Author Topic: Track IR-5 Question  (Read 1280 times)

Offline pelota

• Zinc Member
Track IR-5 Question
« on: September 17, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
Greetings, folks:
  I have track IR-5 and it is working fine, save for, occasionally, my views get "stuck" if I move my head too fast (e.g., stuck in 6 o'clock view during a dogfight :bhead).  So, to rectify this matter, I would like to assign a button on my Thrustmaster Warthog joystick to the "re-center function" for track-IR.  I use the Aces High in-game Controls screen for joystick/throttle buttons assignments and do not use the Thrustmaster software (Target GUI).  If someone can direct me on how to do this, I would be greatly appreciative! :aok

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Re: Track IR-5 Question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 06:09:55 PM »
I've got the centering button on my throttle in a very handy place,, you set that in the track or settings not Ah
I hit it very often to help stay centered all the time, I also have an on/off toggle next to it so I can suspend it momentarily at any time,, like if I hop into a GV and don't want it to function!

Check the track or screen for it
Flying since tour 71.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 06:10:19 PM »
Use the TrackIR software. Load the program, on the tabs click profile. Select the profile you use. Just under the tabs is a drop down box, select "center". Hit the button on your stick/throttle that you want to use to re-center your view and save the profile.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 06:41:54 PM »
If you want to program in AH just go to the controllers menu on the clipboard,  push the button you want to use and select TrackIR center from the pop - up menu.

If you get "stuck" check that the camera can follow all your head movements using the TrackIR head display in the program.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:45:14 PM by FLS »

Offline pelota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »
Fugitive: thanks very much, that did the trick :aok

FLS: Here's how I get in the "stuck position": if I physically turn my head beyond, say, 40 degrees (raw or "true head angle") in the Yaw axis, the display shows that I exceed 180 degrees in the game. A little after the 40 degrees, if I keep rotating my head, the view "freezes" and camera stops tracking--in the game, that usually corresponds to the view getting stuck to my 6 o'clock view!  What I would like to "tell" the TIR5 program is this: don't give me beyond 180 degrees (don't freeze!) once my head has physically turned to 40 degrees.  In other words, I wanna set an in game limit to 180 degrees when my head is at 40 degrees or greater!  I do not know how clear I have made this...

p.s., I am betting that I would need to do something to the end of the Yaw axis?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »
It sounds like the camera is losing the reflectors or LEDs when you turn your head more than 40.

Which software version of TIR are you using and which model?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:02:57 PM »
Fugitive: thanks very much, that did the trick :aok

FLS: Here's how I get in the "stuck position": if I physically turn my head beyond, say, 40 degrees (raw or "true head angle") in the Yaw axis, the display shows that I exceed 180 degrees in the game. A little after the 40 degrees, if I keep rotating my head, the view "freezes" and camera stops tracking--in the game, that usually corresponds to the view getting stuck to my 6 o'clock view!  What I would like to "tell" the TIR5 program is this: don't give me beyond 180 degrees (don't freeze!) once my head has physically turned to 40 degrees.  In other words, I wanna set an in game limit to 180 degrees when my head is at 40 degrees or greater!  I do not know how clear I have made this...

p.s., I am betting that I would need to do something to the end of the Yaw axis?

Open TrackIR, select the profile you want to use. At the top of the lower panel use the drop down box to select the "YAW" axis. To the right of that drop down is a check box called "Limit". Check that box and save the profile. Now when you turn your head it will stop the view at 180 degrees no matter how far you turn your head.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 07:10:59 AM »
Those 3-D heads trackir has in their software are super for identifying trackir problems.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 07:27:15 AM »
And I found this video useful when I was figuring out how the thing worked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PPsUCNYTnc

- oldman

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 07:50:31 AM »
Also in the TIR software bring up "camera view". It's not necessary but putting that in full screen might help you see some problems. What you're looking for is that the camera is seeing the three dots either reflected off the ball cap clip or generated by the pro clip. Move your head around as you would. If any of the dots disappear, tracking will freeze. If that happens, try moving the camera a bit farther away if you can to give it a little more of a field of view. Should be about two feet, maybe a bit more. But not like across the room or anything.

Back to the dots. There should be three dots and only three dots showing at all times. Using the ball cap clip, I ran into a problem with mine doing odd stuff when I'd tilt my head in a certain direction. Turned out the problem was the IR light reflecting back at the camera from my glasses. I'd move a certain way and looking in camera view a fourth dot---that reflection from my glasses---would appear on the screen. The TIR would start to track that one and screw up my views. It would usually jerk an odd direction and freeze a sec before going back to the proper set of dots.

The solution is to buy a pro clip and start using that. I built my own active IR LED ball cap, but that project isn't for everybody.

Back to camera view. Make sure there isn't anything in the background that's shining ANY IR light back at the camera. Could be the sun coming in and hitting the wall behind you at certain times of the day. It'll mess with the tracking. Sometimes you can tune that out in the software. On the left side click the camera tab. There's a slider to adjust the sensitivity. If you see some odd shadow other than the three dots try moving it one way or the other until it goes away. Or go find the source and block it with something solid. A curtain usually won't get it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:53:38 AM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline pelota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »
Thanks for the reply, all.  I will try the suggestions and post my feedback.  Thanks again <>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
k

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »
The solution is to buy a pro clip and start using that

+1

I had the odd moment with the reflector-type clip where my TrackIR would either freeze or leave me staring straight up in the cockpit. No such problem with the LED-type clip, the ProClip.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »
+1

I had the odd moment with the reflector-type clip where my TrackIR would either freeze or leave me staring straight up in the cockpit. No such problem with the LED-type clip, the ProClip.
Yeah it's real twitchy if it gets ANY other even momentary random IR reflection other than the three dots it's looking for.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
Just discovered that the views getting stuck is related to the distance your camera is from your reflection surfaces. Moved the camera about 4 inches closer to my hat clip and that issue stopped. Not sure if you were also experiencing sometimes the camera didn't detect your reflectors on the first start.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline pelota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »
I do use the pro-clip also....  My distance from the camera has not changed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk