Author Topic: Patch 89  (Read 3453 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Patch 89
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
I just watched some cockpit video and sound films at youtube from P51s, P47s, spitfires, FW190, 109, Wildcat, Grumman Duck, Yak52 and a Yak9. Until the plane is back on the ground taxying, there is very little to go on by the sound of the engine in flight. Even in a 2012 aerobatic video from a spitfire cockpit. The variations at the top of loops or picking up speed for a low pass over the runway were not enough to use in the game to gauge anything. Once that canopy was closed, pretty much one sound droning until the throttle was pulled all the way back. Since none of them pushed WEP, I will bet your feedback would be some sudden exhaust, increased vibrations, maybe a whine, and a jump in your gauges.

Used to fly right seat in a Beech 18 with my father on his cargo runs.  Pratt & Whitney radials. Just one droning sound until the throttle was pulled to idle for the most part. Then there were all those other sounds while taxying that make idling aero engines fun to listen to.

There are some low end sounds from all of those engines just after startup or taxying we are not getting. Our 262 sounds are sweet at least, and no one has ever complained about not being able to use that monotonous AH1-AH2 whine to judge their flight condition since I can remember in this game.
----------------------------------------

Tried to make a sound source change in the sounds GUI. Sound went into a loop until I exited the game.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »
having right seated in a Cessna as a passenger, you can always hear the rpms drop when he pulls back on the throttle. it might not be as pronounced is some planes but in a 172XP you can hear it even with the headsets on.
you get weird whistling sounds the more flaps it drops. also the braking affect is more pronounced with flaps then with reduced rpms..... just my 2 cents.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 04:13:15 PM »
having right seated in a Cessna as a passenger, you can always hear the rpms drop when he pulls back on the throttle. it might not be as pronounced is some planes but in a 172XP you can hear it even with the headsets on.
you get weird whistling sounds the more flaps it drops. also the braking affect is more pronounced with flaps then with reduced rpms..... just my 2 cents.

Odds are it has a fixed pitch prop, apples and oranges to constant speed. Last flight in my RV i was playing around just to see what you could hear. At cruise speed If i moved the throttle slowly to prevent governor lag, From full throttle to half I could not really detect any change. I didn't experiment below 1/2. If I moved the throttle quickly you got a small change in rpm before it returned to it's previous rpm.

We have been experimenting with different methods do give cues to throttle position I.E. vol, filters, distortion, but I would only change pitch as a last resort.

HiTech

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 04:39:02 PM »
Auto-Patch is really, really slow..

Download is 200k/s.. my cable rate ( measured ) is 60Mb/s   .. the downloader has quit 3 times on its own.

I don't  know if it's the game server, if its too busy, or if everybody is scrambling to get their amazon orders into FedEx for tomorrow.

It has been awhile since I have downloaded any patches.. this one is 1.6 GB.

:salute

<edit>  egods, I guess it had been awhile.. I think this was the 81-82 patch.. ended up taking 76 minutes..  The rest to get up to 89 were negligible..
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:03:03 PM by APDrone »
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
Any chance of a tad more low end in the cockpit engine sounds. The inline and radial files in the game are a bit higher pitch and shrill than what I was listening to on youtube. At idle and taxying, seems there should be some lower hollow lubbing sounds that were consistent in the videos.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 49Dallas

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »
Picture

Nice screenshots. I wish I could play the alpha, But I only get like 8FPS with everything turned down. :joystick:

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2015, 04:53:32 PM »
The inline and radial files in the game are a bit higher pitch and shrill than what I was listening to on youtube.

I've tried all the planes in Patch 89.  They all sound the same to me.  I'm guessing the engine sound is a placeholder.  (In fact, I'm kinda thinking that it's HT's RV-8.)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2015, 04:54:40 PM »
Odds are it has a fixed pitch prop, apples and oranges to constant speed. Last flight in my RV i was playing around just to see what you could hear. At cruise speed If i moved the throttle slowly to prevent governor lag, From full throttle to half I could not really detect any change. I didn't experiment below 1/2. If I moved the throttle quickly you got a small change in rpm before it returned to it's previous rpm.

We have been experimenting with different methods do give cues to throttle position I.E. vol, filters, distortion, but I would only change pitch as a last resort.

HiTech

Thanks HiTech,

I really appreciate your further explanation.  I wished that my first post was more about the awesome 3D sounds that correspond to head movements, the ambient stream / birdsong environment sound, or the hundreds (maybe thousands) of possibilities with the new sound system.

Your accurate response, "it is not a bug" made me wonder if it was a sealed deal, then you took the time out of your busy last pre holiday moments to ease that which I had pondered.  :salute

Hopefully, this discussion is still helpful, as I heard some alternative sound options, like change in wind sounds, vibrations, stress and those that you are already experimenting with.

In the end, sit back, put the headphones on and enjoy a nice ice filled glass of beverage  :cheers:  have a happy holiday, and I will do the same.  <<< I hope that sounds good to you.  :aok

Crash after "Quit" to splash screen and attempt to re enter Mission Arena:

Faulting application name: ahalpha.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5679b929
Faulting module name: ahalpha.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5679b929
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x001094ad
Faulting process id: 0x1b3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d13dd4eccf1c32
Faulting application path: C:\Hitech Creations\Patch 65\ahalpha.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Hitech Creations\Patch 65\ahalpha.exe
Report Id: 78989c77-a9c9-11e5-8331-001fd081fc6d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:10:26 PM by Chilli »

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2015, 04:58:29 PM »
From full throttle to half I could not really detect any change.  I didn't experiment below 1/2.

HiTech

It must take a bit of discipline not to fly the real RV-8 like we all fly AH planes; i.e. do pretty much anything and throw them all over the sky.  Like "drop the throttle to idle in the air and tell us what it sounds like" is probably a really bad idea.  ;)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2015, 09:08:17 PM »
Here's another picture of the Panzer muzzle flash going in the wrong direction.

Offline Shrike

• Copper Member
      • Arabian Knights Official Web Page
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »
There's no sound when firing the 8 inch triples on the cruiser.  I can hear the shell being loaded and locked but no boom. 

When entering and firing the anti-tank guns or the 88's the "boom" sound from the gun fires again when I click "end sortie".  I kind of like this :).

This usually take me back to the tower.  If I alt+tab to the desktop and then alt+tab back into the game the gun fire sound rings 3 more times.  If you alt+tab quickly it will keep firing every time you go back into the game.  I was able to duplicate this 3 times by exiting the game and launching a new instance each time.  Its just the guns that make the big boom sound.

No luck repeating the glowing blue thing I saw yesterday.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:55:52 PM by Shrike »
AKShrike - CO Arabian Knights
USA!!!
http://aksquad.net/
USAF 85-95

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2015, 08:43:59 AM »
Here's another picture of the Panzer muzzle flash going in the wrong direction.

Hey!! I look pretty good in that picture!!!  :rofl

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2015, 09:30:49 AM »
-Disabling Detail causes the airfield diffuse texture to vanish - Surface type data is present for airfield.

-Driving vehicle on Port returns surface type 0.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 09:43:23 AM by Waffle »

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2015, 02:31:49 PM »
-Disabling Detail causes the airfield diffuse texture to vanish - Surface type data is present for airfield.

-Driving vehicle on Port returns surface type 0.

I tried this in ndisles and beta3 at a port.  Clicking Disable Detail goes through a weird multiple state, not just two states.  Starting with normal (Detail not disabled)

L+D, W, L+D, L, W, L, L+D, W, L+D, L, W, L, L+D

where each comma is clicking the Disable Detail button on or off and L+D=normal land with detail, W means just water, no land or detail, and L means normal land (diffuse) without detail.

The case of W is shown in the example image.

Unrelated: bird and hanger work environmental sounds always come from the left speaker no matter what direction I am pointing in game.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2015, 04:11:13 PM »
All of the tanks have an odd internal-like reverb sound that doesn't seem to fit. I also noticed that if you sit at idle the engine sound may disappear, as if you have a limited number of voices (base impulse channels) available and something else is taking the focus for the moment?

I think the volume swing with power settings is a little extreme at the moment.

Shell impact reports are too weak I think, especially for HE.

Otherwise, I like the new direction.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.