Author Topic: Hey! What languages do you speak.  (Read 7242 times)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Hey! What languages do you speak.
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »
There's no 'to have' in Russian, and the thing that you possess is the subject of the sentence while you are the object
(theres some kind of joke about communism in there, or some kind of praise about the character of Russians, or both)
To be isn't really used either unless it has to be used in infinitive form
(у меня книга ~ u menya kniga ~ by me {is} {a} book ~ i have a book)
The other east slavic languages are the same i dont know about west and south slavic
I took a few years of German in high school and two years of Russian in college
I didnt learn much Russian but i did learn that it's very hard

Motherland,
I am not a student of lanquages but I can read a little of
the ancient middle egyptian hieroglphs.
The ancient Eyptians didn't include what we would call vowels in their writings
although they most assuredly pronounced them
This is one reason why it took so long to translate the Rossetta stone
As a matter of fact, I misspelled my forum ID before I discovered that the "mes"
in Ramesis should actually be "ms" since the glyph of 3 tied fox tails shouldactually
be transliterated as "ms" and the "e" of "mes" was included by Eygptologists
to make the the name easily translated.
Ramsis
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
A lot of Canadians speak the nasally sounding French (even us Western English speakers, my parents were sadists and put me in a French immersion school until the 8th grade).  What impresses me is the European countries, particularly Switzerland, the Northern countries, and so on, that all speak "their" language, but typically also 3 or 4 others, and very fluently as well.  German/French/English in Switzerland were all very common when I was there, Norway, everyone spoke English, Norwegian, and usually one or two others.  Languages are so much easier to pick up when taught from a young age, children speaking 4 languages is no big deal in Europe, parts of it anyway, but in N.A. if you speak 4 languages in high school they rave like it's some "gift" that's been imparted.

Regarding English - I think it is time the world recognized that English in the UK is so far different from English in the majority of the rest of the English speaking world (North America, most of it at least, aircraft communications many places, etc) that it should be given a different name.  "The Queenss English, Britlish, Ukish,", while the rest of us can just stand pat with "normal" English.  We can even drop the cap letter, and have it just be "english".  Yay!  Insert old man icon a la Zack.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2016, 06:33:42 PM »
Or we could have English, and Colonial?  :P
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2016, 12:28:58 AM »
Regarding English - I think it is time the world recognized that English in the UK is so far different from English in the majority of the rest of the English speaking world (North America, most of it at least, aircraft communications many places, etc) that it should be given a different name.  "The Queenss English, Britlish, Ukish,", while the rest of us can just stand pat with "normal" English.  We can even drop the cap letter, and have it just be "english".  Yay!  Insert old man icon a la Zack.

As an Englishman speaking English living in England, I reject the idea that colonials get the word English.  :old: :old:
 It's not our fault you're dyslexics. :old:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:30:43 AM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

HOST: HiTech Shot Down Skyyr Kill#1

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2016, 09:57:53 AM »
English. And then there is Newfineze - that's Irish infused with beer, rum, and a good dose of humour.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2016, 11:13:25 AM »
I speak Ebonics.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2016, 11:01:06 PM »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2016, 11:30:33 PM »
English. I'm currently working on Spanish with German being a very distant goal. I'm using Rosetta Stone - I like it for the most part. I went to a public school system here in southern Arkansas where language classes were seen as an elective. I took Spanish I and II in high school, but its hard for anything to stick when you're in a class full of yahoos who neither appreciate nor want to be there. Examples include turning off the lights in a windowless classroom to chunk books around and scream, as well as yelling F-bombs and other obscenities because the Panamanian teacher doesn't fully understand them. She was a little old mousy woman who the kids ran over; she would call the office for help at least once per period for help - administration just ignored her. College was better - basically a rehash of Spanish I and II within a far better learning  environment.

"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Online Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2016, 02:33:34 AM »
I want to learn Zackanese.  Or is it Zackish?  Zackalog?  Zackian?  Help me out here.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2016, 12:26:22 PM »
I want to learn Zackanese.  Or is it Zackish?  Zackalog?  Zackian?  Help me out here.
Just Zack  :banana:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

HOST: HiTech Shot Down Skyyr Kill#1

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »
Zack rules. :old:
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2016, 06:41:29 PM »
Hey Floob, what about you?
I speak God's language, english motherdiddlyer!

Also esperanto and some other toejam.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck