Author Topic: P-38 Compressibility  (Read 6539 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: P-38 Compressibility
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »
I doubt Bodie was referring to max level speeds and full power dives. Isn't there is a significant control response difference between Mach .65 and Mach .74? What were the unnamed reasons Bodie referred to? Could they have included 'power off' and 'mind your max speed' ? Are there combat reports that contradict Bodie?

Offline drgondog

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2015, 11:06:21 AM »
I doubt Bodie was referring to max level speeds and full power dives. Isn't there is a significant control response difference between Mach .65 and Mach .74? What were the unnamed reasons Bodie referred to? Could they have included 'power off' and 'mind your max speed' ? Are there combat reports that contradict Bodie?

Possibly - but a P-38 in full chase WEP in level attitude at 25k rolling to follow a 109 split essing is going to accelerate past .62 very rapidly if he does it 'clean'.. which is more reality, than quiet contemplation. So, the comment that it 'can't go into Compressibilty below 25K" just doesn't make much sense (to me)..

As to significant control response between .65 and .74 M? I dunno. I do know that the P-38 wing was in onset drag divergence at .62-.63M with a full blown shock wave developing shortly thereafter. The shock wave would form at about 25% chord and the nose tuck would begin shortly thereafter as the shock wave migrates toward trailing edge of the wing.
Nicholas Boileau "Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2015, 11:27:51 AM »
The dive acceleration is obvious enough that it's hard to believe Bodie was unaware of it. Unless it's an editing error it seems likely Bodie had a reason for the comment even if it's not obvious from the book.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 03:51:14 AM »
From the manual
:airplane: Hard to beat the old flight Manuel for accurate information! Do you reckon that anyone who flew these great birds, really knew any of this technical stuff these guys are throwing out? Never flew one of these Randy, in RL, but always wanted to, it had to be a blast! Did you ever read the "bail" out procedure for one these things?
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!