Author Topic: Windows Updates  (Read 904 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Windows Updates
« on: October 06, 2015, 09:46:08 AM »
I have added to my "Hints and Tips" post, in the Support forum, information about some updates Microsoft has been installing which are only designed to send them information about your computer and how you are using it.

Hope it helps someone.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.msg4998528.html#msg4998528
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Windows Updates
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 10:03:15 AM »
Hope it helps someone.

Probably the whole planet.  :D
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:12:58 AM »
Added my comment about avoiding them. I had already been wondering why I don't get the Windows 10 ad, thought it was because my Win7 is an upgrade version. Now I noticed it being unchecked along three of the other updates mentioned in the "recommended" section.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »
bizman, why avoid the "reccomended" updates?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 01:24:11 PM »
There are a lot of "recommended" updates which are useless, depending on the software and hardware installed on the computer.  You should never install them without reading what they are for and then determine if it is right for your environment.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:53:48 PM »
bizman, why avoid the "reccomended" updates?

semp
Well... There's actually several reasons. The first is, they're not critical. They don't add safety or fix flaws. If you run Windows update manually, they're titled "Optional".

The second reason is drivers. You've been told never to let Windows install any drivers, haven't you? Driver "updates" belong to the recommended group.

The third reason is what Skuzzy just warned us about: Waste of resources for telling Microsoft what kind of a computer I have and how I'm using it. Besides it's easier to leave an update uninstalled than trying to figure out how to get rid of a bunch of new background processes. More information here: http://www.techworm.net/2015/08/new-windows-788-1-updates-spy-on-you-just-like-windows-10.html.

I find the phrase "Install this update to resolve issues in Windows" misleading: What kind of issues can be resolved by sending usage and hardware data to Microsoft? What kind of issues can be resolved by putting a nagging ad for Windows 10 in the Taskbar?

The fourth reason is that I'm lazy. Actually each and every update should be evaluated before installing, but there's a lot of effort involved. For those who'd like to try it there's advisors such as Susan Bradley in her Patch Watch column in the Windowssecrets.com newsletter, paid section. I've found it safe enough for my system to manually install all the critical updates a few weeks after Patch Tuesday to allow Microsoft fix the worst flaws. 

I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
Beware....I hid the windows 10 update reminder update and later on it re-appeared in the update list when I checked for updates. Sneaky buggars.
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Beware....I hid the windows 10 update reminder update and later on it re-appeared in the update list when I checked for updates. Sneaky buggars.

Microsoft seems desperate to get everyone to Windows 10.  After seeing the latest adoption numbers, I guess they are worried.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 05:11:52 PM »
thanks for your help guys.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »
Worried? Ha! After watching a youtuber's $400 racing wheel get fried by Lose10 they damn well better be worried that I wouldn't touch that garbage with a space elevator.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
There are a lot of "recommended" updates which are useless, depending on the software and hardware installed on the computer.  You should never install them without reading what they are for and then determine if it is right for your environment.

I think the bolded should have been said LOUDER!

I read/research every single update before I decide if I need it installed or not!

I totally am in agreement!

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 06:19:50 AM »
Worried? Ha! After watching a youtuber's $400 racing wheel get fried by Lose10 they damn well better be worried that I wouldn't touch that garbage with a space elevator.

I would like to see that!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 12:15:18 PM »
Well, I didn't exactly see it happen heheh, but he says what happened at the beginning of this video: http://youtu.be/-KCVg4LAESc
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »
Yet another note on the subject:

If you're doing a clean install, you'll be asked about updates quite early in the process. As I said, I prefer doing them manually, opting out the "recommended" updates. Automatic critical updates is what I choose for my customers for obvious reasons. So far, so good.

Now, using Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 as an example, the first batch of critical updates is something like 150 of them. Because letting Windows just do it in the background may take more time than you'd wish, you most likely will run Windows Update several times until all the desired patches have been installed. At least that's what I do. What I've noticed, after having installed the first batch, Windows Update will say the state of updates has never been checked and asks you to do it. So you, logically, click the "Check for available updates" button. Before installing anything, click the left pane "Change Settings" link and make sure the "Recommended" updates haven't automatically been selected again!

Checking the update settings every now and then is recommended. Sometimes Microsoft may force an ultra critical update even if you've chosen to manually install them. In that process they've known to reset the settings according to their preferences. So if you want to be in control, check the settings regularly.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »
Well, I didn't exactly see it happen heheh, but he says what happened at the beginning of this video: http://youtu.be/-KCVg4LAESc

I have not had any devices fried this way, and yes I own the steering wheel he was probably using. I have lost USB hubs. The fix is to reinstall the drivers for the generic hubs and anything else listed for USB controllers in device manager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xoQzirzUkE
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.