Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 2105 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Facebook
« on: November 09, 2015, 02:21:25 PM »
Facebook has been told it cannot track people who are not on Facebook in Belgium :old:

They are going to contest the decision, are these people deluded and think its acceptable to track anyone it choose's

In 20 years time your going to be arrested for not being on Facebook.

How many stools i have a day is my business and i refuse to put my daily bowel movements on facebook

You all jump about North Korea when this is happening

Feminism is to blame :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »
I would enjoy slamming Mark Zucherburg's head into his desk a few times.  God complex anyone?
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »
How hard can it be to turn off location services on your phone...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:52:09 PM »
How hard can it be to turn off location services on your phone...

Facebook (and other services) can turn on the location services long enough to get a location, whenever they want.  If you think you can stop that, you are fooling yourself.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
I run Cyanogen OS on my android. I can force the location service off, and limit any usage on a per-app basis. I hear android 6.0 can do the same stock.

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
Facebook (and other services) can turn on the location services long enough to get a location, whenever they want.  If you think you can stop that, you are fooling yourself.

Wanna bet?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 03:05:23 PM »
What makes you think a piece of software you use to disable a feature cannot be re-activated by another piece of software you allow to be run on your phone?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 03:09:38 PM »
App permissions are OS regulated. An app must request access to a system service from the OS.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »

How many stools i have a day is my business and i refuse to put my daily bowel movements on facebook

You all jump about North Korea when this is happening

Feminism is to blame :old:

Dear Zack, I like to make how many stools I have a day EVERYBODY'S business. In fact, I just put a nice pic of a big glistening brown growler up on Facebook for everyone's enjoyment. I'll send you a link so that you can enjoy it too. You'll note that it defied flushing, even though it was appropriately deposited in what I like to call a "proud flusher", aka, a Commercial Toilet.

Jeff Zuckerberg sends me personal notes commending me and says that's why he started facebook in the first place. All I know is that i'm completely expulsive and thus like the idea of holding the golden brown majesty up for all to behold in terror.

Check out this baby, Zuck! You'll never even be able to come close to this one's gurgling majesty! Behold and know fear!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:29:19 PM by PJ_Godzilla »
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 03:35:23 PM »
App permissions are OS regulated. An app must request access to a system service from the OS.

You are assuming the hardware has a protected mode feature set.  Software permissions are easily circumvented without hardware protected mode.  Does the smart phone have a CPU which supports hardware protected mode?  Does the OS support it?

For instance, Windows applications can talk to any hardware, directly.  They can access any memory space, including other applications memory space as well.  I was under the impression smart phones lacked hardware memory protection which requires the operating system to run in protected mode in order to take advantage of such hardware.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline WaffenVW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »
Oh I'm sure it can be hacked and circumvented by malicious software one way or another, but not by Facebook Messenger or any other major app provider who would suffer dire consequences if and when someone inevitably found them out.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
If you are connected in anyway shape or form and they want they can....

We know what they want us to know  :noid

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 04:49:30 PM »
Not having the facebook app on the phone is a start. Also having internet turned off while not using it...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 05:10:31 PM »
Did any of you numpties bother to google the article?

Facebook tracks the web browsing of everyone who visits a page on its site even if the user does not have an account or has explicitly opted out of tracking in the EU, extensive research commissioned by the Belgian data protection agency has revealed.

They are talking about using cookies in your browser to track what websites you visit. Not GPS tracking.

It is not just facebook tracking you, but many other sites as well. In typical day of browsing I usually block 200-400 trackers (blocked at my firewall). This is not cookies but attempts to hit their sites, and excludes SSL traffic (I don't currently decrypt) so may only account for around 70-80% of trackers.