Author Topic: Top Late War Killers  (Read 3547 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Top Late War Killers
« on: October 10, 2015, 12:07:38 PM »
Stats compiled from the AH plane stats page:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/scores/planes.php 

Top fighter (most kills in) per Late War Tour ....

P-51D -  99 tours  - 33-35, 83-85, 89-95, 97, 102-116, 121-189

Spit IX - 34 tours - 1-7, 16, 21-28, 31-32, 36-51

La-7 - 24 tours - 52, 54-69, 73-74, 77-80, 96

Spit XVI - 13 tours - 70-72, 75-76, 98-101, 117-120

N1K2-J - 11 tours - 17-20, 29, 53, 81-82, 86-88

F4U-1C  -  8 tours -  8-15

- The C-hog was unperked at the time it was #1. 
- As for the Spit IX, the plane set was much smaller than today and perhaps the player mindset was more about TnB than BnZ.
- IIRC, there were some adjustments made to the La-7's flight model, which might explain it's deterioration in popularity.
- Player numbers have risen and fallen and the predominant trend in recent memory is the popularity of faster planes over the turners.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Top Late War Killers
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:18:06 PM »

- As for the Spit IX, the plane set was much smaller than today and perhaps the player mindset was more about TnB than BnZ.

The IX back then was more of a hybrid of todays IX and XVI and was among the best of the Spits.  It had the .50 cal gun package and IIRC ran one of the lower alt engines.  It and the V both got nerfed when the XVI came along.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 08:14:58 PM »
It's a lie, no P47M. :old:
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:42:57 PM »
The IX back then was more of a hybrid of todays IX and XVI and was among the best of the Spits.  It had the .50 cal gun package and IIRC ran one of the lower alt engines.  It and the V both got nerfed when the XVI came along.

Interesting info.  That explains a lot.    :cheers:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 11:18:06 PM »
This is false.

The Mk IX was always an F.Mk IX with the Merlin 61 engine.  Its speeds are unchanged from the day it was introduced.  The only changes that happened to it was the removal of the .50s, 250lb bombs and rockets as options.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 12:17:31 AM »
This is false.

The Mk IX was always an F.Mk IX with the Merlin 61 engine.  Its speeds are unchanged from the day it was introduced.  The only changes that happened to it was the removal of the .50s, 250lb bombs and rockets as options.

Back then the only plane I flew was the IX.  When the XVI came along I switched to get the .50 cal package back so naturally the IX then felt nerfed.  That's why I prefaced it with IIRC which evidently I didn't.

But thanks for trying to make me look more like a liar than a forgetful old man.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:19:13 AM by BaldEagl »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 02:54:47 AM »
Back then the only plane I flew was the IX.  When the XVI came along I switched to get the .50 cal package back so naturally the IX then felt nerfed.  That's why I prefaced it with IIRC which evidently I didn't.

But thanks for trying to make me look more like a liar than a forgetful old man.
Almost all of the Spitfire's punch comes from cannons.  The difference between two .50s and four .303s is minimal compared to the 20mm cannons.

The reason the Spitfire Mk IX felt nerfed is because the Spitfire Mk VIII and Mk XVI have so much more power at lower altitudes.

The Spitfire Mk V was nerfed so as to give AH a 1941 Spitfire Mk V.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 01:27:50 PM »
I feel most of this is popularity related, not necessarily as in what the dominant ride is.

Most of these planes have overlapping time frames for top killer, which tells me that they're all right up there, and it's just fluctuations in popularity that push one plane or the other up to the top.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 01:36:35 PM »
Almost all of the Spitfire's punch comes from cannons.  The difference between two .50s and four .303s is minimal compared to the 20mm cannons.

It's the ballistics match with the Hispanos that makes the .50's much more effective.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »
I always enjoyed the Spit 1.   303's go through wings like a buzzsaw.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 07:11:43 PM »
I feel most of this is popularity related, not necessarily as in what the dominant ride is.

Most of these planes have overlapping time frames for top killer, which tells me that they're all right up there, and it's just fluctuations in popularity that push one plane or the other up to the top.

The same few planes have played musical chairs near the top for many years.  That said, the P-51D usually had a large lead and has been right near the top on most occasions where it wasn't at the top.  It's use has somewhat tapered off lately but not long ago, its kill count was greater than the #2 and #3 planes combined.

Check out Lusche's chart in this thread:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,375286.msg4999587.html#msg4999587

It is a popular plane because it is a dominant plane. 

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »

- Player numbers have risen and fallen and the predominant trend in recent memory is the popularity of faster planes over the turners.

I choose a fast plane because with low players numbers, faster planes are required to force people to fight. Otherwise everyone runs from your Zero and there is no croud to force them in to action.  :salute

I probably get 60% of my kills agains planes I had to chase down because they were running away, and those are mostly P-51s, Fw-190D9s, Corsairs, and Jugs.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »
I did this yesterday. I may or may not have a life outside of AH.

I died a bit more toward the end as my hands were shaky and my vision was going cross eyed but damn it was fun.

I think the P51 is one of the most deadly planes in the game. Most people who fly it timidly have no idea how to really fly the P51 and don't get aggressive enough.

KIlls, Shot down, Killed By, Times shot down.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:27:57 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »
Stats compiled from the AH plane stats page:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/scores/planes.php 

Top fighter (most kills in) per Late War Tour ....

P-51D -  99 tours  - 33-35, 83-85, 89-95, 97, 102-116, 121-189

La-7 - 24 tours - 52, 54-69, 73-74, 77-80, 96

Spit XVI - 13 tours - 70-72, 75-76, 98-101, 117-120

N1K2-J - 11 tours - 17-20, 29, 53, 81-82, 86-88

F4U-1C  -  8 tours -  8-15

- The C-hog was unperked at the time it was #1. 
- IIRC, there were some adjustments made to the La-7's flight model, which might explain it's deterioration in popularity.
:airplane:  I very seldom fly fighters because of my eye situation, but recently I had the F4-C hog picked to fly a bomber hunt sortie! First thing I noticed was the lack of any climb performance and I had only a 150 galleon tank as extra load on the beast! Next thing I noticed was the amount of time it took to go from 150MPH IAS in climb, to 275 cruise speed when I leveled off. Even as I dove into the bomber formation, couldn't help but noticed the slow acceleration on the dive!
What is going on?? Have AH "neutered" the "C" hog? It didn't seemed to be that way last year when I flew it a couple of times.
And yes, I raised the flaps after takeoff as I should have!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 10:43:35 AM »
What is going on?? Have AH "neutered" the "C" hog? It didn't seemed to be that way last year when I flew it a couple of times.

Nothing had been changed with the C-hog or any other model.
Any change to any flight modeling would also require a major game update, which we also did not have for a long time...  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman