Author Topic: Steam  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
Steam
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:06:38 AM »
I use it every once and awhile and found a game that i did not know existed any more which is Warbirds
and it seems they are getting desperate but besides that. I am wondering if it would be logistical to do such a thing as AH III rolls around though I am not sure it would work.  I was not sure where to put this thread and just wanted a topic to discuss
 :salute
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Steam
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 12:09:30 PM »
TracerFi,

As an add-on maybe there could be some sort of H2H / AI mission custom arena, to give steam customers a taste, but I think that should be a wait and see on numbers for AH3.

After AH3 roll out, there will be initial influx of curious 2 weekers and re investment from former players, and hopefully a very good response to the new look and feel.  Once the dust settles then, if possible, it may be an opportunity to grab the attention of untapped customer base that steam may represent.

I haven't a clue of how well if at all steam will play with AH2 coad.  I am almost certain that any such venture would need to concern itself with speedy uploads and lag issues, something that I am not sure the "brand" can afford to leave in the hands of another company.  But then again, the promotion of the latest version, something much better and more stable through HTC, steam might do well to serve as a gateway.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Aces High on Steam
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 01:09:01 PM »
This would be the correct area Tracer. :)

If I recall correctly, one reason mentioned was the cut to HTC's subscription fee (Valve's Cut) would be a bit much, either forcing HTC to take the hit or to up the sub fee to compensate.  Neither are appealing.  I believe it was Ack Ack that pointed this out, plus a few other things that would not make this a solid idea to go with. :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 01:33:04 PM »
Volron,

As an add-on and source to run previous version only, HTC would have more to gain and less to lose (that is if it were to work as I described before).  It would almost be like the demo versions that you run across.

Once AH3 is unveiled, I assume that AH2 would go the way of AH1, able to play only offline and if you still had the game files on your computer.

Opening up previous version (our current version) to steam customers, may tap into the "App / tech" tablet game market.  Yes, we know that AH3 will have a niche market of players, but sometimes they crossover.... as noted by the number of Steam posts that I have read in recent years.

In this way, subscribers for AH3 will be traditional, and those that are nostalgic or happen to discover it from the Steam Store would possibly supplement HTC income from the remainder of whatever Valve's  *%#&^ cut is, that was referred to.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 05:08:33 AM »
AH is the only reason I still keep a Windows PC in the house.

Everything else I can do on a LINUX OS using Open Source (free).  I know I could fudge AH to run in a LINUX VM or Wine but the performance hit would be pretty bad. 

I also have a PS4 and I game on that a bit.  I tried WarBlunder but that flight model is messed up.  Too arcad-ish.  AH is best of class WWII air combat sim.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 05:16:47 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 08:49:40 AM »
Would be nice if the rest of the Warbirds folks would just come over.  I flew with them for a few years.  We're a small enough community already. Hopefully some will check out AH3 and stay.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 09:25:22 AM »
Before you open this up to steam take a look at the Fallout 4 forum over there right now. If you put Aces High on steam, yah we might get an influx of new targets. But the IQ level would drop down tremendously, I'm talking all the way down to 49er levels.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 04:45:20 PM »
Before you open this up to steam take a look at the Fallout 4 forum over there right now. If you put Aces High on steam, yah we might get an influx of new targets. But the IQ level would drop down tremendously, I'm talking all the way down to 49er levels.
You glass house dwelling person. Have you looked at the AHBB lately?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 07:31:32 PM »
No Estes, you have got it wrong.... 10thmd's view was glass half empty.....  :cheers:

I am a glass half full guy  :cheers: I could use a few more targets..........   :eek:

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 12:35:44 AM »
Volron,

As an add-on and source to run previous version only, HTC would have more to gain and less to lose (that is if it were to work as I described before).  It would almost be like the demo versions that you run across.

Once AH3 is unveiled, I assume that AH2 would go the way of AH1, able to play only offline and if you still had the game files on your computer.

Opening up previous version (our current version) to steam customers, may tap into the "App / tech" tablet game market.  Yes, we know that AH3 will have a niche market of players, but sometimes they crossover.... as noted by the number of Steam posts that I have read in recent years.

In this way, subscribers for AH3 will be traditional, and those that are nostalgic or happen to discover it from the Steam Store would possibly supplement HTC income from the remainder of whatever Valve's  *%#&^ cut is, that was referred to.
I sure am glad im not in charge of marketing AH3.... hope HTC pulls a rabit out of its hat and finds away to get the numbers this game deserves in todays gaming world (300 at all times up to 1500 peak hours)

Ya I know im dreaming....
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 12:46:45 AM »
Wizz, it wasn't all that long ago when we had 2 arenas for the MA because of high player numbers, and only Titanic Tuesday where everyone could fly MA in one large arena - many many nights that was close to full 600+, and IIRC I had to wait to get in once when it was right full at 650, again murky on the max number, but I think I'm close.

Those days can be here again, IMO it'll take not only the new version, but also a change in mindset/policy so far as how the recruitment of new players is done.  A free 2 week offer and a 15$/month (20$ here) isn't going to get it done, not with other options out there like WT and such, which granted, are inferior, but have mind boggling numbers.  Those numbers did HTC a favor IMO, getting tens of thousands of previously uninterested players into WW2 aviation games.  Targeting them specifically would be where I would start.  Lots of other ways to skin the cat, but innovation in capturing new clients, not just the new version, will be required, that much I'm certain of.

The smart money is on none of this being news to HTC, I'm sure they have an aggressive plan to populate the new version of the game once it's up and running post beta.  No point in a marketing plan being executed until the new game is online IMO.

The numbers will return, there are more people than ever getting into PC gaming, and more specifically into WW2 flying games than ever before.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 01:41:45 AM »
Would be nice if the rest of the Warbirds folks would just come over.  I flew with them for a few years.  We're a small enough community already. Hopefully some will check out AH3 and stay.

They most probably won't.
As you know, the community over in Warbirds have a quite different demographics than in here.

I flew as a WB trainer over there 11 years so I have good experience of both worlds too.

For the most part, It's not the game itself that keep WB community away.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 09:54:41 AM »
Wizz, it wasn't all that long ago when we had 2 arenas for the MA because of high player numbers, and only Titanic Tuesday where everyone could fly MA in one large arena - many many nights that was close to full 600+, and IIRC I had to wait to get in once when it was right full at 650, again murky on the max number, but I think I'm close.

Those days can be here again, IMO it'll take not only the new version, but also a change in mindset/policy so far as how the recruitment of new players is done.  A free 2 week offer and a 15$/month (20$ here) isn't going to get it done, not with other options out there like WT and such, which granted, are inferior, but have mind boggling numbers.  Those numbers did HTC a favor IMO, getting tens of thousands of previously uninterested players into WW2 aviation games.  Targeting them specifically would be where I would start.  Lots of other ways to skin the cat, but innovation in capturing new clients, not just the new version, will be required, that much I'm certain of.

The smart money is on none of this being news to HTC, I'm sure they have an aggressive plan to populate the new version of the game once it's up and running post beta.  No point in a marketing plan being executed until the new game is online IMO.

The numbers will return, there are more people than ever getting into PC gaming, and more specifically into WW2 flying games than ever before.
:banana: :cheers: Nice positive response I love it
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 12:56:15 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 01:55:54 PM by hitech »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »
IQ is probably not the real problem. IQ is potential, and if you are part of a generation not forced to develop your potential, well you might come off as a shallow, self centered, short attention spanned idiot. Until that idiot becomes motivated to find all of the exploits in a game and abuse the community with his cleverness.

If they come and look at AHIII and it motivates them, we will have numbers again. Hitech is keeping his strategy to motivate them for AHIII close to the vest, which on his side of the business is a good strategy. We are not employees, we just play the game. He owns it and will not allow us to blurr that distinction. Let the man do his job, you are acting like employees trying to second guess if management is outsourcing you to India.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.