Author Topic: Top Late War Killers  (Read 3545 times)

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
Re: Top Late War Killers
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2015, 07:34:08 AM »
so do you think 21 20 mm hispano hits to kill a Yak3 is BS, or what is ?
respectfully

save

Yak-3 fun bird to fly, tough bird, hardly think a oneoff instance is a good measurement in its resistance to fire, do a live fire test 5 - 10 times, show us the results.

Placed a bunch of Yak 3 in the drone circle. Shot at them with many different fighters.

1. - The small size requires precise aiming.
2. - Dead 6 shooting eventually gains fuel leaks and maybe a radiator hit and possibly a wing or tail surface. Or just pour it on for a kill.
3. - Deflection shooting is either a one shot kill of the pilot or, pour it on watching parts fall off until it goes down.
4. - Snap shooting 90 off is very hit or miss. The tiny profile requires perfect timing to achieve an oil hit or killing of the pilot.
5. - The MK108 is hard to be precise with and there were a few moments I couldn't believe nothing happened when I hit the Yak 3. A second hit usually finished the job. The 262's 4 MK108  never had problems when I could hit the Yak 3.

Knowing all of the above now, and online with connection inconsistencies and other conditions in play. The Yak 3 is just very hard to hit online.

The Ki-43 and I16 being about the same size are much easier to destroy under all of those conditions and online. So can we get them upgraded to be like the Yak 3....... :O 

I think a better comparision would be an Yak-7 or a LA-7 similar in size design and shape, KI43 wingspan is 5' longer, profile view is taller,  wing area is 230ft^2 in the Ki43 and 157ft^2 in the Yak. big difference there, I16 no one hardly flys it did not bother to look up its specs.
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2015, 01:20:05 PM »
Yak-3 fun bird to fly, tough bird, hardly think a oneoff instance is a good measurement in its resistance to fire, do a live fire test 5 - 10 times, show us the results.
There are many instances including many on ahf films.

I think a better comparision would be an Yak-7 or a LA-7 similar in size design and shape, KI43 wingspan is 5' longer, profile view is taller,  wing area is 230ft^2 in the Ki43 and 157ft^2 in the Yak.
Wing area of 157 sq. feet is just 2 sq. feet more than ONE wing of the F6F...
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2015, 01:33:02 PM »
Bozon,

He don't fly the Ki43 or I16 much do he......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2015, 03:21:18 PM »
all this talk of Pony superiority or lack thereof. Doesn't this just mean that the pony is the most flown plane? This wasn't kills per sortie or K/D was it? Just said the most kills.

And why do you think it is the most flown plane, tour after tour, year after year?  Because it is a challenge

To suggest that it isn't one of the easiest planes to succeed in is flat out wrong. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2015, 04:16:50 AM »
To suggest that it isn't one of the easiest planes to succeed in is flat out wrong.

Well its certainly not one of the harder ones to succeed in.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2015, 05:23:09 AM »
And why do you think it is the most flown plane, tour after tour, year after year?  Because it is a challenge

Any plane is easy to succeed in depending ..personally I think my K/D would be higher in a tour flying a Brewster then a P51D....
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2015, 07:23:44 AM »
..personally I think my K/D would be higher in a tour flying a Brewster then a P51D....

Only way for this to happen is when you don't really fly the 51D to it's strengths.
The Pony is way more survivable in the MA environment than the Brewster.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2015, 07:31:50 AM »
Any plane is easy to succeed in depending ..personally I think my K/D would be higher in a tour flying a Brewster then a P51D....

They are talking about the average player here too. Picture a guy who can't keep  a +1 k\d. Which plane is he going to do better with? Certainly not the Brewster

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2015, 07:59:04 AM »
I know when I switch from the P-38 to planes like La7 or the Ki kills come very easy.  In short amount of time though I find myself leaning hard on the planes performance.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
Only way for this to happen is when you don't really fly the 51D to it's strengths.
The Pony is way more survivable in the MA environment than the Brewster.
I should have said overall fighter score...I believe my kills to time/accuracy would go up and my k/d won't change the much.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"