Author Topic: PSA for VR enthusiasts  (Read 5529 times)

Offline fracca

• Zinc Member
Re: PSA for VR enthusiasts
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 06:36:38 PM »
Always happy to answer questions, VR has fascinated me since i was a kid.
Colonic

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 08:12:40 PM »
Dam. I shoulda saved the coin I used to by the Ice tea maker and bought the Rift instead.  :old:
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 09:53:49 PM »
Google has failed me, so I'll ask here.  I had assumed it was so but is Rift's head tracking scalable like TrackIR?  I had assumed so but if it's locked 1:1, that kind of kills my interest quite a bit.

Wiley.

Yes, you use OpenTrack to emulate trackir inputs - and it is scalable. I have mine running at 120:180 (ie 120 degrees gives a 180 degree input).

I can play AH for hours on end, no VR sickness. So the experience will vary from person to person. That said I have great sealegs (when I was young I used to kayak in storms for fun), never get sick on violent flights (usually fall asleep), and I've been playing AH in VR for around 10 or so years. If you're a pansy who cannot handle a childrens rollecoaster VR is not for you  :devil

One of the more interesting things you come (as mentioned before) is the size of the cockpits. Even in fighters you notice the cramped cockpits (spitfire) versus ones where you can really move your head around (typhoon).

This is AH on the Rift DK1, I had issues with the tracking as NZ has some funky magnetic stuff going on, so I augmented the tracking with a Hydra. The tracking in the DK2 is way better (uses motion/magnetics/optical).

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:57:18 PM by Vulcan »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 12:54:27 AM »
Dam. I shoulda saved the coin I used to by the Ice tea maker and bought the Rift instead.  :old:

VR is the future
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 01:10:28 AM »
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 02:10:41 AM »
Yes!

They will sore eyes looking for my money!

I could give it to the banks.

I would rather burn it!

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 08:07:21 AM »
This might be a really stupid question, but when you put this on your head, do you just see one image, or two like in the videos posted? I don't like trackir but this thing looks really cool.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline fracca

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 08:23:49 AM »
This might be a really stupid question, but when you put this on your head, do you just see one image, or two like in the videos posted? I don't like trackir but this thing looks really cool.

Two images, however it depends on the application whether they are different or not. Elite and DCS are Oculus designed, so what you get there is true native 3d, two seperate images that come together to create depth. Forget 3d cinema or tv, with the rift you get (by a huge margin) the best and most useable 3d ive ever seen. Nothing comes close to the depth of view, (see my comment about having to refocus on objects different distances away).

Older games like AH require a different approach. You can either leave it 2d, which is a bit like having 1:1 trackir and a moniter strapped to your face. Its pretty good (simply for the amazing head tracking), but everything is in 2d, or you can use 3rd party injectors like tridef to convert to 3d. Injecting is an artform in itself and takes a lot of trial and error. (And a lot of crossed eyes while youre getting the settings right).

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I heard Nvidia (and therefore by default AMD shortly after) were making big plans (and nvidia at least were in alpha) for native injectors built into their drivers.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 08:39:04 AM by fracca »
Colonic

Offline burnerski

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »
I realize I'm late to the party and don't feel like searching. I have Oculus dk2 and V1 on order. Is Aces High planning on supporting Oculus VR? I like Aces High, I just can't go back to a flat screen.

R/
Daniel

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »
Yes, you use OpenTrack to emulate trackir inputs - and it is scalable. I have mine running at 120:180 (ie 120 degrees gives a 180 degree input).

Obliged, Vulcan.  Thanks for the info.  I think my curve would likely be 1:1 until I get to about 90 degrees from front, then I'm going to want some scaling.

Going to be a while before I get one though in any case.  Price will likely come down a fair bit.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »

There is essentially a screen for each eye, but you see one image. When we say it is 2D then we mean screens each eye sees have the same image. For 3D a slightly different image is rendered for each eye representing how the real world works for you. With this type of setup and games you can adjust how the 3D appears. In the real world the 3Dness of what we see is tied to things like how far apart your eyes are (IPD), you can adjust this.  It makes the 3D more enjoyable, whereas as 3D movies have a fixed pre-rendered IPD.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016, 10:09:08 AM »
This is just sooooooo enticing!   :x

Vulcan, do you think there might be any advantage to waiting for version 1.01 and the inevitable bug fixes?

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 02:40:04 PM »
This is just sooooooo enticing!   :x

Vulcan, do you think there might be any advantage to waiting for version 1.01 and the inevitable bug fixes?

The dev cycle has been fairly long - I'd expect most have been ironed out.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »
Vulcan, kinda obvious question I guess, but does the Rift/Vive/etc get it's performance from the GPU in the PC?  IE faster video card = better Rift FPS/performance? 

Also, I assume you can't see outside of that thing on your noodle when you're using it, is that correct?  Does this make having a monitor essentially useless for games that use VR headsets?  Also, for games that require a ton of keypresses, say like DCS, or even AH, can you see the keyboard through the bottom of the headset or is it a touch/feel type of deal for typing. 

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 05:37:30 PM »
Vulcan, kinda obvious question I guess, but does the Rift/Vive/etc get it's performance from the GPU in the PC?  IE faster video card = better Rift FPS/performance? 

Also, I assume you can't see outside of that thing on your noodle when you're using it, is that correct?  Does this make having a monitor essentially useless for games that use VR headsets?  Also, for games that require a ton of keypresses, say like DCS, or even AH, can you see the keyboard through the bottom of the headset or is it a touch/feel type of deal for typing.

Yes. The Rift and Vive are basically displays + head tracking. Faster PC = better experience. On the Rift they are pushing for a GTX970 as a minimum.

That said for the Rift they are pushing low persistence, which makes a huge difference for people who get motion sickness. To get good low persistence you need high fps (might be worth a google for a read up).

In AH I rarely need to look at my keyboard, everything is on HOTAS/Vox. The only issues I have is AH displays vox talkers in the screen corners, which I cannot see. Same goes for FSX, DCS, etc.

Remember with the head tracking you free up your view Hat for other uses.

New games coming out are being built with this in mind, if you ever try Elite Dangerous on a Rift you'll see what I mean.