Author Topic: A tactical quiz  (Read 1988 times)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Re: A tactical quiz
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 08:32:09 PM »
zoney hits it bang on the noggin I recon 
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 11:16:17 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

A darbar slowly moving from east to west, at a pace of approximately 6 minutes per sector towars the end (somewhat slower before that)
A25 alarm never gets triggered, no dot dar.
Refinery only starts to flash shortly after the darbar entered that sector.

What area would you take your Me 163 to in the sector south of 21 to look for... something?  :old:
:airplane: Snailman, You are priceless to this game! WTG <>S>........being the novice I am in a fighter, considering I don't have but one eye, of course that is all you need to aim with, I think I would have launched from the nearest base to our strat and climbed to altitude and waited on him....a lot of good answers though, it is interesting to see other players reacting to this kind of problem....if you have time, post some more, its good exercise for me and all the guys.
How about a hint on your deflection shots I see you taking and scoring kills with! Does your angle of bank and the con's angle of bank dictate how much to lead him? Does the speed that you are at when you fire at him change the amount of lead on the target?
BTW, the Rooks and myself appreciate you helping with our missions of late, it has certainly helped out many times, <S>
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »
As Snail has so often demonstrated, quite a bit of information can be gleaned from the dar-bar.  :aok

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »
Lol Snail.  Well done Sir. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 11:49:43 AM »
As Snail has so often demonstrated, quite a bit of information can be gleaned from the dar-bar.  :aok

Yup.  Playing this way kind of reminds me of that old Mastermind board game.  The bardar/bases flashing or not flashing gives you a lot of information about where they aren't, quite often leaving a very limited area in the sector where they could be.  Assuming you know which direction they're headed, you can wait for them where they're likely to come.

In the scenario for the OP, I'dve headed for the question mark.  Then I likely would've missed their dots, saw them move to the next sector, started to head that way, run out of gas, and gotten one half decent pass on the first set before having to deadstick home.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 02:30:41 AM »
Give me more I need more of these. :joystick:
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 05:11:33 AM »
Great post - yes plz keep them coming.   :salute
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:18:58 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 07:36:12 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

A darbar slowly moving from east to west, at a pace of approximately 6 minutes per sector towars the end (somewhat slower before that)
A25 alarm never gets triggered, no dot dar.
Refinery only starts to flash shortly after the darbar entered that sector.

What area would you take your Me 163 to in the sector south of 21 to look for... something?  :old:
Easy answer!
I'd take a mosquito VI and go look for a big red bar up north.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »
Snail finally shows us how he spies without a second account. I always wondered how he did it, the little cheater!   :devil :cheers:

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
I would orbit at 6000 and wait until their bored, fighter cover comes down and then kill them. 

They always come down.  hehe
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 07:49:57 PM »
I can fly a me163 10 sectors so I would just wait a few more seconds for a little more information to show up.

I find guys who left the map 10 sectors earlier........but my bullets do nothing out there.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 02:06:28 AM »
hows the car going snail?  does it pass lawful emissions tests??    :rofl
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2015, 02:34:45 AM »
Pretty much everything is very predictable in the game. "i havent seen that cv in a while, should be halfway to AXX by now" *Upping bombers and finds CV halfway to AXX...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline macdp51

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 08:56:11 AM »
The snail knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't!

By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is ( whichever is greater), it obtains a difference or deviation.

The guidance system uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the snail from a position where it wasn't to where it now is. Consequently, the position where it was is now the position where it isn't.

In the event that the position where it is now is not the position where it wasn't, the system has acquired a variation (variations are caused by external factors, and the discussions of these factors is not considered to be within the scope of this report). The variation being the difference between where the snail is and where the snail wasn't. If variations are considered to be a significant factor, it, too, may be corrected for by the use of another system. However, for this to take place, the snail must know where it was, also.

The "thought process" of the snail is as follows: because a variation has modified some of the information which the snail has obtained, it is not sure where it is. However, it is sure where it isn't! (within reason) and it knows damn sure where it was and also where it wasn't. It now subtracts where it should be from from where it wasn't (or vice versa) and by differentiating this with the algebraic difference between where it shouldn't be and where it was , it is able to obtain the difference between its deviastions and its variations, which is called the ERROR SIGNAL. Perfectly Clear how he does it ! 
:cheers:
 :salute
HP51

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2015, 12:48:20 PM »
The snail knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't!

By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is ( whichever is greater), it obtains a difference or deviation.

The guidance system uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the snail from a position where it wasn't to where it now is. Consequently, the position where it was is now the position where it isn't.

In the event that the position where it is now is not the position where it wasn't, the system has acquired a variation (variations are caused by external factors, and the discussions of these factors is not considered to be within the scope of this report). The variation being the difference between where the snail is and where the snail wasn't. If variations are considered to be a significant factor, it, too, may be corrected for by the use of another system. However, for this to take place, the snail must know where it was, also.

The "thought process" of the snail is as follows: because a variation has modified some of the information which the snail has obtained, it is not sure where it is. However, it is sure where it isn't! (within reason) and it knows damn sure where it was and also where it wasn't. It now subtracts where it should be from from where it wasn't (or vice versa) and by differentiating this with the algebraic difference between where it shouldn't be and where it was , it is able to obtain the difference between its deviastions and its variations, which is called the ERROR SIGNAL. Perfectly Clear how he does it ! 
:cheers:
 :salute
HP51
'

*head explodes

----

Nice thread Snailman! I would've climbed towards the ammo strat and hovered around 7/5/6 -8/5/4 waiting for the con to flash the ammo strat while looking for him. After he crossed into 7/5 I would've waited 30 seconds for him to start flashing the ammo or I would assume he's going 7/5/9 to the HQ. My thinking is that nobody hits the refinery, It doesn't do anything(worthwhile). Although I would've watched the refinary percent to see if it was being hit. Could be a jabo getting points/achievements. My answer really depends on when you upped. I assume you upped when the refinery was flashing?