Author Topic: Apple Extreme question  (Read 367 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Apple Extreme question
« on: August 16, 2015, 08:26:01 AM »
Severe t-storms blew thru the area with a cpl of very close lightening strikes near the house. My Apple extreme wifi/router base won't power up now...tried a hard & soft reset...no front light  :bhead  Google search says it's probably dead but before I shell out for a replacement, is there anything else that can be tried besides the reset?

I use an Apple Express with the Extreme...can that be used as a temporary wifi source?

Thanks.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Apple Extreme question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
Another power supply, maybe? I don't know Apple gear much, but I suppose it has an external transformer as other brands. Of course, with a dedicated plug...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
I wondered the same thing. Guess it's worth taking it to store that sells Extremes and try it with a different PS.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »
A quick test doesn't necessarily tell the truth. Our thunders can't be called storms, but sometimes a strike can kill a router. Often the power source is intact but either the ethernet or wifi is dead. The strike will ground the easiest way. So if it's thunderstruck, it'd be better to replace the whole thing. Had to get something to eat for my brain to produce this simple piece of advice.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »
Double check other things in the house...if you have other items that are not working (expecially low voltage items) you may have been hit by lightning......it's covered under homeowners insurance....

Just a thought
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »
Trouble is, homeowners deductible is $500 and my only issue is the dead Airport Extreme.

Trip to best Buy and $190 later, I'm back with a new Extreme. Followed the set-up routine (cable LAN to Extreme) and computer LAN to Extreme  output connection. Can't get past the blinking amber lights on the Extreme  :bhead :bhead :bhead

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 03:35:45 PM »
Trouble is, homeowners deductible is $500 and my only issue is the dead Airport Extreme.

Trip to best Buy and $190 later, I'm back with a new Extreme. Followed the set-up routine (cable LAN to Extreme) and computer LAN to Extreme  output connection. Can't get past the blinking amber lights on the Extreme  :bhead :bhead :bhead

Gottcha....I'm a property adjuster and many times an insd never knows until some minor thing like that happens (after a t-storm) ...then they notice other other things that aren't working
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.