Author Topic: Windows 10 - The empire rules you  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Windows 10 - The empire rules you
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:49:46 PM »
Did you recently discover that CPU-Z no longer works on your W10 installation? How about CPUID? Well, it turns out this is the beginning of something MS needs to get a grip on, and fast. I was using CPU-Z and CPUID to compare settings with those reported by the OS and BIOS (the readings I was getting were WAY off) while I was testing overclock results. The next day CPU-Z, CPUID, and OCCT were completely goin off my system. So, I did some research this morning and:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/218570-windows-10s-broken-fall-update-removes-user-installed-applications-without-asking-first

So, after reading this and a few other topics on the matter I am going to suggest that anyone that regularly updates their hardware, changes video cards, or drivers should at minimum start using something like DDU ( http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/ ), or just completely stay away from Windows 10 altogether.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Re: Windows 10 - The empire rules you
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:53:19 PM »
CPU-Z still works on my Win 10 Pro box.   :headscratch:

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
The issue of MS deciding to remove certain programs will occur if you see a lot of instability issues (as in the overclocking I was doing), which is why they were removed from my test box. Still, imagine for a minute the issue you could run into if you have driver issues with AMD video cards (for example) and just can't seem to get it right.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 09:30:18 PM »
They're both working fine for me.
Windows 10 64Bit.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »
Wow, that extremetech article you linked is an eye-opener.  They even referred to cases where Win10 just up and decided to totally remove the users' Catalyst Control Center and install it's own dumb driver, without asking the user at all.  If that is true... yikes!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 01:25:21 PM »
--- cases where Win10 just up and decided to totally remove the users' Catalyst Control Center and install it's own dumb driver, without asking the user at all.---

Until Win10 the rule of thumb has been never to allow Windows install any drivers. I've witnessed Win 8.1 to replace the latest Nvidia Quatro WHQL driver with an older one with the result of VGA only. The update comment said something like "it's very important to use the latest certified drivers for stability..." That was not too long ago and I have strong doubts that things haven't changed in mere months. Seems like Redmond is in a different time zone than the rest of the world. Are they lagging months or years, I don't know and to be honest, I really couldn't care less.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »
I reverted to a state prior to this last update and I cleared the reliability history and then I was able to get the programs reinstalled. As the update proceeded it did not uninstall CPU-Z, or CPUID, and OCCT is there as well, so all good for now. Otherwise, I think I might have had to start over from scratch.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 02:06:30 PM »
Wow, that extremetech article you linked is an eye-opener.  They even referred to cases where Win10 just up and decided to totally remove the users' Catalyst Control Center and install it's own dumb driver, without asking the user at all.  If that is true... yikes!

There are settings to disable driver updates.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 02:57:55 PM »
Except that according to the agreement you accepted they can override that. My guess is that this is what happened in the 'I don't know if it's quarterly or a 30-day update" that came through. The thing is MS has decided to keep the user out of the loop, which is good for non-interested parties and bad for the rest of us.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 07:52:13 PM »
I just did a complete refresh of my laptop to Win 8.1 then to 10 yesterday. 

I read that the Nov update also changed everyone's privacy settings back to default (send all info to MS).  I just went in and turned everything off.  The 10 install did remove a couple of Realtek items from my system but I don't recall which and so far I haven't missed them.

What I found annoying initially is that MS decided I liked Edge, Groove Music and Video Player, all downgrades of prior applications, better than IE and Media Player and that they really push Cortina at you (no thanks).  I guess they're trying to dumb things down for the smartphone market.  That said, so far I like it better than 8.1 but the jury's still out.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 09:15:41 PM »
I just did a complete refresh of my laptop to Win 8.1 then to 10 yesterday. 

I read that the Nov update also changed everyone's privacy settings back to default (send all info to MS).  I just went in and turned everything off.  The 10 install did remove a couple of Realtek items from my system but I don't recall which and so far I haven't missed them.

What I found annoying initially is that MS decided I liked Edge, Groove Music and Video Player, all downgrades of prior applications, better than IE and Media Player and that they really push Cortina at you (no thanks).  I guess they're trying to dumb things down for the smartphone market.  That said, so far I like it better than 8.1 but the jury's still out.

I agree that Windows 10 has a horrible media interface.
I use the following:

1. Palemoon (web)
2. MusicBee (music)
3. Fastone Image Viewer (pictures)
4. Windows Media Player Classic (for video)

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 01:31:16 AM »
I use CyberLink PowerDVD which will play even BluRay DVDs on Windows 10.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 03:11:01 AM »
I just updated our Steam machine and it acted the same way in removing CPU-Z and CPUID. It may be that I had left older versions on, but I have never had an OS act this way and I'm not really comfortable with it.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 08:42:58 AM »
Good find Chalenge, it's better to wait for 1rst service pack for any new Windows OS.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »
What does Microsoft have against CPU-Z and CPUID?