problem is that you don't get to choose which updates to install. If you stop the update service at least it won't update in the middle of a gaming session or interrupt important work, but that's about it.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Found a little app that disables the annoying, constantly active Defender. I use Malwarebytes instead.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
Well, I've rudely discovered a new danger of Windows 10:

Rather than using license keys, Windows activation is instead tied to the hardware ID of your motherboard. Which means if you're in the habit of periodically upgrading your stuff, replacing the main board will BLOCK YOUR LICENSE KEY and deactivate Windows.

The best part is: MICROSOFT APPARENTLY HAS NO PROCESS IN PLACE TO FIX THE ACTIVATION FOR UPGRADE USERS.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »
If you change the motherboard it's s new computer in Microsoft's view, and thus you'll need a new windows license.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »
If you change the motherboard it's s new computer in Microsoft's view, and thus you'll need a new windows license.
Make AH work on Linux so I can finally ditch windows!
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2015, 01:35:42 PM »

I changed my board out TWICE under Windows 7 and it was never a problem. This is NOT a valid excuse; it may be fine for casual users who are content with off the shelf Wal-Mart specials, but this is absolutely CRIPPLING for enthusiasts who build their own systems and may be constantly upgrading and modifying their rigs.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2015, 02:08:35 PM »
I agree; Microsoft is screwing the enthusiast market. However, the off-the-shelf market is so dominating that MS couldn't care less that a few enthusiasts are left out. Windows is now a part of the "device" you buy and not a separate piece of software that you can transfer to another device.

That said Microsoft is moving towards a free OS business model, so W10 is likely the last Windows OS you'll have to pay for.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »
I agree; Microsoft is screwing the enthusiast market. However, the off-the-shelf market is so dominating that MS couldn't care less that a few enthusiasts are left out. Windows is now a part of the "device" you buy and not a separate piece of software that you can transfer to another device.

That said Microsoft is moving towards a free OS business model, so W10 is likely the last Windows OS you'll have to pay for.

Unless they make W10 like some versions of their office software and you have to pay a yearly fee to keep your product key active, and once it expires you will have a dead PC until you pay the MS ransom
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
I agree  :old:
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2015, 05:33:59 PM »
Unless they make W10 like some versions of their office software and you have to pay a yearly fee to keep your product key active, and once it expires you will have a dead PC until you pay the MS ransom

Apple and Google are offering their OS' for free, and that's the only reason MS is moving (ever so slowly) towards a free OS business model. A subscription fee would kill them.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2015, 09:30:28 PM »
Can anyone tell me...

Friday I read that MS Office breaks on Windows 10.
Specifically, I use Office 2003, Excel and Word. I have 2007 on the shelf behind me and I tried 05 (I think it was.) They are both trash. My brother told me 2010 was more of the same so no way will I use Office 365 or whatever it's called. So until I see Office 2003 running on it, 10 is a non-starter here.

So again, my question; is anyone here running Office 2003 on Windows 10?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2015, 09:49:36 PM »
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2015, 10:12:54 PM »
Make AH work on Linux so I can finally ditch windows!
   :aok :aok :aok :aok

YES!!!!
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2015, 10:14:21 PM »
Windows 10 can disable pirated games and "unauthorized hardware"

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/407894,microsoft-can-disable-your-pirated-games-and-illegal-hardware.aspx

That would explain why the copy of photoshop that my brother got off of pirate bay didn't work!  :rofl

Guess I don't need to block PB through the router after all.