Author Topic: Turn-fighting and Stall-fighting in 190's  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
Turn-fighting and Stall-fighting in 190's
« on: August 23, 2015, 01:12:56 PM »
Some slow, turning, stalling action:

Ta 152 vs Yak-3 [Link]

190D-9 vs Yak-3 [Link]

190D-9 vs P-51D [Link]

-=S=-
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Turn-fighting and Stall-fighting in 190's
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
Very nice films Skyyr!  :aok

I did notice that you made a few minor mistakes though that nearly get you killed though. Just thought I'd help you out and point them out and how to correct for them so you can improve your skills even further.

In the first film at the 1:45 mark you're turning left into the yak and he's turning right into you. Then you roll right and pull up and this put you in his gunsight and he almost lands a shot on you. Luckily he did miss his shot but had he landed it then you would have been rewarded with a trip to the tower. What you should have done is roll slightly more left and get your lift vector behind and below him. With him coming from above you this would have made the shot impossible to make or, at the very least, significantly more difficult than the shot you gave him by rolling right.

At 2:27 you get an absolute perfect crossing shot on the yak but are unable to land any shot. You really gotta land those shots. Missing those shots can spell the end of your sortie.

At 3:07 you're pulling a right turn into the Yak as he comes over the top and dives down on you. As he closes on you you roll back to the left and avoid a very close collision. The mistake here is the Yak came very close to pulling a shot on you. While he was not able to pull for the shot you can hear him fire his guns meaning that he was very close to doing so. A more skilled opponent would have landed the shot. What you could have done is go level as the Yak is coming over the top (3:03 mark) and immediately start pulling up into the vertical. This would absolutely deny him any shot as he comes down and give you better positioning as well. When he misses the shot you'll have a better shot on him when he overshoots.

One other minor thing with that sequence as well is you cut throttle all the way as he misses his shot. This is completely unnecessary as it's too late to have any effect on this shot and all it does it waste a small amount of speed while you're 0 throttle. That tiny amount of speed could prove to be vital later on in the fight, but luckily that is not the case this time around.

At 3:20 you could be in trouble had the Yak gone vertical but he does not. This confirms that your opponent is not very skilled. His turn back into you also gives you yet another perfect crossing shot and once again you miss your shot. Perhaps you should work a little more on your aim?

The fight ends with the Yak augering but had this fight lasted any longer or your opponent had been a bit more skilled you could have been in some serious trouble, and this all comes down to the small mistakes you made that I pointed out.

The second film at the 0:37 mark you get a beautiful crossing shot opportunity on the Yak, but just like the previous video you miss your shot and unlike the previous video this is going to come back to bite you.

Immediately after missing your shot you roll away from the Yak and dive under him. This is actually a good idea to use the Yak's speed against him when he dives on you and you do set it up nicely, but then you mess up the execution. The Yak misses his first shot but you roll over way too early and you put yourself right back into his gunsight. Missing that shot earlier now comes back to get you as the Yak lands some hits on you. The Yak's shot breaks your gear off and this is going to make landing a bit more tricky as there is now a higher chance of missing the concrete and getting a ditch.

At 1:23 you get, yet again, another perfect shot and once again miss it. You REALLY gotta land those shots. You also missed yet another shot at 1:35 but this was a slightly more difficult shot as you were already pulling as hard as the 190 will go.

You finally just give up on trying to aim (probably a good idea at this point) and spray ammo at the Yak and land some hits and kill him. You can slow down the film on this part and see how much lead you needed to land the hits. Study this and and you'll be able to start improving your aim.

The third film was very nice! No mistakes whatsoever! Beautifully executed overshoot and perfect shot!  :aok

Just trying to help out here. You are showing some improvements since your last films!  :salute :cheers:

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 04:27:37 PM »
Thank you, but if I require assistance, I'll request it.

Also, nice fight the other night, although I expected it to last longer than the 12 seconds that it did (you logged before I could throw you a salute). You're definitely getting better. ;)

-=S=-
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 04:31:29 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 04:30:35 PM »
Are you talking about the Emil vs La7? That was just like the 3rd film you posted. Very nicely executed. I must admit I was a bit tired at the time having been playing games all day and it was pretty late so my judgment was not the best at the time. Sorry I didn't stay logged for the <S> as I was heading to bed. I hope you can accept my salute now  :salute

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:10:35 AM »
can we have a latrobe vs skyyr DA match and the youtube video uploaded before the 10pm News this evening? 

or get a room??? 

loser of each fight picks the next plane.     :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 11:18:45 AM »
can we have a latrobe vs skyyr DA match and the youtube video uploaded before the 10pm News this evening? 

or get a room??? 

loser of each fight picks the next plane.     :aok

I've made a challenge to him several times now. He has declined every single one.  :(

I would be willing to share a room with Skyyr if he wants to! I might even bring Glzz and Raynos with me and we can have a nice four-way! :x
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:25:11 AM by Latrobe »

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 06:57:13 PM »
I'll get Rays diaper.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:37:43 PM by glzsqd »
See Rule #4

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member