Author Topic: Packet Loss  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
Re: Packet Loss
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 05:14:27 PM »
That Ping Plot looks normal.  Although I noted the ALTER.net router in your path which has been a problematic router.

who uses the ALTER.net router?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 06:28:37 PM »
Edit:  Did a full read, only saw OP at first.  I have win 8.1 and I make sure to use the Task Manager to turn off BITS from services, as well as a few others.  There is a "safe" list provided by BlackViper that so far has explained services to shut down.  Also, there are some processes that I shut down, but not necessary to do so.  Everytime I start up the computer some of these services are turned back on ... no matter how I remove or shut them down.  I basically, just set my cpu to sleep to save the settings. 

Sometimes, a "harmless" download will have hidden add-ons that build up without your realization.  It's best to check the Task Manager frequently and notice what processes are running while you are idle.  The manager has a nifty right click feature that will give you feedback for what these services and/ or processes are needed for.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-8-1-service-configurations/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 06:48:07 PM by Chilli »

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2016, 06:46:39 PM »
Ya, I am so frustrated.  Can't keep in the game more than 10 minutes an it crashes. 

I guess I will wait until somebody can take a look at my computer to see if it is at my end.  If not I'm not sure what I will do.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2016, 06:54:22 PM »
Ya, I am so frustrated.  Can't keep in the game more than 10 minutes an it crashes. 

I guess I will wait until somebody can take a look at my computer to see if it is at my end.  If not I'm not sure what I will do.

Sorry, I was a little behind on the post.  Check what I posted before.  Take a few moments to just compare your Task manager to the Black Viper list and notice the "safe" column.  Also, they break it up into 8.1 pro or 8.1 enterprise OS.  You won't see everything that is on the list, but I just about guarantee BITS is there wasting your resources.  It even tells you the only reason you would keep it running.

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2016, 07:12:30 PM »
Thanks Chilli, for your response.  I am running WIN 7.
I've included my lastest PingPlotter image with an IP you suggested.

I will look at the safe list.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 09:15:05 PM »
Now that one looks like crap. The first hop is your router, the second I think is your modem. If the modem is dropping packets everything else will be look bad as well. Call your internet provider and tell them you cant stay connected. Most likely they will have to send someone out to replace your modem.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2016, 09:22:44 PM »
Be sure when you power cycle your cable modem if it has a battery to remove that first, unplug it, wait, plug the modem back in and replace the battery last. If you left the battery in you didn't really cycle it as it never shut off due to the battery keeping it powered.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 02:37:41 AM »
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-configurations/

Jackie,

Above link is the Win 7 list... my bad, I had your OS mixed up with another discussion on upgrade to 10 from 8.1  :headscratch:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 05:21:28 AM »
Thanks Chilli, for your response.  I am running WIN 7.
I've included my lastest PingPlotter image with an IP you suggested.

I will look at the safe list.

Now that is nasty.  It is right at your Internet connection.  You need to get your ISP involved.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Jackle1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 02:55:58 PM »
I have spoken to my internet provider and they see nothing wrong with my modem.  I do have a router attached which may be the issue. 

I have an IT guy coming out to look at my computer for other issues and will get him to help me with this.

Thanks for being patient with me.  I am good at certain things; however computers are not one of them. :rolleyes:

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2016, 06:37:11 PM »
I have spoken to my internet provider and they see nothing wrong with my modem.  I do have a router attached which may be the issue. 

I have an IT guy coming out to look at my computer for other issues and will get him to help me with this.

Thanks for being patient with me.  I am good at certain things; however computers are not one of them. :rolleyes:

Himmm, your cable modem should be in "bridge mode" if you are using a router after it. The cable modem could have its own router as well.
I would suggest plugging your pc Ethernet wire directly to the modem, unplugging all else but your pc.

Did you add the router yourself?

If you need the router because you have more devices than available ports, your cable modem will not do bridge mode, I know that some routers can be used as just a set of ports. I was able to go from modem port to a routers device port, not the modems Ethernet port that would connect to modem. The router had 8 device ports, I plugged modem Ethernet port to 1 of the 8, the other 7 became usable ports. This just added more physical ports, I just had to turn off certain router admin functions, assign a port range. FYI is all.
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64