Author Topic: 1.0 Gbps or 100 Mbps What is set wrong?  (Read 624 times)

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
1.0 Gbps or 100 Mbps What is set wrong?
« on: November 04, 2015, 04:25:04 PM »
Okay guys here's my problem. I have a new PC with Windows 7 Pro, Asus Sabertooth Z97, with a Intel i7.
I have Comcast internet hard wired. When I look in the Task Manager, the Network speed says 100 Mbps.
I ran a seed test and got a 86 Mbps download speed.
Now wait a minute...I also have a 12 year old Dell 8400 connected the same other than a real long cable and when I look at this Task Manager, the Network speed says 1.0 Gbps. A speed test on this one gives 124 Mbps download speed.
What do I have set wrong?

I will collide with you!

<S> vBell

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: 1.0 Gbps or 100 Mbps What is set wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »
There two possibilities (assuming the motherboard Ethernet port is 1Gb/s and not 100Mb/s).

1)  The motherboard Ethernet port is set to auto-negotiate and the negotiation for 1Gb/s failed.  This can be cable related or it could also be a compatibility issue with the port it is being connected to.

2)  The Comcast device is auto-negotiating and not able to establish a 1Gb/s connection.  Again, it could be cable, or it could be a compatibility issue.

Sometimes devices do not auto-negotiate well.  Set one of the devices to not negotiate and set the speed to 1Gb/s.  If doing one device fails, then reset back to normal and retry with the other device.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 06:07:20 PM »
And of course you are correct as usual.
Comcast provided a yellow cable that I believe is a cat-7. I replaced it with a cat-5 that I have. Problem solved.
Connection 1.0 Gbps
Ping 9 ms
Download 124.23 Mbps
Upload 12.29 Mbps
( I'm running out of excuses for being such a poor shot ) LOL

Thanks Skuzzy.
<S> vBell

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 06:23:29 AM »
Glad you got it sorted out.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 07:09:15 AM »
Comcast provided a yellow cable that I believe is a cat-7. I replaced it with a cat-5 that I have. Problem solved.

Bellator, glad you got it fixed and working to your liking

but in reference to the yellow cable from Comcast, it more than likely was just a bad patch cable, when I was on Comcast ( and 1 of my Daughter's is now, down in FL ) all they sent out was yellow cat-5 patch cables  (my Daughter just recently got one in the past 3 months )

as for the difference in cat5 vs cat7, that information is easily found through google if you want to read up on it

I have our house in NC wired with Cat-7 STP wiring ( STP = shielded twisted pairs ) where as cat-5 & cat-5e, cat-6 & cat-6e are UTP ( unshielded twisted pairs ), the shielded cat-7 cuts down on noise interference / EMI -> electro magnetic interference... stuff like electrical wiring in the home, televisions, radios, microwaves, telephones/cell phones etc...

the cat-7 wiring is a bit more expensive, but it also assures  my home's 1 GBps throughput on my home network through out the house...

hope this reply is helpful

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC