Author Topic: What did I do?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Excaliber

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
What did I do?
« on: January 02, 2016, 07:29:25 PM »
Updated to Win 10 lately but I cant decide if this may be the result of my problem. about a week ago I tried to log in and I got great frame rates initially. After takeoff from any base the frame rates went to 30 or nill within 30 seconds. There is no change in the vid mem count ...just the frame rate. I do not think windows 10 has anything to do with it but why is the game doing this after the last 15 years of stable connections?  what to check on my system? Or is there a known problem with win10?

Offline Excaliber

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Re: What did I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 07:58:23 PM »
I might add, most of the time my stick settings won't load. The game starts in mouse mode.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 10:05:15 PM »
did you update your vid card drivers for w10?
go into control panel, hardware and see if your stick is identified by windows, do a default calibration, make sure stick buttons work..
w10 supposedly has a lot of new meta data reporting crap, maybe that takes resources while gaming..........

the windows gurus will help better I'm sure......................... ...........
luck
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »
The Windows 10 Nazis will tell you to go back to 7.
Bunch of BS.

I've been using 10 since last July without a hitch.  I think that the folks who are scared to upgrade are getting cheated.
They'll be behind the curve, IMOH.

Just my 2 cents.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:49:08 PM »
If your video drivers came from Microsoft this could happen. Just download known good drivers, remove the bad ones, clean them, install the new ones. All good.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 03:58:42 AM »
@ Excaliber I'm not saying you'd have to, but in case you'd want to: If you did the upgrade less than a month ago, it's easy to roll back to your previous OS. If it's more than a month, a fresh reinstall is the only option. How to e.g. here. Note that you'd still have time to do the free upgrade until July 2016.

@ Coogan I'm not a Windows 10 Nazi. Based on the 30 or so Windows 10 computers I've worked with so far I can tell for sure that not every computer is fully compatible with Win 10. I've even seen one Win 10 nag screen saying that the computer doesn't meet the requirements and still strongly suggesting the user to run the upgrade... And a laptop with a dual video card system which couldn't get the AMD drivers working. The workaround offered by the manufacturer would have been to run the drivers in 8.1 compatibility mode. Not something one would expect from "the best Windows ever"...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:42:38 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 04:17:30 AM »
@ Excalibur I'm not saying you'd have to, but in case you'd want to: If you did the upgrade less than a month ago, it's easy to roll back to your previous OS. If it's more than a month, a fresh reinstall is the only option. How to e.g. here. Note that you'd still have time to do the free upgrade until July 2016.

@ Coogan I'm not a Windows 10 Nazi. Based on the 30 or so Windows 10 computers I've worked with so far I can tell for sure that not every computer is fully compatible with Win 10. I've even seen one Win 10 nag screen saying that the computer doesn't meet the requirements and still strongly suggesting the user to run the upgrade... And a laptop with a dual video card system which couldn't get the AMD drivers working. The workaround offered by the manufacturer would have been to run the drivers in 8.1 compatibility mode. Not something one would expect from "the best Windows ever"...

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh.
It just kinda erks me a little of how afraid people are to go to 10, especially now that it's free.
Some folks still don't understand about the 1 year deal.  They think that they can try it for a year, then have to pay.  A lot of those people are going to wait
too long anyways, then have to buy Window 10 after July, instead of getting it free now.

I hope we don't boycott AH3, just because it's new...

Coogan

{edit for spelling}   :cheers:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:31:02 AM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 05:13:47 AM »
--- It just kinda erks me a little of how afraid people are to go to 10, especially now that it's free.--
There's a reason for it to be free. Microsoft wants the masses to uniform for some reason. I find it very hard to believe that the true reason would be something else than profiting the investors. 

Quote from: 100Coogn
Some folks still don't understand about the 1 year deal.  They think that they can try it for a year, then have to pay.---
That's new to me! Thanks, I'll have to listen to my customers with a keener ear. So far I haven't noticed such erroneous thinking, might also be because of the language.

Quote from: 100Coogn
A lot of those people are going to wait too long anyways, then have to buy Window 10 after July, instead of getting it free now.
Actually, I don't find that a problem for several reasons:
  • No one will lag behind by using 7 or 8 till the end of their supported life span.
  • For the average Joe, any new computer comes with a preinstalled OS of the current flavour.
  • Gamers who change their hardware often wouldn't benefit long from the free upgrade. Supposedly a motherboard change would be considered as a new computer, disabling the possibility to re-activate.
  • By the end of 7 and 8 support lifecycles it'd be time to get a new computer anyway with the best available OS either preinstalled or bought separately, see the two above.
:cheers:
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 05:21:19 AM »
The current map may be the culprit.  This map, for some reason, is very rough on video cards.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 06:14:27 AM »
The Windows 10 Nazis will tell you to go back to 7.
Bunch of BS.

I've been using 10 since last July without a hitch.  I think that the folks who are scared to upgrade are getting cheated.
They'll be behind the curve, IMOH.

Just my 2 cents.

Coogan

There are very rational reasons not to go with Windows 10.

1)  Hardware compatibility.  Windows 10 is not friendly to older hardware.  This has been a real problem for a lot of people.
2)  Telemetry.  Some people really do not care for all the telemetry data Microsoft is gathering about everything they do.  All that gathering can also interfere with the performance of many applications.  They have been adding it to Windows 7 and I have seen it take as much as 15% of the entire computer resources when it runs.  At least, for now, you can remove that from Windows 7.  You cannot remove it from Windows 10.
3)  Applications.  Microsoft is removing applications it does not want people to use on Windows 10.  If you happen to lose an application you like, your only choice is to revert back to your original OS.

Microsoft has said, this is the last version of Windows they are going to release.  From this point on, they are switching to a service based business model.  That means, somewhere down the line they will start charging some type of subscription fee.  When?  No one knows, but it is coming.

It is all about the cloud.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 06:21:04 AM »
There's a reason for it to be free. Microsoft wants the masses to uniform for some reason. I find it very hard to believe that the true reason would be something else than profiting the investors. 
I can see why they want people to uniform to one OS.  They are probably tired of trying to keep older systems up to date.  Vista and all.
'Let's get everyone on the same page' perhaps.

• No one will lag behind by using 7 or 8 till the end of their supported life span.
True, but they will be very dumb coming into 10. (learning curve)

• Gamers who change their hardware often wouldn't benefit long from the free upgrade. Supposedly a motherboard change would be considered as a new computer, disabling the possibility to re-activate.
I strongly disagree with this.  With Directx 12 being only available on Windows 10.  (Mucho gaming improvement) 
The only thing original on my PC is the case.  There's no real problem installing new equipment.  If it's a motherboard, then just give MS a shout and tell the that it's been
changed.  No hassle.

Coogan

Game Id's:

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 06:26:40 AM »
There are very rational reasons not to go with Windows 10.

1)  Hardware compatibility.  Windows 10 is not friendly to older hardware.  This has been a real problem for a lot of people.
2)  Telemetry.  Some people really do not care for all the telemetry data Microsoft is gathering about everything they do.  All that gathering can also interfere with the performance of many applications.  They have been adding it to Windows 7 and I have seen it take as much as 15% of the entire computer resources when it runs.  At least, for now, you can remove that from Windows 7.  You cannot remove it from Windows 10.
3)  Applications.  Microsoft is removing applications it does not want people to use on Windows 10.  If you happen to lose an application you like, your only choice is to revert back to your original OS.

Microsoft has said, this is the last version of Windows they are going to release.  From this point on, they are switching to a service based business model.  That means, somewhere down the line they will start charging some type of subscription fee.  When?  No one knows, but it is coming.

It is all about the cloud.

Thought you was supposed to be on vacation...    :old:

As far as older hardware, I have some dinosaurs of printers.  The 'run in compatibility mode' has been working fine for me.
I honestly see no major issues as of yet.  I don't do banking and all that on my PC, but other than that it's all good.   :uhoh

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 06:36:57 AM »
Thought you was supposed to be on vacation...    :old:

As far as older hardware, I have some dinosaurs of printers.  The 'run in compatibility mode' has been working fine for me.
I honestly see no major issues as of yet.  I don't do banking and all that on my PC, but other than that it's all good.   :uhoh

Coogan

And that is great.  Some people never see any issues, while others are having nightmarish problems.  Just because you are not having issues, does not mean there are not any to be had.  There are tons of reported problems with Windows 10.

Reminds me of the Windows 7 roll out.  It also had a lot of problems in its first year.  There were also those who claimed there were no problems.  It is the same cycle with every Microsoft release.

Windows 10 is more controversial simply due to all the data mining they are doing and how Microsoft intends on distributing that data.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 06:45:35 AM »
And that is great.  Some people never see any issues, while others are having nightmarish problems.  Just because you are not having issues, does not mean there are not any to be had.  There are tons of reported problems with Windows 10.

Reminds me of the Windows 7 roll out.  It also had a lot of problems in its first year.  There were also those who claimed there were no problems.  It is the same cycle with every Microsoft release.

Windows 10 is more controversial simply due to all the data mining they are doing and how Microsoft intends on distributing that data.

Sure it has it's problems, no doubt.
I like to think of Windows 10 as a puppy I'm helping to train
All I can do is hope he don't poop in the house and not to hand him my money.  :)

We're going to have to accept that 10 is here & now.  Might as well bite the bullet and at least give it a shot. 
Not just because it's the new show on the block, but soon to be the only show.
Can always roll back, if necessary.

Coogan

Game Id's:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 06:59:25 AM »
You've been lucky for having no compatibility issues, Coogan. I suppose the majority of those who have upgraded have no issues they'd be aware of. However there's lots of people who do suffer from severe issues.

As for the activation thing, I only know that Microsoft refused to answer to the reporters asking about which hardware can be changed without hassle. The editors suggested that changing a hard disk or video card would cause no problem, but that changing the motherboard might do so especially because changing the mobo usually means a fresh reinstall. At the moment that can be bypassed by reinstalling the original OS and upgrading from there, but what will happen after July?

they will be very dumb coming into 10. (learning curve)
According to Microsoft they won't: "It’s the Windows you know, only better --- Familiar and up to date", "This combines the strengths of Windows 8 with Windows 7." etc. from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features.

A friend of mine works in an internordic household appliance store, mainly in the computer section. He had been on some lecture led by Microsoft spokespersons. What he found kind of disturbing was that the MS folks didn't talk about "updates", they talked about "new versions" instead. Now each "new version" has a new EULA, which will get automatically agreed with every major automatic update. Personally I don't like accepting agreements without having the option to read them first.

Kotisivuni