Author Topic: Help.  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Help.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 09:19:02 AM »
Hummmm... Mostly correct but with some caveats:

1) Although the PSU claims to give 480 watts, it's old and not performing as a new one any more. More important, it most likely doesn't support modern video card, i.e. it lacks the plugs needed. Y-cables might work but they also might drive the PSU past its limits.

2) The two slot requirement for a video card isn't the only problem. Many cards are so long that they don't fit in between the back plate and hdd cradle.

3) About Vista's capability to handle memory: It doesn't say 64 bit anywhere, so it's 32 bit. Any 32 bit operating system can only handle 4 GB at the maximum and even that isn't fully usable. The key word is bit depth and from there on it's purely mathematics.

4) Yes, GDDR5 is much faster than DDR3. It's designed for Graphics... The techies talk about buses, but for me a bus is a multi person car. My explanation for ordinary people is, that if the data were like water, a 3/4" hose will fill your bucket much faster than a 1/4" hose with the same pressure level.

@800nate800:  You're absolutely right. The only thing you might want to do just for fun, is to install a video card if you can get it for free. A card without extra power inputs would be the safest choice. But before starting to plan this route any further, check that there actually is a pci-e 16x slot on the motherboard! I've seen some e-Machines having just two rows of solder spots instead.

I based my suggestion from this information:

http://www.cputopia.com/emachine-480w-w-series-w3623.html

and

http://www.cnet.com/products/emachines-w3623-p4-641-3-2-ghz-512-mb-160-gb-lcd-17/specs/

This is a quote for brand new replacement of CPU, Fan, Motherboard, Case, PSU and RAM (although only 512 mb) for $176.  So his current system isn't worth much, but I could make it fly since I have the 64 bit OS, GPU and RAM (also all of the cables, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.) available to me.

For Nate, I see nothing wrong with the upgrading with these options:

Win 7 professional 64 bit $69 amazon
Corsair 8 gb memory      $50 amazon
GT730 DDR5 2GB *used $64 amazon  (* Not sure on the room, but looking into the w3609s case it has plenty)

Total                             $179 if the PSU replacement is needed, add $19.99 plus shipping/
                                            add $15 for a new GPU instead of used.
Please compare that with any new purchase prices and "bang for the buck".

Sometimes, bird in the hand, may get you through, until the next real bargain. Unless someone is selling a used custom build, I doubt if there are any purchases close to that price range that would run alpha as well.  Please don't buy a computer to run alpha if it is NOT in your budget.  The final version will have more specific recommendations and possibly even lower standards than we presently have.

Nate, RIGHT NOW, YOUR OUTDATED 32 BIT OS, AND LESS THAN 1 GB OF DEDICATED VIDEO RAM ARE YOUR FAILS.  CPU RAM MIGHT ALSO BENEFIT (CAN'T HURT) AFTER OS UPGRADE.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
Nice sources!  :aok

As for the PSU, it seems to lack video power outputs. So if you're going to replace it, get one with such.

Good thing is, the motherboard seems to have a pci-e 16x slot for a video card. Getting something there would improve both AH2 and the Alpha. But please, something higher than GT730!

Seriously, I wouldn't invest three digit sums into outdated hardware which can't be salvaged into a new build.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »
Bizman,

I agree with you, but mostly because I have so many of the components already.  I went with a custom build about 16 years ago.  It was top of the line for about 3 months, and was obsolete in 15 months  :headscratch:

Ever since then, I have been Frankenstein in the laboratory with whatever parts I can scrounge and catch at budget prices.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 12:34:35 PM »
Being kin to Dr. Frankenstein myself, I, too, have built several working pc's out of numerous abandoned ones. That pays, if you can do it yourself and get most of the parts for free. Even better if you can sell what you've built...

When I started my business I soon noticed that I'd need some components quite often. So I looked for bargains at several stockists plus asked for second hand ones from bigger shops than mine. Then, suddenly, I noticed there was no demand anymore for certain items. No wonder I had got them so cheaply! Do you need 128 Mb SDRAM sticks? I've got 9 them, unopened brand new. Plus two handfuls of second hand ones! Obsolete after the support for Win98 ended. Not so long ago I threw away a bunch of Athlon processors, single core T-breds and Bartons. The stuff I would almost have given my right arm at one time... Gone with XP. The value of my stock is about $1500, warming my shelves. Things I thought I could sell, bought five sold one... Lesson learned, now I only get one at a time and use the local shops for my buffer stock.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »
me thinks a hardware trade tab should be started.

hardware evolving so fast that new is really for enthusiasts. an old hardware trade/gift page could be beneficial to the financially challenged.

with the ah3 vramm demand, most will be getting card upgrades. many of the new cards require 550w power minimums with plugging requirements.

maybe an ah salvation army type approach amongst yourselves. same for software, many will go w8 and 10. give someone your w7 key if you no longer need....

just a thought :airplane:
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 05:29:28 AM »

hardware evolving so fast that new is really for enthusiasts. an old hardware trade/gift page could be beneficial to the financially challenged.

with the ah3 vramm demand, most will be getting card upgrades. many of the new cards require 550w power minimums with plugging requirements.

maybe an ah salvation army type approach amongst yourselves. same for software, many will go w8 and 10. give someone your w7 key if you no longer need....

Exactly!  With one thing in mind, we still don't have a finished product in AH3 alpha yet to determine what "all" should be the considerations for upgrading.  For those like 800nate, who is interested enough in trying to get alpha to run on his equipment, we may offer some pointers that are proficient without sending him back to the main arenas with the impression that he needs to make a large investment if he plans to join the next generation of Aces High when unveiled.

For some this may be the case, but in Nate's case, and I would guess to say the majority of players, will mostly just "want" to obtain a graphics card that will function well, or spend the equivalent of 6 months subscription for Aces High to support this graphics update.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »

Don't we already have it? It's called Aces High Classifieds and I've seen hardware change owners there even for the incredible price of free.

Kotisivuni

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Exactly!  With one thing in mind, we still don't have a finished product in AH3 alpha yet to determine what "all" should be the considerations for upgrading.  For those like 800nate, who is interested enough in trying to get alpha to run on his equipment, we may offer some pointers that are proficient without sending him back to the main arenas with the impression that he needs to make a large investment if he plans to join the next generation of Aces High when unveiled.

For some this may be the case, but in Nate's case, and I would guess to say the majority of players, will mostly just "want" to obtain a graphics card that will function well, or spend the equivalent of 6 months subscription for Aces High to support this graphics update.

prolly a newer vid card is what majority will need. been made clear that whats in alpha now will not be final but lets face it, new look gonna takes some hardware. only thing I would plan on now is a 2gb vram card minimum. I say this based on current usage now, alpha always reach's 1gb+ right now. AH did mention a possible 900GB minimum vram card already, I believe in a little overhead as well. pcie changes between 2 and 3 don't matter, so many pcie 2 boards will benefit from 3.0 cards.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 02:45:13 AM »
I just got around to downloading the Alpha and it doesnt load for me. just right when it opens it goes to a white screen and says ahalpha.exe has stopped.
:airplane: Nate, here is a brief story about the same problem I had....I to couldn't load the game and there were other functions which would work for me with this rig, so Skishill, whom you know, drove 825 miles one weekend and installed a new hard drive and a new graphics card, which I am told, is 4th from the top in quality of cards! It has been like night and day in the difference it has made for me. Now, the rig you have might not support the big card like I have, but it seems as though the power supply to run it is the key to making it work! Ski is always on VOX 171 with me when he is in the game, so call him up, I am sure he can give you some good advice.
BTW, the advice I pick up on in these forum boards is priceless to an old man who barely knows how to turn the PC on! LOL  :salute to all who have helped me, from Hi Tech, Skuzzy and guys in the game!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 08:11:47 PM »
Skishill  :salute sir for helping another AH flyer out. You sir an example for the rest of us to follow in helping each other out.

:rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 11:09:28 PM »
:airplane: Nate, here is a brief story about the same problem I had....I to couldn't load the game and there were other functions which would work for me with this rig, so Skishill, whom you know, drove 825 miles one weekend and installed a new hard drive and a new graphics card, which I am told, is 4th from the top in quality of cards! It has been like night and day in the difference it has made for me. Now, the rig you have might not support the big card like I have, but it seems as though the power supply to run it is the key to making it work! Ski is always on VOX 171 with me when he is in the game, so call him up, I am sure he can give you some good advice.
BTW, the advice I pick up on in these forum boards is priceless to an old man who barely knows how to turn the PC on! LOL  :salute to all who have helped me, from Hi Tech, Skuzzy and guys in the game!
Thank you Mr.Earl  :salute :salute
former squeaker, but you wont 1v1 about it
Most my friends are banned......
Kommando Nowotny