Author Topic: P-51B "Ding Hao!" - James Howard  (Read 11113 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
P-51B "Ding Hao!" - James Howard
« on: December 09, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »
I don't see this skin in game yet.

Am I missing it?

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/165/pics/3_50_b1.jpg
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-51B "Ding Hao!" - James Howard
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 08:30:52 PM »
"Ding Hao!" is not yet done. This plane needs to be in AH as its pilot, Col. James H. Howard, was awarded the Medal of Honor flying it.

Here's a great reference pic.

Further reference:
http://www.thisdayinaviation.com/11-january-1944/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:36:18 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
Yeah and he was considered a very skillful tactician when he was a group commander (or squadron commander).   That MOH fight was something else.  I encourage everyone to read about it.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »
Actually he was not in Ding Hao when he earned his MOH... but never let accuracy get in the way of a good P-51 skin.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »
Actually he was not in Ding Hao when he earned his MOH... but never let accuracy get in the way of a good P-51 skin.

Doesn't matter (and I never said he was--I have no idea what he was flying on that MOH sortie other than a P-51B).  He's a famous pilot and this airplane is the one he is most identified with.  It definitely should be in the game.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:56:17 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »
Interesting. This is the only scheme I've seen attributed to him that I can remember. Funny how this happens with so many aces.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 07:12:44 PM »
Interesting. This is the only scheme I've seen attributed to him that I can remember. Funny how this happens with so many aces.

It's his signature mount.

Many aces flew airplanes other than the ones they are most associated with for all sorts of reasons.   This one is the one he is most associated with so it should definitely be in the game, as you mentioned before.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 11:31:48 AM »
So 4 of the 6 japanese kills are actually ground strafe kills, but the AAF pressured him to put the six kill flags on his plane for publicity though he didnt want to do it. Looks awesome :)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »
So 4 of the 6 japanese kills are actually ground strafe kills, but the AAF pressured him to put the six kill flags on his plane for publicity though he didnt want to do it. Looks awesome :)

He is credited with 13.33 victories.

Some of these are against the Japanese.  I would imagine the kill flags are pretty accurate in this case.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 09:04:35 AM »
13.33 kills?   wouldnt that put him behind about 400 luftwaffe aces in terms of skins we should have based on kills?

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »
13.33 kills?   wouldnt that put him behind about 400 luftwaffe aces in terms of skins we should have based on kills?
Yes, but irrelevant.

Understand that the kills those Luftwaffe aces made over the war will never be achieved again.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »

13.33 is a respectable tally for an American pilot considering the relatively low time in theater and the increasingly fewer chances for aerial combat. Also remember that Howard was awarded the Medal of Honor for an engagement in January '44.

Official Citation:
"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy near Oschersleben, Germany, on 11 January 1944. On that day Col. Howard was the leader of a group of P-51 aircraft providing support for a heavy bomber formation on a long-range mission deep in enemy territory. As Col. Howard's group met the bombers in the target area the bomber force was attacked by numerous enemy fighters. Col. Howard, with his group, at once engaged the enemy and himself destroyed a German ME. 110. As a result of this attack Col. Howard lost contact with his group, and at once returned to the level of the bomber formation. He then saw that the bombers were being heavily attacked by enemy airplanes and that no other friendly fighters were at hand. While Col. Howard could have waited to attempt to assemble his group before engaging the enemy, he chose instead to attack single-handed a formation of more than 30 German airplanes. With utter disregard for his own safety he immediately pressed home determined attacks for some 30 minutes, during which time he destroyed 3 enemy airplanes and probably destroyed and damaged others. Toward the end of this engagement 3 of his guns went out of action and his fuel supply was becoming dangerously low. Despite these handicaps and the almost insuperable odds against him, Col. Howard continued his aggressive action in an attempt to protect the bombers from the numerous fighters. His skill, courage, and intrepidity on this occasion set an example of heroism which will be an inspiration to the U.S. Armed Forces"

The reason that Howard was separated was because of severely poor visibility and the rest of the group aborted their mission for safety concerns. Howard continued alone to meet the bomber stream and battled through unfavorable odds. Howard ranks very high on my list for most respected Allied pilots.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 01:15:26 PM »
Yes, but irrelevant.

Understand that the kills those Luftwaffe aces made over the war will never be achieved again.

Also irrelevant since we cannot skin Luftwaffe P-51Bs in game.  I am also unaware of any German Mustang aces.

We are discussing the P-51B in this case and Howard is a good subject being the only ETO fighter pilot recipient of the MoH.

As the OP I was querying the existence of the skin as I was considering doing it.   I probably can't do it justice so will defer to others.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 11:17:47 AM »
I probably can't do it justice so will defer to others.

You should, your other skins are great  :aok

As for the 4 of 6 japanese kills being on the ground, that comes from official 8th airforce history btw, I only included it as a point of interest.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 02:52:08 PM »
You should, your other skins are great  :aok

As for the 4 of 6 japanese kills being on the ground, that comes from official 8th airforce history btw, I only included it as a point of interest.

Thanks man.  I appreciate that.  I'm still learning.    :salute

That is an interesting factoid on his victories.   I always assumed they were aerial.
”KILLER V”
The Damned