Author Topic: Gauge Malfunction  (Read 902 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Gauge Malfunction
« on: January 07, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »
How about some random gauge malfunctions, when certain areas of the cockpit, or various controls are hit.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline puller

• Gold Member
Re: Gauge Malfunction
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 02:16:56 PM »
The gauges in the LA can get shot out.....POOOFFF!!!!!  Wish granted... :devil

And random gauge malfunction would cause just as much whine as having random engine failure...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 02:28:13 PM »
The gauges in the LA can get shot out.....POOOFFF!!!!!  Wish granted... :devil

And random gauge malfunction would cause just as much whine as having random engine failure...

I don't mean random, as they stop working for no reason.  It would have to take a hit in an area that controls a particular gauge.
Just think if you're milk-running after losing your fuel gauge, or even the entire E6B.  I think that would make the cheese a little more binding...

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 12:47:47 AM »
just dont look at them.  I never look at mine.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 06:15:12 PM »
My gauges stop working right after they get splatted with all that red goo from the pilot hit.   

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 08:20:44 AM »
Just think if you're milk-running after losing your fuel gauge, or even the entire E6B.

The E6B is a mechanical, hand-held, device.  It would take a very, very specific hit to take it out.  If you lost your fuel gauge, it would be harder to use the E6B to make the calculations.

Maybe some real pilots could sound off on this, and we could learn something about fuel and distance calculations.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 12:45:22 AM »
I do most of my calculations mentally. 

It is amazingly accurate to SWAG. 

Take away my airspeed indicator I revert to fuel flow to give me an estimate (Pitch, Power, Performance -- based on configuration).

Haven't touched an E6B in a long time but in essence it is just a glorified ruler.  You can interpolate off the top of your head and get really close to what that thing will tell you.   Or you can try algebra on paper. 

One can live without instruments and gauges unless you're in IMC or over the NAT Tracks at night. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:47:51 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 12:57:50 AM »
I do most of my calculations mentally. 

It is amazingly accurate to SWAG. 

Take away my airspeed indicator I revert to fuel flow to give me an estimate (Pitch, Power, Performance -- based on configuration).

Haven't touched an E6B in a long time but in essence it is just a glorified ruler.  You can interpolate off the top of your head and get really close to what that thing will tell you.   Or you can try algebra on paper. 

One can live without instruments and gauges unless you're in IMC or over the NAT Tracks at night.

I don't know.  It sounds like some people can't go without them.

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »
I don't know.  It sounds like some people can't go without them.

Coogan

Some, meaning a very few. I'd money that a vast majority of players don't even look at the gauges. "gamers" use muscle memory type moves... when target is at "A" do "B" and so on. Look at how many lawndarts you see, you know they aren't looking.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
Some, meaning a very few. I'd money that a vast majority of players don't even look at the gauges. "gamers" use muscle memory type moves... when target is at "A" do "B" and so on. Look at how many lawndarts you see, you know they aren't looking.

Good point.  I have seen a lot of guys give way to gravity...  :rofl

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 12:07:58 PM »

When you first learn to fly you're somewhat dependent on the gauges since you are clueless about what things should "look and feel like" for each aspect of flight such as the correct attitude for a normal climb or descent.  As you gain experience you find that the gauges become more of a cross check on what you "feel" is happening - even the sounds the airplane makes can be used to judge performance.  When working into short bush fields I flew by feel.  The airplane will tell you what is happening if you pay attention.  A glance at the airspeed indicator and VSI would confirm (usually  :devil ) what I thought was going on.  This worked for the airplanes I have flown from Cessnas up to the B-17 and B-24.  That being said there are some numbers you comply with such as minimum safe speeds with engine out, gear and flap extension speeds, etc. 
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »
When you first learn to fly you're somewhat dependent on the gauges since you are clueless about what things should "look and feel like" for each aspect of flight such as the correct attitude for a normal climb or descent.  As you gain experience you find that the gauges become more of a cross check on what you "feel" is happening - even the sounds the airplane makes can be used to judge performance.  When working into short bush fields I flew by feel.  The airplane will tell you what is happening if you pay attention.  A glance at the airspeed indicator and VSI would confirm (usually  :devil ) what I thought was going on.  This worked for the airplanes I have flown from Cessnas up to the B-17 and B-24.  That being said there are some numbers you comply with such as minimum safe speeds with engine out, gear and flap extension speeds, etc.

I taught all my students how to "fly the nose" -- they didn't need to look inside.   That was by design.  I also beat them up under the hood but that was for a different purpose.   I didn't want them flying into the ground because they're staring at the airspeed indicator.  It produced good results. 

You're dead on about sound and feel.  Even in jets things learned in 152s still apply.  I can tell what my thrust setting is within a percent or two just by where my hand is on the Thrust Levers.   Stuff like that. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:34:31 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
amen vraciu, I have never flown a real airplane but I can fly in ah without having to look at the gauges.  to me it's irrelevant to know my speed or anything, it's more like I want to know the speed of the other guy.  that's the important thing.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 10:03:01 PM »
amen vraciu, I have never flown a real airplane but I can fly in ah without having to look at the gauges.  to me it's irrelevant to know my speed or anything, it's more like I want to know the speed of the other guy.  that's the important thing.

semp
Then why did this wish ruffle your feathers, if you don't even use them.
You could of just read this post and kicked rocks...  No need to flame it.

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 06:11:35 AM »
  The E6B is a mechanical, hand-held, device.  It would take a very, very specific hit to take it out.  If you lost your fuel gauge, it would be harder to use the E6B to make the calculations.

Maybe some real pilots could sound off on this, and we could learn something about fuel and distance calculations.
:airplane: Good question Mongoose, but there are so many variables in real life, which are not included in this game, it would almost be impossible to be accurate! Fuel flow management for example, there are no "fuel mixture" controls on any of these a/c in the game!
but, to maybe add to the discussion; first, how much fuel do I have on board? second, how far can I go on the fuel I have? third, what is the distance to where I need to go! forth, what is my ground speed? The true a/s in this game only gives you the "standard" atmosphere ingredients, 29.92 barometric pressure, 59 degrees temperature, with zero wind! Of course those are based on "sea level" conditions, not conditions at say, 10,000 feet. Of course you could use the standard temperature lapse to 10K, 3.5 degrees per thousand feet, but do I have a tail wind, a head wind or wind from any direction which would affect the amount of time you have aloft. Do you have a "high time " engine, which usually has a higher burn rate than one of low time. Now, you throw in the changing weather conditions, i.e., flying from low pressure area to high pressure area, change in temperature, now the increased airspeed because of weight reduction because of fuel burn!
As you can see, it is a very difficult task to do as you ask! As in real life, all the above are based on "estimates" and what actually happens is usually two different values!
When I use to "ferry" bought and sold, used aircraft, I had a rule: 1 hour reserve, plus 45 minutes, unless it was a single engine light aircraft, which it really was never a problem. The problem came with heavy multi engine aircraft in instrument flight conditions, then you have to be able to come up with some kind of estimate or bend over and kiss your A++ goodbye!   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:13:06 AM by earl1937 »
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!