Author Topic: Yucca and Frenchy dogfights with commentaries  (Read 2137 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Re: Yucca and Frenchy dogfights with commentaries
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 12:14:55 PM »
Good stuff Frenchy and Yucca - thanks for sharing. :rock
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 02:32:06 PM »
Thank you both.  I had chosen the P47D25 to fly for other reasons, rear visibility and low eny.  My intent was the wear in that pilot's seat until I had some sort of feeling for the controls.  This film was a good step in that direction for me. 

Noted during the video, Yucca doesn't miss  :D  Both were very talented and great instructors.  It is great that the merge was extensively covered, as this is where many fights go belly up quickly.

:salute

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »
I didn't see you comment of the convergence on the guns.  Can I assume there are minimal differences in convergence, between models?

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 06:33:06 PM »
Man that looked like fun!
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 04:00:29 PM »
Chilli, good point. I myself use 250. I tried 100/150 as to give me a definite kill on those knife edge dogfight snapshots as the bad guy zaps thru your gunsight. It didn't seem to make much of a difference, I was rarely getting that critical damage, but I surely had a disadvantage on my other breat and butter, the 400/600y deflection shots. I tried 600y convergence, I tried  400/450/500/550 'shotgun' convergence and various declinations. 250 is my best result.

As far as model goes, they all have the same convergence except the N. The N has an extra wing section between the guns and the fuselage. I still use 250.

De-acking is porked for the 50s. HTC modeled the 20mm cannon like a hand grenade. Anywhere into the AAA circle and it'll go boom 1 shell. With the 50s you have to hit the gun and you can literally spray inside the circle for a couple of seconds like 300-400 rounds and still not kill the dam thing. 250 convergence, you'll have to offset your aim to one side to hit 'the gun', or wait the all 300y to shoot. :old:
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 02:33:30 PM »
 I'm glad to see that Frenchie finally put this in the proper forum..... :devil

Frenchie,I like that you use a close in conv.,if you can call 250 close... :rofl But I see many players who use 400 to 600 yds.

The problem with a long convergence is that the rounds dont come up to the pipper until conv range so they end up having to pull even more lead in a maneuvering shot.

I'm not a very good shot,my eyesight fails me,so I'm forced to get in close to hit anything. I tend to use 250 as my settingsome MG's I set to 300 because they are cowl mounted but other than that most guns are at 250,except the german 30mm,that I set to 175 or 200!

:salute

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 02:46:21 PM »
Really enjoyed your video Frenchy and Yucca...

just would like to add one thing regarding convergence settings.... they will be different for every player...

The idea is to find what works best for you, and you need to learn to not be looking at the icon range counter, but look at the plane size in your bore site, you need to practice and memorize this mental picture size until it becomes second nature or some will refer to it as muscle memory.... Then it will not matter what convergence you use, just learn to find what convergence you prefer, then practice memorizing the plane size in your bore site...... don't think this happens in just a month or two. It most times takes nearly a good year of flying to become proficient to get this mental picture in your head/memory....

I fly most all planes at 350 convergence, because that is my mental picture I have come to know, for deflection and crossing shots, etc...

one other thing to do, if you duel a lot, you most likely will be flying in close quarters combat, so you can actually drop your 350 range down from 350 to like 300 or 275 and be even better...but I apply this reduction of convergence to Dueling only.... my preference, any ways

some of the smaller ammo guns, it's bets to shorten the convg range anyways, possibly use the default game loaded convergence, for the best hitting effectiveness.......

hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC