Author Topic: HT, a few requests  (Read 1954 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
HT, a few requests
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:57:08 PM »
Regarding terrains and settings, I have a few requests.  Just wanting some stuff back that we've always had that is missing from the new version, and is a step backwards imho.

1-Can we please have the ability to change the water color back?  It makes a big difference, especially in PTO terrains.  The single blue water color we have in the alpha won't work as a one size fits all if you want as much variety in the game as we want to give you.

2-Can we please have underwater textures back?  It made such a beautiful difference in terrains in AH2.  IL-2 has basically the same water, with waves on the shorelines & such, and you can change the water color and add underwater textures, so I know it's possible.  I just want to make the terrains as beautiful as possible to bring in new players and keep the "vets" happy.

3-Currently the "page" on the clipboard map under Arena Settings to change the colors of the sky, fog, etc. is totally blank.  Can we please have this ability back?  Having the same shy color in every terrain, every time ruins the "feel" of many terrains.  No variety=boring to players, especially when the game had these features before.  Losing all these things I've just mentioned is a huge step backwards imo. 

Nicer trees & building models is good for the game, but losing all the variety we were previously able to implement is going to make all the terrains look the same, just with the landmass in different spots.  Without the ability to use the variations we have always had until now, terrains are just going to become blah.  They will all look the same.  As I always have, I want to push the limits of the TE to make this game look as beautiful as possible.  Sadly, that's what attracts new players nowadays.  Without getting back these functions we always had before, I (we) can no longer deliver that to/for Aces High.  I want this for you so that the game lives on, but I(we) can't by taking away all the variety we had before. :pray

:salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: HT, a few requests
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:00:17 PM »
Example:

avaAtoll in AH2:

avaAtoll in AH3:

I could give pics of probably 30 more examples, but I think everyone can see what I'm talking about. :salute
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:32:41 PM »
I noticed the missing color settings...I figured it's early in the Alpha and these types of things will make it back eventually.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 12:11:32 AM »
I agree Dot. It's Alpha.

Hence I make do with water at zero because there's so much to do before it can be put back to higher elevations, if ever. Colors on the other hand, and textures, well that seems trivial by comparison, and I know they want it to look good.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 02:39:36 AM »
Or they haven't added more dept in water because it would allow you to see the submarines!

:bolt:

~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 04:25:34 AM »
I know it's the alpha, but the sooner I ask, the better. ;)
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »
I know it's the alpha, but the sooner I ask, the better. ;)
That's alright, I have a dry land project for you.  :bolt:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 06:41:44 AM »
Dang that's pretty! Doesn't look like anything I've seen ingame!

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 06:53:28 AM »
Dang that's pretty! Doesn't look like anything I've seen ingame!
You can create a custom arena and see it. The AvA has special terrains. Not all but most have the ava prefix.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 09:19:24 AM »
Regarding terrains and settings, I have a few requests.  Just wanting some stuff back that we've always had that is missing from the new version, and is a step backwards imho.

1-Can we please have the ability to change the water color back?  It makes a big difference, especially in PTO terrains.  The single blue water color we have in the alpha won't work as a one size fits all if you want as much variety in the game as we want to give you.
Very very doubtfull, the water doesn't really have a color associated with it.

2-Can we please have underwater textures back?  It made such a beautiful difference in terrains in AH2.  IL-2 has basically the same water, with waves on the shorelines & such, and you can change the water color and add underwater textures, so I know it's possible.  I just want to make the terrains as beautiful as possible to bring in new players and keep the "vets" happy.
Not sure, the system again just dosn't work like the old did. Since we now have real elevations, the blending and elevations would cause drivabilty issues.

3-Currently the "page" on the clipboard map under Arena Settings to change the colors of the sky, fog, etc. is totally blank.  Can we please have this ability back?  Having the same shy color in every terrain, every time ruins the "feel" of many terrains.  No variety=boring to players, especially when the game had these features before.  Losing all these things I've just mentioned is a huge step backwards imo. 
No. Again there is no concept of sky color. The system calculates air density /reflectivity excetera and ends up with a color based on where the sun is.

Nicer trees & building models is good for the game, but losing all the variety we were previously able to implement is going to make all the terrains look the same, just with the landmass in different spots.  Without the ability to use the variations we have always had until now, terrains are just going to become blah.  They will all look the same.  As I always have, I want to push the limits of the TE to make this game look as beautiful as possible.  Sadly, that's what attracts new players nowadays.  Without getting back these functions we always had before, I (we) can no longer deliver that to/for Aces High.  I want this for you so that the game lives on, but I(we) can't by taking away all the variety we had before. :pray

:salute

Actually for localization now, you can make anything you wish. The large 4x4 air base is a good example of what can be done with out the terrain system. You could if you wish make a perfect clifs of Dover as several 4x4 objects. You still can make all your own tiles.

HiTech

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 09:37:23 AM »
...the water doesn't really have a color associated with it.
Do think there could ever be some way to assign a water type, like "tropical" or "north sea" or "inland lake", etc.?

...no concept of sky color. The system calculates air density /reflectivity excetera and ends up with a color based on where the sun is.
Very cool. I was wondering how you got the dawn/dusk colors to work so nicely.

Do you think there might be a way to have a setting (lat/long, or some other way) to describe a geographic area so the sun's angle from the horizon will change based on simulated location on the Earth for the terrain? So for instance, an "equatorial" terrain would have the sun high overhead at noon but a "northern" terrain would see the noon sun lower in the sky?

My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 10:04:30 AM »
Do you think there might be a way to have a setting (lat/long, or some other way) to describe a geographic area so the sun's angle from the horizon will change based on simulated location on the Earth for the terrain? So for instance, an "equatorial" terrain would have the sun high overhead at noon but a "northern" terrain would see the noon sun lower in the sky?

That is doable. Something I always wished to do, along with night sky, just never have. It mostly just involves me doing the research for the calculations. The writing it self would go fairly quickly.

HiTech

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »
Again there is no concept of sky color. The system calculates air density /reflectivity excetera and ends up with a color based on where the sun is.

I have one last question along these lines.  Will we be able to dabble with the color / intensity of the sun, :cool: or the density / reflectivity of the air? :pray 

Okay I fibbed, second question; is there anyway to dabble with the reflectivity of objects (not vehicles) and assuming this can already be done for terrain tiles (via bmp layers).

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 11:07:57 AM »

I have one last question along these lines.  Will we be able to dabble with the color / intensity of the sun, :cool: or the density / reflectivity of the air? :pray
No
Okay I fibbed, second question; is there anyway to dabble with the reflectivity of objects (not vehicles) and assuming this can already be done for terrain tiles (via bmp layers).
With skins and such, yes.

HiTech

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 12:32:42 PM »
Ohhhh I want the Cliffs of Dover. Get on that Ranger :P
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas