Author Topic: Are modern gaming consoles really this bad?  (Read 839 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Are modern gaming consoles really this bad?
« on: October 15, 2015, 04:30:27 AM »
Will Xbox One make you rage vomit? Or is this fellow exaggerating?

http://adequateman.deadspin.com/the-xbox-one-is-garbage-and-the-future-is-roadkill-1736054579
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Are modern gaming consoles really this bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 08:44:53 AM »
My understanding is that the PS4 is much superior to the XBONE.  The reason to get an XBONE is for the exclusives, if you prefer them to those on the PS4.

How accurate this is I cannot say as I've never owned a console of any kind, only full computers.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:11:37 AM »
I have both, the only reason I bought the XB1 was for the Halo game coming out, and the collection series of that franchise, and only because the nephews and nieces like playing it.  Everything about the PS4 is better except for the odd exclusive title that comes out on the Microsoft platform.

PC gaming, the whole "PC masterace" thing, is still light years beyond either console, and I don't see that changing at any point in the near future.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
IMHO
PC>PS4>Xbox 1>wiiii

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:28:36 AM »
tl;dr

The hardware in the "next gen" consoles is not as good as they make it out to be. They use an 8 core AMD based processor clocked at 2GHz (can't remember the exact processor used) and their graphics is the equivalent of a GTX670 or something citation needed. The problem is that the games coming out for them aren't able to use all 8 processing cores and they usually lean very heavily on the graphics.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 09:31:02 AM »
tl;dr

The hardware in the "next gen" consoles is not as good as they make it out to be. They use an 8 core AMD based processor clocked at 2GHz (can't remember the exact processor used) and their graphics is the equivalent of a GTX670 or something citation needed. The problem is that the games coming out for them aren't able to use all 8 processing cores and they usually lean very heavily on the graphics.

Probably why they cap a lot of games at 30FPS.  Just can't keep up.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »
From what I gather from that article xbox one isn't so much a game console but a pc in a vcr case with a lot of obnoxious pc like programing that needs to update and install and update and install.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »
From what I gather from that article xbox one isn't so much a game console but a pc in a vcr case with a lot of obnoxious pc like programing that needs to update and install and update and install.

Well it was created and owned by Microsoft... 

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 03:08:35 PM »
These consoles would be better off with an equal-priced i3 running at a higher clockspeed and with a much higher IPC per core than the p.o.s. AMD chip they use.  Whoever made that decision screwed up, because this has been the case for at least five years, plenty of time to get the design right.

Based on the ability to do x264 encoding, something that does take advantage of all the cores, an "octo"-core AMD running at 2.0GHz is still quite slow.  For gaming its even worse.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
IMHO
Zack>PC>PS4>Xbox 1>wiiii

Coogan

Fixed
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 04:48:53 PM »
I have both and for gaming, the PS4 is far superior to the XB1.  The XB1 is more of a multimedia device that happens to be able to play games.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 06:11:02 PM »
Anywho.. I found dude's rant entertaining.

No. Enough. Dumping more time and money on this piece of trash will not redeem it. I hate it more than I hate anything I can think of. The very thought of the blinking white connection light on an Xbox One controller fills me with disgust. The other day, I got excited by a Kotaku post about the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront and decided to take another crack at getting my Xbox One to be an actual video-game console in advance of that game; five minutes and 10 controller re-connections later, I had called that malfunctioning hunk of robot toejam a motherdiddlyer in front of my children.

My Xbox One is a DVD player that can also stream Netflix. It is the size of two regular DVD players stacked on top of each other, when it is on it uses as much power as my refrigerator, and it cost as much as a weekend beach vacation, which would have been much nicer. My gift to my poor wife and children is my acceptance of this, when the more natural impulse is to go full Jack Torrance. I figured out how to program my universal remote to control the Xbox One—no wireless modem conflict there, despite it being manufactured by a whole different company—and I use it to play Pixar DVDs and a SpongeBob SquarePants Blu-Ray for my sons.

Of course, in order for it to play movies, I had to download and install the Microsoft Blu-Ray player app, which took...

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »
Reminds me of this.

Warning! not safe for work.

https://youtu.be/OMnLhlT_364