Author Topic: PSA for VR enthusiasts  (Read 5435 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: PSA for VR enthusiasts
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 07:55:22 AM »
I have ED, and I know DCS has check boxes in the menu for the Rift already too - I was going to ask if it was worth getting a DK2 kit to mess around with since the release date was pushed back again. but after googling that and finding that the kits sold out, and to rebuy one is 1000$+ everywhere, I'll just wait for the retail version I think.

How do you find Aces High is with the DK2 kit in terms of targeting opponents?  Are you able to lock your view such as how you pause in TrackIR in order to get a stable sight picture, or is your head/view always in a bit of motion and you just have to fight that and try and hold as still as possible when shooting, like with TrackIR enabled and on?  Just interested in what you observations are regarding shooting in game specifically, and also how it look sin terms of keeping situational awareness and your head moving around.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:00:24 AM by Gman »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »
I use Opentrack for headtracking the DK2 in AH. Opentrack has fully customizable scales and deadzones. I used to use deadzones with the DK1 to give a stable gunsight view, but I found the DK2 tracking so good I don't bother.

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2016, 02:49:35 PM »
FYI, folks... for those who need to rig up for VR:

Pre-orders for Oculus Ready PCs and Rift Bundles Start February 16

(https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/pre-orders-for-oculus-ready-pcs-and-rift-bundles-start-february-16/

To clarify, these pricing bundles are for the PCs _along with_ an Oculus Rift consumer version headset & Rift peripherals.

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 03:25:34 PM »
To clarify, these pricing bundles are for the PCs _along with_ an Oculus Rift consumer version headset & Rift peripherals.

The PC prices listed on that page do not include a Rift. Just to clarify.

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 03:51:22 PM »
The PC prices listed on that page do not include a Rift. Just to clarify.

That is incorrect, Vulcan.  See this quote from the page I linked above:

"All bundles include an Oculus-certified PC and everything that comes with Rift – the headset, sensor, remote, an Xbox One controller, EVE: Valkyrie Founder’s Pack, and Lucky’s Tale!"

Am I misunderstanding what "include" means?  But thanks for chiming in.

FWIW,
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »
FWIW ---

You're both right - the PCs listed on the page in that link at -  https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/pre-orders-for-oculus-ready-pcs-and-rift-bundles-start-february-16/ -  How can a PC with a 970 for 949$ include the 600$ Rift?  Sorry, not happening - those PCs absolutely do NOT come with the rift headset, all they are is discounted IF you have purchased a rift already or plan to buy it WITH one of these PCs, hence the discount/bundle thing.

However if you click the links to the stores like BestBuy, Amazon, etc - that takes you to this page which does include the rift, but notice the prices are all 500 to 600$ higher than on that first page linked - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/oculus-rift-vr-offer/pcmcat748301736879.c?id=pcmcat748301736879

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 09:27:02 PM »
Am I misunderstanding what "include" means?  But thanks for chiming in.

FWIW,

Somewhat :) 

The page is very confusing, at the top it says:

"We’re also thrilled to announce that starting February 16 at 8am Pacific Time, you can pre-order Oculus Ready PC and Rift bundles from Best Buy, Amazon, and the Microsoft Store, starting at $1499 USD for a limited time only."

So the bundles are not out yet and will start from  $1499.

Then below it says:

"Introducing the first Oculus Ready PCs
Here’s a look at the first Oculus Ready PCs from Asus, Alienware and Dell, with more coming soon:"

So these are not the actual bundles, and they start from $949 (not $1499).

I wasn't having a go at you sorry. It's a terrible web page. I took a while to figure it out - I noticed because some of the deals fell into the "too good to be true" bucket.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2016, 05:21:16 AM »
That's what I was pointing out as well - the page linked doesn't actually show the "bundles", but "only" the PCs that are available in the bundles.  You have to click the various store links to see each stores actual bundle price if you don't already have a rift pre ordered on its own, and want a rift+rift kit included WITH the "rift capable" PCs listed on that first page.   Vulcan is correct, it's horribly designed and worded, and I'll wager they're going to get a lot of orders for that 1000$ PC from people assuming that comes with a rift and kit, and they'll be pretty PO'd when it arrives and it doesn't. 

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 11:23:24 AM »
So what if you JUST want the Rift? I don't want their stupid controllers.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 06:36:28 PM »
So what if you JUST want the Rift? I don't want their stupid controllers.

No option at the moment. But the Rift backorders stretch through to June or July I think. I'm waiting for the plain option as well. Mind you I have a DK2 so am not in a big rush.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »
News just in today - The Vive HTC VR will cost a measly, 799$ USD.  Cough.

I WAS considering buying both it AND the Occulus, but I think I'll catch a pass on the Vive and just buy the rift, as I plan on using it in DCS, more than I'd use the Vive in Elite Dangerous.  Elite will likely support the Occulus as well they said anyway, they are just focusing and further along with the HTC unit.

Heh, people went berserk on the net over the Rift pricing - monday should be good for some humor on various gaming channels regarding the Vive being 200$ more - the article does say due to the controllers it comes with and needs the price is justified, but the games they show, all 12 of them, don't impress me much, other than Elite.  Also, 800$ is approaching the price of an entire gaming PC with a 6600k and a 970, for only a couple hundred more. 

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-htc-vive-will-cost-799/

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2016, 07:08:51 PM »
HTC had set that expectation for their pricing (in fact higher I think).

I play elite on my Rift DK2, it is awesome (and Horizons).

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »
I think in absolute terms, you're spot on, Terry---in fact, you may actually be understating its true value. 

Think of it this way: the consumer Rift has dual hi-rez OLED screens: >1080p resolution/per eye with built-in 3D capability (no special glasses need), built-in 6 DOF head tracking (like TrackIR but built in), which means it's literally like having a seamless sphere of monitors around you that immerse you in whatever game you're in, so not just a dome (and it's done without screen bevels).  It has a built-in high-quality DAC/sound system & removable headphones for spacial positioned, head-relative audio (if something makes a sound behind you, it will sound like its behind you, not just stereo).

So, how many 3D capable 22"-24" (or larger) OLED monitors would it take to create a sphere around a person, at say $225-$250/screen?  How many decent video cards would be needed to connect up a sphere of screens to a computer (not to mention cables).  Add the cost of a TrackIR unit, a decent pair of headphones, a DAC, 3D shutter glasses (which the Rift doesn't need) to get 3D on all those monitors, and then the price of bundled games that will come included in the price of the Rift.  If someone were going to build a simpit with all that, yeah, it would be an unholy cost.  But a Rift allows you to get all that for the price of a cheap 3-monitor set-up.  It's probably a fair assessment to call it a bargain, even at $599.

But most folks think of the price in relative terms and it seems steep because Oculus didn't manage people's expectations enough.  The dev kits were sold very cheaply (probably below cost) and there was a general expectation in the VR community that it would be a sub $500 (USD) price point.  The balking comes in because folk weren't adequately prepared by Oculus for that higher price.  It's basically sticker shock. Most people working hard to make a living or who have to justify a big cost to themselves, their wives or parents, will see that price and groan and despair at that expense.

It's a matter of perspective I suppose, and I'm trying to be objective here, because I'm one of those who is groaning right now. 

FWIW,

You get a commission?  :)