Author Topic: A good morning to reflect on college football  (Read 43230 times)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: A good morning to reflect on college football
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 11:25:42 AM »
Pfft. Michigan can still win the big ten.  Shame on you. 

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 01:05:37 PM »
Michigan hasn't been relevant for more than a decade.  Mentioning past championships of that age is pointless to an extent.   Currently, Michigan State and OSU are the only two worth mentioning within the Big Ten.   Northwestern slipping through the cracks because they didn't even play a decent team.  Nebraska will need a couple of seasons to rotate players in to the new coaching regime but have been quiet, (like Penn State) since coming over to the Big Ten.   Iowa is always a crap shoot and the rest are filler.

But I merely sit back while most Wolverine fans ignore the present and live in the past.   Beating up on Rutgers is pointless when two games a year matter.

The present is great.  You are the one focusing on the past.

(By the way, in the other post, I was responding to a guy who said, "Hey, once you've won a national championship, we can talk."  Well, they have.  He didn't say, "Hey, once you've won a national championship since a time I conveniently pick to include Ohio State but not Michigan, we can talk.")

As for not doing well over the previous 10 years, well, yes -- that was the whole point of getting Harbaugh, which seems to have made a positive change in the present.

MSU and Ohio State being the only two to mention, except that:
-- Michigan is 7-2, where they lost to MSU only by a fluke in the last 10 seconds of the game.
-- Michigan's only other loss was Utah on their very first game, when they weren't playing particularly well compared to today.
-- The shutouts of #22 BYU and #13 Northwestern.
-- Michigan has the #1 ranked defense in the nation currently.
-- Iowa is undefeated and ranked #8.
-- MSU is rated #14 while Michigan is rated #15 right now.
-- Wisconsin and Northwestern are ranked.
-- Wisconsin has lost only to #3 ranked Alabama and unbeaten Iowa.
-- Ohio State so far has played *no* ranked teams.
-- Michigan State so far has played only one ranked team (Michigan).
-- Michigan so far has played three ranked teams, not even counting Utah.

These are all things in the present.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 01:47:31 PM »
You could also say Miciganh out played every opponent this year.  They look like a very good team.  November 28th I believe, the big house, be there or be square.

Go Blue!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 02:20:58 PM »
The present is great.  You are the one focusing on the past.

(By the way, in the other post, I was responding to a guy who said, "Hey, once you've won a national championship, we can talk."  Well, they have.  He didn't say, "Hey, once you've won a national championship since a time I conveniently pick to include Ohio State but not Michigan, we can talk.")

As for not doing well over the previous 10 years, well, yes -- that was the whole point of getting Harbaugh, which seems to have made a positive change in the present.

MSU and Ohio State being the only two to mention, except that:
-- Michigan is 7-2, where they lost to MSU only by a fluke in the last 10 seconds of the game.
-- Michigan's only other loss was Utah on their very first game, when they weren't playing particularly well compared to today.
-- The shutouts of #22 BYU and #13 Northwestern.
-- Michigan has the #1 ranked defense in the nation currently.
-- Iowa is undefeated and ranked #8.
-- MSU is rated #14 while Michigan is rated #15 right now.
-- Wisconsin and Northwestern are ranked.
-- Wisconsin has lost only to #3 ranked Alabama and unbeaten Iowa.
-- Ohio State so far has played *no* ranked teams.
-- Michigan State so far has played only one ranked team (Michigan).
-- Michigan so far has played three ranked teams, not even counting Utah.

These are all things in the present.

Northwestern played no one which is why I addressed that one in the previous post.   You lost to MSU and OSU will take Michigan to pound town in a couple of weeks.   Rutgers was a tune up game as was BYU, since they lost their starting QB a week prior.  I am sorry but I am tired of hearing it.   Michigan will need about five to seven years to become relevant again.   Not this messiah like miracle of going to the playoffs within three years.   People who even think that are not being rational.  They have to regularly best the two top teams and then the discussions can begin.   Until then?   Their dance card is absentia.

When it comes to college football I am a realist.   You posted the Championship years which include Yosts hand picked referees at home.   Sorry when I hear those retreads come out, it tells me how little some can talk about football.  Like some Yankees fans and rings.

Michigan State and Ohio State have superior programs and have for at least ten to fifteen seasons.   The numbers don't lie and pre-WWII championships cannot be reused.

Finally.   MSU won because on that play, they were out coached.   Michigan sent four gunners down field toward one receiver and left the box 10 to 6, not including the punter.   It was not a fluke.   It was a grave error on the part of Harbaugh.   Watch it a couple of times.   Two MSU backs went in unimpeded.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:24:36 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
Must be a delusional baseball fan.  MSU was a joke before dantonio.  Remember Jon l and bobby w. Lol.  Little brother.  Michigan is legit.  MSU played a great game against um this year and Michigan had them beat.  You can't take anything away from either team they both blay excellent games.  You can not say OSU will beat up um, um is a different team this year and they are playing great football.  OSU plays sparty in two weeks and they better be ready.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »
I think lil brother may be seeing the end of their little run, and has the couch burners nervous. Low snap cost Michigan this years game next year M wins 35-7.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 03:23:43 PM »
What do you guys think?

Yeah, not looking so good loosing your ol qb wr lb and dl. gong to be a tough year.  :devil

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 05:01:43 PM »
Must be a delusional baseball fan.  MSU was a joke before dantonio.  Remember Jon l and bobby w. Lol.  Little brother.  Michigan is legit.  MSU played a great game against um this year and Michigan had them beat.  You can't take anything away from either team they both blay excellent games.  You can not say OSU will beat up um, um is a different team this year and they are playing great football.  OSU plays sparty in two weeks and they better be ready.

Little Brother is Michigan and I do not even root for a Big Ten team.   Michigan did not have them beat, because they lost.   The only two "legit" teams in the conference are MSU and OSU.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »
What do you guys think?

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, not looking so good loosing your ol qb wr lb and dl. gong to be a tough year.  :devil

Who is living in the past?   Again, I don't root for a Big Ten team but D'Antonio has outcoached Michigan for how many years now?   But Michigan fans try to tap dance between the past and present. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 05:45:47 PM »
Northwestern played no one which is why I addressed that one in the previous post.   

Northwestern played tougher teams than Ohio State has so far.

You lost to MSU

Yes.  On an improbable fluke in the last 10 seconds of the game.

and OSU will take Michigan to pound town in a couple of weeks.   

They'd better.  They are ranked #2 and Michigan is ranked #15.  If they can't do that, they aren't #2 material.

Rutgers was a tune up game as was BYU, since they lost their starting QB a week prior.  I am sorry but I am tired of hearing it. 

If you are tired of hearing of about Rutgers, simply don't bring it up.  I haven't mentioned Rutgers at all -- you keep doing that.  If you want to talk about "tune up" games, you can take your pick of the entirety of Ohio State's season so far (except for Penn State and maybe Minnesota, although I'm sure you can muster some snobbish disdain for them as well).

Michigan will need about five to seven years to become relevant again.   Not this messiah like miracle of going to the playoffs within three years.   People who even think that are not being rational.  They have to regularly best the two top teams and then the discussions can begin.   Until then?   Their dance card is absentia.

Defining "relevance" being tied only to national championships is an absurd and ridiculous exaggeration.  By that definition, Ohio State was not relevant for the majority of the past 15 years.  MSU has not been relevant in the past 15 years.

When it comes to college football I am a realist.   You posted the Championship years which include Yosts hand picked referees at home.   Sorry when I hear those retreads come out, it tells me how little some can talk about football.  Like some Yankees fans and rings.

When it comes to college football, I think that you are an argumentum ad absurdum.

(Forget about the championships I posted.  That was a discussion I had with someone else, not started with you.  I already explained that.  No need to harp on it.  It is irrelevant to what we are discussing here, namely your absurd notions of "relevant" and "present".)

Michigan State and Ohio State have superior programs and have for at least ten to fifteen seasons.

Yes, for the last decade or so.  But this year is clearly, measurably, and demonstrably different compared to pre-Harbaugh.

Finally.   MSU won because on that play, they were out coached.

They coached the Michigan punter to fumble the snap?  Incredible.  (I also like how MSU's superior coaching got one of Michigan's top defensive players thrown out of the game on a crap call.)  I guess they used up their magical coaching powers, though, and didn't have any left for that irrelevant 3-and-6 Nebraska.

You shouldn't be all grumpy and sour about Michigan football becoming relevant again.  It is good for the Big 10.  Unless you are worried that MSU and Ohio State can't handle it going forward, or don't like it that Michigan gets lots of publicity, or hate Michigan because it is one of the top 30 universities in the world.  ;)

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 05:50:40 PM »
Who is living in the past?   Again, I don't root for a Big Ten team but D'Antonio has outcoached Michigan for how many years now?   But Michigan fans try to tap dance between the past and present.
  I dont think many Michigan fans are looking to the past right now. I for one am excited as hell about the next few years. This year has already been a success for me, if you knew anything about football and actually watched the games you would see just how far the kids playing have come since last year, kids that would never have seen the feild under Hoke are now a big part of the team. Sione Houma is a perfect example of that I wish we had him one more year. Then there are the running backs where Hoke had Drake Johnson BURIED in the depth chart just sitting there then when injuries faced Hoke to put him in he provided a spark.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »
Little Brother is Michigan and I do not even root for a Big Ten team.   Michigan did not have them beat, because they lost.   The only two "legit" teams in the conference are MSU and OSU.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
maybe hes a mac fan...Im guesing just a hater. having lived most of my life in michigan there are three types here.  michigan fans, spartan fans and packer fans.  the rest dont like football.  Go Blue  :banana:

living in the past... how bout this.
 :banana: :banana:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:56:36 PM by NatCigg »

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 05:57:49 PM »
maybe hes a mac fan...Im guesing just a hater. having lived most of my life in michigan there are three types here.  michigan fans, spartan fans and packer fans.  the rest dont like football.  Go Blue  :banana:

living in the past... how bout this. (Image removed from quote.)
 :banana: :banana:
NOpe IM gonna say Notre Dame, you know the guys that took their ball and went home.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 05:58:41 PM »
  I dont think many Michigan fans are looking to the past right now. I for one am excited as hell about the next few years. This year has already been a success for me, if you knew anything about football and actually watched the games . . .

:aok