Author Topic: Off hours-- or should that be low population WARNING>>RANT  (Read 12838 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Off hours-- or should that be low population WARNING>>RANT
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2015, 05:40:43 PM »
If your assertion is why people fly, then rewarding perks this way will turn all of us into HOers all the time every time we see a con.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »
I just think there should be more incentive to interact than to survive. I also think hoing everything in sight would be a great way to only get 1 or 2 kills and miss out on a large multiplier.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2015, 07:37:03 PM »
Even with the best of intentions for the idea, you are offering semi free stuff. They will HO because it's fast and easy. You cannot manipulate people who avoid the hard work of learning ACM and lacking the internal constitution for fighting, into fighting when that spirit of avoidance is the rudder to their boat. Force them to fight and they will spend their $14.95 somewhere else. So giving them semi free perks, their lazy answer will be HOing and running more than they do it now.

All you are seeing very clearly because of our small numbers, is 90% won't, don't care, or don't want to place themselves in harms way. You are looking at the same small numbers as in WW2 who made the majority of the fighter to fighter kills. In this game those are the ones who want to fight, have made the effort to learn ACM, and call everyone else cowards and other pejoratives related to their different internal constitution.

A way to look at this, in 1944 701 combat films were reviewed in which 189 planes were shot down. 39% of the 701 pilots shot down the 189 planes. And those were 701 pilots who wanted to be fighter pilots. Between 1941 and 1945, 40% of all pilot training candidates washed out. Most play this game as a game and find out it's rougher than that on the ego.

This will not make them want to fight. It will appeal to their greed and laziness which will end up them doing anything gamey as possible to get the semi free points without having to risk fighting for them.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2015, 09:12:56 PM »
We might have to agree to disagree on what effect this might have on people prior to seeing "A kill has been recorded."  You're entitled to your opinion that this would increase gamey/lazy/stupid behavior, but I don't see how there's much room to do that. 

My question with this idea is what effect it might have on people AFTER they see "A kill has been recorded."  Right now, doing anything risky after you get a kill carries the chance of losing 3x the points(?).  It's also a way to lose out on your name in lights, and depending on circumstances, a chance to reduce your score. These are all deterrents to fighting.  Right now, the only real benefits to fighting are all internal and personal (desire for self-improvement, ego, perhaps you think fighting is fun).  There's really no measurable and objective "reward" - it's all subjective.  Maybe that's part of the reason so few undertake to fight.

Fugitive and others wanted a "carrot" and I offer this as an in-game mechanism that is measurable and that we can tweak.  If you have another idea, let's hear it!
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »
Did Warbirds show every kill in the buffer?   I seem to recall it did. Even Maneuver Kills. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: December 25, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
Warbirds 2.0 through 2.77 had the ability to show when you entered and left the arena, kills recorded, and even named who your bullets/shells/bombs hit and how much energy they imparted to the target..........but only you and your victim/killer got to see the hits messages.

With the numbers here, it would quickly turn the buffer into a scrollfest.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #156 on: December 25, 2015, 10:51:21 AM »
I think this would be the best solution when we have low numbers.

fields would be greyed out until x numbers of players are online, open up some fields until next level of players come online etc, also when numbers decrease they are greyed out again.

Could the best solution be to have rotating CM mods who can deactivate bases in the back of the maps in order to shrink the overall size of the area to fight in based on the population of say <100 and bases that are being captured so the map can still be won?
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »

I think bombs / rockets would be required to take out radar and ammo, or increase the damage point so you need a couple of good strafing runs to get them down.
Both those targets are very easy to strafe down now.

I really do think the radar at bases need to be harder to destroy. It is very difficult for new players as well as in the off hours to find a fight, and when the radar is down you have a 25 mile radius of who knows what, who knows where, with a tiny dar bar. Its kind of not even worth upping if you have no idea what or where they are. Then you roll and its a stupid 15K 190D, its just not even worth it to go fight them.

IMO there are A. too many 190D dweebs, ( no offense, It is a great plane by all means, but too easy to run) minimal skill level needed. Not that anyone can change that, I'm just sayin.

B. Action needs to be easier to find, IE. make the radar harder to destroy so that players in the off hours / new players can find fights easier.

I mean, if you want to be strategic, go NOE and hide under the radar.

Also, I think Special Events need to be posted on the daily message boards when you first enter the game so that people who do not go on the forums know when special events are.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »
Warbirds 2.0 through 2.77 had the ability to show when you entered and left the arena, kills recorded, and even named who your bullets/shells/bombs hit and how much energy they imparted to the target..........but only you and your victim/killer got to see the hits messages.

With the numbers here, it would quickly turn the buffer into a scrollfest.

I remember kill messages in the buffer for landing even one victory.   That would be good here.  I  find myself flying differently at times over the prospect of getting my name in lights.    Not even consciously.   

Save has it nailed above. 
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #159 on: December 25, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »
I remember kill messages in the buffer for landing even one victory.   That would be good here.  I  find myself flying differently at times over the prospect of getting my name in lights.    Not even consciously.   

Save has it nailed above.

At one point AH DID have a kill message for each kill, but as stated it turned into scroll fest on the text buffer. It was raised to 2 to clean up the text buffer as well as making it a challenge to shoot for.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2015, 12:07:11 PM »
As a subscriber of almost 14 years, I agree with this suggestion. I've become fed-up with 20+ ENY limitations most mornings (EST) when I log on and find myself moving over to the MW arena. If nothing else, consider an option along these line for AH3. IMHO, capture the flag or steal the sheep isn't going to impact a difference.
The eny works to even sides. If folks fail to do so then the system does. It works in that those who fail to even sides either are limited with their plane choices or leave the arena. Your post shows how well this can work.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »
The eny works to even sides. If folks fail to do so then the system does. It works in that those who fail to even sides either are limited with their plane choices or leave the arena. Your post shows how well this can work.

It ruins fights and stagnates maps. 

It is incredibly frustrating with low numbers. 

I hate eny as currently structured even when it is supposed to help me.  All it does is dry up fights.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »
It ruins fights and stagnates maps. 

It is incredibly frustrating with low numbers. 

I hate eny as currently structured even when it is supposed to help me.  All it does is dry up fights.

Those who like hordes will always not like an even fight. You can't make everyone happy. You can make the arena more fair when others don't care. If you just like to turn terrains and not fight then this will not be to your liking. There are no codes to enter or coins to purchase to make yourself look better than the other player. The only way is to improve through playing. The better you get the less you care about having numbers or eny.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »
Those who like hordes will always not like an even fight. You can't make everyone happy. You can make the arena more fair when others don't care. If you just like to turn terrains and not fight then this will not be to your liking. There are no codes to enter or coins to purchase to make yourself look better than the other player. The only way is to improve through playing. The better you get the less you care about having numbers or eny.

It ruins the fights when I am defending against the horde.  Your assumption is completely incorrect.   Please read what I wrote and, going forward, respond without injecting what YOU THINK I said as opposed to my actual statement.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 04:33:02 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Off hours-- or should that be low population WARNING&gt;&gt;RANT
« Reply #164 on: December 25, 2015, 05:58:02 PM »
It ruins the fights when I am defending against the horde.  Your assumption is completely incorrect.   Please read what I wrote and, going forward, respond without injecting what YOU THINK I said as opposed to my actual statement.
I simply injected fact where facts were being overlooked. Fact is that you are extremely less likely to be horded when you are on a team that has numbers.

Therefore  if you are taking off at a base that is being attacked, which does not mean it is being horded, you can take off with what you are allowed to depending on numbers.

Works better than anything else suggested. It works far better than users policing themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

80th FS "Headhunters"