Author Topic: Improved damage models?  (Read 615 times)

Offline Nunz31

• Zinc Member
Improved damage models?
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »
Any thoughts on how or if you'll incorporate improved damage models on fighters/bombers or GVs with the release of AH3??

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Improved damage models?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 01:26:44 PM »
Let me first ask you Nunz, what have you observed so far?  I am not trying to be smartarze, but that whole issue is a broad term. 

What I have observed has been a comfortable increase in the "popping" power of the 50 cals again ( I say again, because as a very longtime AH enthusiast, this version seems to have placed them back to where they were).  Others, including yourself may have observed other things or even something different with 50 cals. 

Another area of damage, includes areas of failure.  How many hits in what particular area equals failure of that structure / area.  Again, I could point to specific areas and raise complaints, but as a whole, I am comfortable with what I have seen.

Lastly, I would have to say that the improvements in tracers, hit sprites and vehicle fires have done loads in the terms of debris and effects, and I would have to test the TBM to see if there are noticeable changes to "broken" damaged aircraft displays.

So, if there is something more specific that you had in mind that might clear it up, at least for me.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 01:26:01 PM »
The only reason .50 seems weak is the easy way of killing at longer distance with cannon shells.
 Real life you could be effective at 600 yards against buffs, and 400 yards against fighter targets because of dispersion etc.

I have not observed any damage changes in the .50 caliber (or the 13mm)

At 400 yards both are pretty devastating, at longer range only cannons keep the punch.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Nunz31

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 02:20:01 PM »
Simple observation in lack of distinction between ah2 and ah3 damage models, meaning inovation and or any sort of change. If not possible or not seen as needed then ok but ah3 should take us into the next decade and is competing with il2 and wt. It would be nice if critical shots meant more in ah3.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 02:28:42 PM »
Improved damage model.

Are you asking if the graphics and visual effects related to this will be updated or an enquiry about the practical effect of rounds?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Nunz31

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »

Thought i was being clear. Im not worried about graphics. It seems that the model for how a plane reacts to damage, where its damage and the end result of damage is the same. Relatively it feels like im playing ah2 with better geaphics but with simplistic changes to the damage modeling. It would be nice to see some inovation to this area. Not just ah2 import.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:14:35 PM by Nunz31 »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 03:12:14 PM »
No you are being vague. You have not defined your use of "damage model". It could be collision modeling, graphics of the damage during and after process, or the effect of rounds.

Yes "Hitech" not guys built this. Which part of this are you enquiring about?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »
Any thoughts on how or if you'll incorporate improved damage models on fighters/bombers or GVs with the release of AH3??

I believe Hitech has mentioned damage modeling being somewhere on his todo list. That doesn't mean we'll see it when AH3 is released.
My guess is there's enough to do already and damage modeling can wait for later updates. 

Offline Nunz31

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »
I believe Hitech has mentioned damage modeling being somewhere on his todo list. That doesn't mean we'll see it when AH3 is released.
My guess is there's enough to d6o already and damage modeling can wait for later updates.
ty. I wasnt lioking for an answer from every ah2 fanboy. But i figured this was an important question that has either been answered or wondered by someone. No changes to this department could in my opinion make or breaj whether ah3 is a new release or just pandoring. Hopefully they see the light and implement a deeper damage model.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 03:21:16 PM »
After 16 years of constant updates I'm not too worried. I'd rather see AH3 released sooner than later.

Offline Nunz31

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »
No you are being vague. You have not defined your use of "damage model". It could be collision modeling, graphics of the damage during and after process, or the effect of rounds.

Yes "Hitech" not guys built this. Which part of this are you enquiring about?
how about it emcompesses all those things. Are there any changes?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
WoW Nunz, you work for the competion.....or just don't like Hitech, same as a number of ex players have been busting his chops using AH3 as cover while he's busy coding.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Nunz31

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »
After 16 years of constant updates I'm not too worried. I'd rather see AH3 released sooner than later.
im not hating on ah2. I just want to see something worth the timw investment. My pc runs il2 smooth. All hightech has to do is prove this is a new game that will vring in new players and i think it will be a great success.

Offline Nunz31

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »
See rule #4.

Also Its HiTech not hightech
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:49:47 PM by hitech »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »
I recall that with the release of the WWI arena and aircraft models, there was some mention of the damage model changes that hopefully would carry into WWII aircraft models.  I don't recall if that came from HiTech or from a player's wishlist (I just remember there being some discussion).

Again, since I don't (never have) played iL2, and only have seen videos of it here and there, what do they do differently in the area of "damage model" that would be "worthy" of comparison? 

This is what I have gathered that AH3 coad currently does (please feel free to correct my impressions):

- calculates damage force impacted on polygon area
- calculates damage done to structures / objects from force tallied
- calculates impact force using formulas for velocity and blast radius
- calculates critical impact that results in structure failure or destruction
- signals graphic hit sprites, holes, craters, fires, explosions* and debris

With 50 cals, I have noticed a great improvement in ease of shooting field ack ack guns.  So which of the above would I attribute that to?  My best guess would be a greater impact force due to velocity and/ or blast radius calculation.

Again, what specific changes would be more iL2'ish?  If it just the way they respond graphically to damage, then I would say those are "eye candy" and very important yes, but the modeling of actual WWII ammo and weaponry should take precedence in AH3, as is their claim.