Author Topic: Terrain Editor Documentation  (Read 4025 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Terrain Editor Documentation
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 07:21:27 PM »
Question for you experienced terrain builders.

Would any of you be able to upload a video to YouTube for AH3.  That would really lower the learning curve.

Thank you.

:salute :salute

Excellent idea!  :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »
Waffle suggested using the L3DT program. If you go to Bundysoft.com there are Youtube links that show how to use
their Terrain Editor. You can start off with the free version and if you like the program you can buy the Professional version
for $40 U.S.  Like anything it takes awhile to learn the terminology. :aok
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Yaks

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »
Since the last update patch .02 the beta has crashed every time I have loaded it. No problems until patch .02. Any body else have this issue?
Fred

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »
Er, Yaks, we're on patch 4, and this is the Terrain Editor documentation thread.
If the game isn't auto updating when going online, look for the Beta 4 thread and you can download and reinstall after backing up your settings etc.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 02:36:02 PM »
I've been documenting the Terrain (type) tab recently. I'm hoping for some changes to be in the works for these tools but this has been sitting on my hard drive for a while so I updated the doc. If you're trying to set terrain types quickly, these tools are very useful.

As always, save your work often. Undo will not work with the global Terrain Type Filter tools.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2016, 10:41:47 AM »
The .oba file format.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »
TE Menus
Edit Window
Subtitled (only) the Objects Tab
-Man Guns
-Static Objects
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »
Easycor,

You might want to caveat the description on object pitch settings. I found about 1\3 were perfect relative to the current level elevation. Usually the latest generation of 3D object builds +- .1-.2. Older generation objects required futsing with them to get all three points on the ground. Then after doing all of that, running the "build", some were off the ground or in the ground again. The F4u family was naughty like that. And the Ju88 just didn't want to put it's tail wheel on the deck. The 47N needed personal care versus the other 47 models which all used the same settings. The spits and 109s played nice as groups.

If the tail wheel\skid was in the ground, often you had to split the difference on bringing it up versus bringing it just enough up, then lifting the whole plane by .1 or .2. The main gear to tail wheel relationship would get translated by the "build" back to the tail wheel in the ground. The Storch was very bad about that relationship. Also, this would all change depending where on an airfield I moved the object to.

Once the oba file is manually updated and the editor is opened. Run build to lock the pitch into the oba file, then start making adjustments. If you decide to move the object after you massage it's pitch, you will loose that pitch setting at the new move location. So first get all of the objects where you want them as your final location, then massage the main gear to nose\tail gear relationship and run the "build" to lock it in. After I made that runway line up photo op, I thought I could just slide all the planes onto the end of the macadam for the next photo op. When I moved them, the pitch zeroed out in the oba file. Fortunately I kept a backup from doing the runway lineup but, that is how I learned not all locations on a flat plain are equal when it comes to setting pitch for an object.

The pitch list is a "rule of thumb getting started list" which Hitech was kind enough to save my bacon with. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2016, 03:11:24 PM »
This hasn't been a priority but I've kept adding random small details. I don't think I've made any major changes since version 11. I'd hoped to include more details about texturing for the TE/OE but it's still under review until I can finish it this fall.

If there are any other contributors out there that wish to add anything, or can do a better job of writing a section, I can include your submittal in the next revision. Thanks.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001