Author Topic: X55 Programming  (Read 1971 times)

Offline xTITANx

• Zinc Member
X55 Programming
« on: September 12, 2015, 10:32:31 PM »
Just bought my new X55 Rhino and Saitek pedals :rock.   I'm starting to think about programming and want to know if I should use the SST or use the in-game programming; or is that even available?
I'm not looking forward to breaking the muscle memory of 10+ years (I think) with my X45, I know it will be a process.  Hate to say goodbye but it is spiking horribly. 
I'll probably have more questions for pedals but right now I'm working on mapping out my Joystick and throttle.

And if you have a profile you can share on how you've programmed your X55 I'd be interested in seeing it.  It has a ton of options and I'd like to maximize using the stick vs the keyboard.

Appreciate any help!

>S<
TITAN
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:46:33 PM by xTITANx »
xTITANx A.K.A.  DFATITAN
Death From Above (DFA)
"My relationship with AH has lasted longer than my last two wives".  On again, off again, but still here.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: X55 Programming
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »
I don't know what Saitek offers for programmability so I'll just suggest you program in AH as close as you can to what you're used to with the X45.

Open the controller page, think about what you want to do and press whatever button you think should do it. That will open a window where you can assign that button to the action you had in mind.

If you want to assign different commands to the same button you can use modes.  In the AH controller setup, select mode 3 then copy mode 1 to mode 3. Select an unused button or free one up. Map the button to "select mode 1". Select mode 1 in setup and map the same button to "select mode 3". Now you can push a button to change modes. Change any assignments in mode 3 that you want to be different from mode 1. For example if you have a 2 stage trigger you could switch stage one from "primary fire" to "fire all guns" in flight just by switching modes.

Offline 1Canukk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »
I have the Saitek and found it easier to use the in Game mapping , any Q send me a PM....I thing is that I found it is best to have a powered USB for you to plug in your saitek...enjoy had mine for 6 months great stick, endless options.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:11:45 AM by 1Canukk »

JG11  Sonderstaffel , Geschwader Kommodore

The P51 D was made by the Gods for men to fly. 
 The FW190 D  was made by men, for Gods to fly .

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »
Good point about the powered USB hub.  It's a worthwhile 'preventative' and highly recommended here.

I am using the Saitek programming.  It is more difficult but you can get more out of the stick and throttle by using the SST program.  Of course, that is my opinion.

Very helpful to me was a video by FroogleSim on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr9Oi1jc4wg

I also advocate and follow FroogleSim's YouTube site.

On the video he addresses some 'edge cases' of programming which show you just how versatile the sticks can be and gives you a clue about how to best apply the software in other games.  I think he is demonstrating on DCS in the video.

So I have an SST program for Aces High, and others for Rise of Flight, IL2, etc.

I use the digital proportional curves provided by HiTech in Aces High and keep the Saitek versions of those at defaults.  While Saitek's program is 'cooler-looking', HiTech's approach makes setting dead bands and control surface curves much easier and is more intuitive for me.  It's also easier to jump in and out of the set-up while you are flying in Aces High (fine tweaks).

There is a list of commands available someplace on the HTC website, I just can't remember where it is.

I entered the commands into SST - assigning buttons, etc - and used FroogleSim's advice to get better use out of the thumb rotaries on the X55 throttle.  I tweaked it for a week and haven't touched it since.

I will say this is the first time I've used a HOTAS manufacturer's programming software and I've had a good experience and very little of the 'unexpected outcomes' of some previous versions of these.

It's added effort, but I think it's worth it.  My throttle and stick generally work in the same way in each sim I fly.

Again, all my opinion.

:salute 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:29:18 AM by Ratsy »
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 01:16:27 PM »
If you're simply assigning key presses to buttons it's faster to use the AH controller setup. When you press the button you want to program you get a menu popup to select the function you want.

I have my driver and game settings for deadband at 0. When I want to keep autopilot on( my stick moves very easily) I turn off the stick axis using modes.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
FLS:  I understand.  HiTech's method is easy especially for simple key presses. 

But when you need to program different button functions to several different positions on a single rotary or 'run' a key press for a specific number of seconds or set up a 'fakey' dual trigger for the X55, then it all kind of falls apart.  It's certainly not easy, but it is within the capabilities of the SST programming software.

It's not for everybody, that's for certain.  I ran my CH gear in the Aces High mode (always remember to save a copy of your stick settings files someplace safe).  When I got the X55 I thought it was time to at least try the programming software.  FroogleSim helped me do that.

I can't imagine trying to fly anything without at least a little dead band.  I'm pretty ham-fisted and I'm jealous that you can do it!

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 03:10:13 PM »
You can assign 3 key presses to an analog rotary in Aces High. With 4 modes that's 12 possibilities. I'm not saying don't use the stick programming, just that AH allows more complexity than most people need.

I don't know that I fly any better without stick deadband. I just don't like the little step it puts in the JS analyzer when I cross an axis centerline.

I do think it's a good idea to only have deadband from one source or at least consider that it may be set in 2 places.

Deadband might increase hamfistedness because the response delay while the stick is moving could promote overcompensation. I would set JS deadband to the minimum that allows the auto pilot to stay on. I don't see any other benefit to it.

Damping can help hamfisted flying but it makes the controls more mushy than precise. I would try a lighter grip on your stick as a solution and try for quick and precise instead of hard and fast. I know it's easy to get excited fighting and slam the stick but practice will help with new habits.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 08:40:26 PM »
Off Topic Alert.

It's a journey, I'm sure you'll agree.

No matter what Titan decides, we have given him some signposts from our experience.  A person who is not afraid to ask the question is one who is not afraid of the answers.  A seeker.

I am doing things in Aces High that I couldn't have even thought of 10 years ago and I'm excited to know I'm going to learn a lot in the next 10!  I'm a little slow, perhaps, but it's my soap and my banana...I'm happy.   :) 

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG

Offline xTITANx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 10:43:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  The dang thing has so many toggles and buttons, when I reach for the keyboard to do something I say "What am I thinking" LOL.

I used the AH process to initially program and get back up in the air.  I did get rudder pedals so that's taking some getting used to after using the Rocker on the throttle of the X45 for a lot of years.   Its like patting you head and rubbing your belly to start with but Im getting used it. 

I think it will be a process and figuring out how best to use the new setup.  Im interested in using the rotary knobs for manually trimming the plane. Something Ive always wanted to learn to do but the X45 wouldn't set up correctly (probably operator error).  Ill probably have some questions so thanks for the offer. 

CYA up there...
>S<
TITAN
xTITANx A.K.A.  DFATITAN
Death From Above (DFA)
"My relationship with AH has lasted longer than my last two wives".  On again, off again, but still here.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 09:43:28 AM »
Go gettem' Titan!

Question:  Did you disable the twisty rudder in the SST software?  You can turn it right off and Aces High will never see it.

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG

Offline xTITANx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 07:23:55 PM »
I did disable it, or rather never programmed it in the AH software.  Im using the pedals and trying to get used to using them.  its a little freaky but I think ill like it.
 :airplane:
xTITANx A.K.A.  DFATITAN
Death From Above (DFA)

Offline pops04

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »
Ratsy I have an X55 and been using it for about 6 months. First off you are probably going to have to reprogram your muscle memory. I used to use an 57 and finally upgraded to the 55 button layout is totally different but easier to use. Now you have the ability to switch views quicker with two different hat switches and various switches and toggles. The best thing is to use AH settings and try out different things then go with what you decide is best for you.