Author Topic: AK's looking for small squads to fly FSO  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
AK's looking for small squads to fly FSO
« on: September 01, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »
I need to freshen up the information.  Frame 1 for The Battle of Britain begins this Friday night.

The AK’s are largely comprised of previous AH smaller squads (3 to 5 pilots). We’re also active with FSO.  We’re aware some of you in smaller squads may not have enough members to commit your squad to FSO. Therefore, we would like to extend an invitation to your squad to join us on Friday nights for FSO.  We’re required to keep our squad under a certain number of pilots so we would need advanced notice if you’re interested in flying with us during an FSO frame. 

The AK’s have enjoyed a stable and structured organization since the early 90's.  Our members are from around the country, Canada, and from overseas.  Many of us have US military backgrounds and others have family members who flew WWII aircraft but all of us are general aviation and Aces High enthusiasts.  If you or your squadron mates are interested in flying with us on Friday nights contact Shrike (AKShrike) or SCCA (AKMeathd) via forum PM and we’ll get you in the FSO game. Happy hunting!!

I’ll leave you with a few films AKTap put together from some past FSO frames.  Crank it up and select HD.

Coral Sea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuZgoHTGxPo
War in the Islands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_sk-Qo21Jk

:rock
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: AK's looking for small squads to fly FSO
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:28:08 PM »
If I may...................

As a former member of the Arabian Knights, I heartily recommend them.  If it were not for my addiction to Luftwaffe aircraft I would still be a member of this most excellent of squads.  There was never any squabbling within that I ever heard.  they are a patient and inviting group of folks.  As has been said, if you are alone, or in a small squad and wish to fly in the FSO's, the AK's would most likely be your best choice.  Even if it is a temporary situation for your squad, you will learn how to conduct yourselves with class and honor and help to make the FSO's the best part of the game as the AK's have done now for many years.

As a member of JG11, we know, the battle that we want will always be with the AK's and we look forward to flying against them whenever possible.

:salute My friends of the Arabian Knights  :)
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:02:06 AM »
The AK's have always been a class act, IMHO.   :salute

But I've never heard the story behind the origin of that distinctive squad name...? 

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:21:48 AM »
Back in the day.....AKNimitz taught me to fly.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 12:00:10 PM »
For Bino -

The original members of what became the Arabian Knights started out as a group of college friends who wrote their own simulator in the early 90's.  They were known as the Sim Guild.  The fruit of their labor was published as 'Flying Circus'.  When they flew interactively they had an 'SG' prefix and callsign.

Their informal enterprise gradually became SimGuild Inc. and they took up office space above an internet service provider - Sirinet (Sirius Systems Group-Lawton, Oklahoma).  When Sirinet's owner, David Maury, came upstairs to see what was going on, the SimGuild guys quickly hooked him.  Maury offered to support the internet venture.  He eventually became AKDoc.  Flying Circus had a highly regarded 3-year run.

The Arabian Knights squadron was the first squadron formed in Red Baron I by AKCobra in 1992.  Our traditions can be traced to that time.  Some of the original Simguild pilots were members.  AKCobra and AKCurly were truly our founding fathers.  Where did they get the name?  Nobody knows for sure, but there was a pretty cool Howard Hughes Film from 1927 called "Two Arabian Knights" and in my mind it's a prime suspect.

AKCurly is a revered member of the Arabian Knights.  He is a professor, and mentored several of the SG founders in their student days.  Because of the persistence of then student SG_RedBaron, Curly enthusiastically became a flying combat simulator addict.

It was AKCurly that brought the Arabian Knights to the first Aces High Beta.  So we are among the oldest squadrons in on-line combat simulations and one of the first squadrons in Aces High.  Over the years in Aces High we have enjoyed the camaraderie of some great sim pilots...some will remember AKNimitz, AKDogg, AKKaz, and AKHoopy.  Some of you have also met our legacy pilot, AKRaven, who calls Nimitz - 'Dad'.

That's our story as best as we can reconstruct it.  We fly.  We don't document much. 

Sorry for the number of paragraphs, Zack.  :)

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 07:19:28 PM »
AKWxman, keeper of our vital statistics, offers the following with regard to legacy pilots:

I apologize to Raven for awarding him a 'new' father.  Note the correction.   :angel:

AKNimitz+ is the son of AKCurly+
AKRaven is the son of AKOwl+
AKJrDogg is the son of AKDogg+
AKWeavling is the son of AKWeave
AKMoptop is the son of AKRaider
AKBacon is the son of AKKilz
AKShrddr and AKTsgt are the sons of AKBmzawy
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 11:10:39 AM »
Ratsy/AKRaider, thanks very much for the history lesson.  :salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
Thanks JG11!!  I think we battled each other in Frame #1 :)

The October FSO, "Back to the Sea: Java 1942" starts Oct 9th.

If your small squad is interested in flying with us during the October FSO shoot me a PM.  If your not in a squad and want to participate in FSO send me a PM.
USA!!!
USAF 85-95

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »
Yeah...I remember all those names from way back before the earth had fully cooled.  The Warbirds team broke up into WWII Online and HTC, if I recall correctly, and there was a mandatory hiatus while we waited for new products to make it into the pipe.  Lost track of a few of the old Warbirds crew (still have the Warbirds  training books autographed by Doc Doom, and my antique copy of Fighter Combat signed by Mouse at the 2002 AH convention).

AKs have been around forever.  Always a class act and great people to fly with and against. 
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »
Yeah...I remember all those names from way back before the earth had fully cooled.  The Warbirds team broke up into WWII Online and HTC, if I recall correctly, and there was a mandatory hiatus while we waited for new products to make it into the pipe.  Lost track of a few of the old Warbirds crew (still have the Warbirds  training books autographed by Doc Doom, and my antique copy of Fighter Combat signed by Mouse at the 2002 AH convention).

AKs have been around forever.  Always a class act and great people to fly with and against.

Thanks Puck.  I was also at the 2002 AH convention.  AKCurly and AKNimitz were there too.  That was a good time.  Blesk arranged for me, CAPN, and another AH pilot to dogfight in T-34's out of Love Field in Dallas, Tx.  The pilot in my T-34 was a female AF reserve or guard F-16 pilot.  I think I pissed her off when I stalled the plane and filled the windscreen with earth.  She punched of a g-limiter to pull us out and I took a short nap  :lol.  What a rush!!!
USA!!!
USAF 85-95

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 12:49:03 PM »
Small World, Shrike!

I went to the first two Cons, along with JimBear_DD (who eventually became AKCasca).  At the first Con, Mouse rode with us to the awards dinner and sat with us that night.  I missed meeting any of the AK's.  I was so new to the sim I didn't have much of a frame of reference.  I did get to watch some great flying during the tournaments and of course, the Dirty Con Trick was awesome.

After all these years, there might be a chance that we saw each other at the 2002 Con.  Crazy.

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »
Small World, Shrike!

I went to the first two Cons, along with JimBear_DD (who eventually became AKCasca).  At the first Con, Mouse rode with us to the awards dinner and sat with us that night.  I missed meeting any of the AK's.  I was so new to the sim I didn't have much of a frame of reference.  I did get to watch some great flying during the tournaments and of course, the Dirty Con Trick was awesome.

After all these years, there might be a chance that we saw each other at the 2002 Con.  Crazy.

Watching Drex kill everyone in an aircraft he had never flown (he was setting up views on the way to the merge) with bare feet on race - as opposed to rudder - pedals...
Seeing the billowing clouds of smoke pour out of various people's rooms...must have been autumn with all those burning leaves...
Going to the range at Bass with Swoop.  Shoots pretty good for a Brit...
Getting to meet Nimitz, who was a really nice guy for having shot me down about a thousand times.  Not that it is all that much of an accomplishment...maybe 10 points...
Flying Me163s with pretty much unlimited gas...

Ah, the good old days when AH was serious business.  Now I just play to decompress for a few minutes in the evening and don't pay too much attention to all the drama.  Oddly enough, the people <complaining> are still <complaining> about the things being <complained> about ten or fifteen years ago.  Nothing has changed but some of the names.

<edit>
And here I nearly forgot one of the highlights...finally getting to meet Yankee...the dulcet tones behind "Base under attack", but only after she was conned into doing it...
</edit>
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:20:10 PM by Puck »

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 11:55:55 AM »
Nice post, Puck.

When I was shopping for a cockpit, I ran into this video.  I'm pretty sure that's Drex.  What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRuRKn4kx0

Shrike.  Sorry for the hi-jack.  No really.  I'm really sorry.

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 04:01:43 PM »
Nice post, Puck.

When I was shopping for a cockpit, I ran into this video.  I'm pretty sure that's Drex.  What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRuRKn4kx0

Shrike.  Sorry for the hi-jack.  No really.  I'm really sorry.

YouTube apologized for the video's lack of existence. 

I believe we were discussing the merits of flying with the AK's, of which there are nearly endless amounts.  I would highly recommend them to anyone.  Unless, of course, the person requesting the recommendation was not someone I would want to fly with, then I would suggest they fly for one of the Red countries.

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 07:42:06 PM »
The mid frame for Case Blue 1942 is this Friday night at 10pm CST.  If your interested in flying with the AK's during this frame shoot me a PM or respond in this thread.
USA!!!
USAF 85-95