Author Topic: Dump thru CV deck to water  (Read 360 times)

Offline Smoke44

• Zinc Member
Dump thru CV deck to water
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
Have had this happen intermittently. Press the “Launch” button from the bridge, and instead of landing on the deck in preparation for takeoff, you fall through the deck.

In the latest example, I had attempted a takeoff from a CV, and during the run down the deck, the cv started turning, or I over corrected, and ended going off the left side, forward deck. Caught the right wing and plunged to the water.

Upon on landing in the bridge, I pressed “Launch” and immediately fell thru the deck.

If you look at the film for the initial takeoff attempt, you see something real strange. As the roll is started down the deck, all of a sudden the CV swaps ends, and the roll is now toward the stern, (backend for non- Navy types). And looking at the land mass in the film, you see that the TG really did swap directions. Didn't stand a chance taking off down wind.  :airplane:

Flight struggles out over open water and then the right wing is snapped off, followed by the plunge to the water. 

The following pics are as seen in the film, but the real-time views were normal, none of the reversal stuff.

Engine start:  all normal

11 seconds into film: CV swapped ends... notice the whole TG swapped direction

24 seconds in: wing snaps off from hitting now invisible CV.

There are two attached files. One is of the first takeoff attempt, the second file is the second attempt, and plunge through the deck. This one is a short film of 1 second and only shows a view of a land base tower.

This is the first time I’ve gone back to look at a film of one of the “fall thru the deck” episodes, so don’t know if something similar happened before.

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
Re: Dump thru CV deck to water
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »
In the Film Viewer the CV will "snap" to its new course instead of sailing around to its new course.  The CV most likely reached the end of its track and was making a 180 degree turn when you started your roll.  The CV can only sail in straight lines in the Film Viewer so the CV suddenly swapped ends.

You can test this for yourself by launching to the deck, then open the clipboard and plot a new course for the task group you are on.  Start filming before you click the submit button.  Keep filming until the CV gets turned to the new heading.  When you view the film you will see your aircraft follows the path it took over the water but the CV will instantly turn to the new course and sail out from under your plane.  If you run enough film for the CV to settle on its new course, your plane will be back on the deck at the end of the film.

Offline Smoke44

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:57:52 AM »
Thx Mach..............  now how about the "falling thru the deck" stuff? That wasn't part of it was it? That was the reason for me going back to look at the film in the first place.

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 11:38:17 AM »
I have had the same intermittent fall through the deck experience.  Has anyone got the CV to burn?  I can sink it, but it does not burn for me.

Offline Smoke44

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »
Only way I have been able to make it burn is via the "Destroy" option in arena setup.