Author Topic: Patch 91  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Patch 91
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2016, 04:42:34 AM »
I've been making a B-29 skin with the alpha skin viewer and have noticed a couple of odd things with the shape.

First the bump/normal mapping appears to be reversed on the LH vertical stab. I have deliberately overdone the fabric stitching bump effect to illustrate the point. On both screenshots the light is coming from above the aircraft and on the RH side the fabric stitching appears as a raised effect (highlight above shadow) like it should. However on the RH side the effect is reversed giving the appearance of sunken lines. I suspect this is something to do with how the LH panel is reversed on the bmp to save space.

Also the two RH propellers appear partly transparent in the alpha skin viewer, although they are fine in the game itself.

I noticed a sound issue in the game as well when I hit a tree and lost the lead aircraft of a formation of B-29s. I was in external view at the time and prior to the crash could clearly hear the sounds from the lead aircraft. After the crash, when the game jumped me to the second B-29, I got no sounds from that aircraft but could still hear sounds from the third B-29. When I changed back to cockpit view the sounds from my aircraft came back, but they were still missing in external view after that.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »
I wasn't hearing the clock ticking so I played with my device selection and got it back. Now I'm hearing hit sounds as well as the environment sounds.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
Greeb can you post your Normal Map?

HiTech

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2016, 11:11:01 AM »
On the side of the Vert Stab / Rudder that you had to invert the text / markings - copy your final gray-scale height image and invert it in the places that the normal is backwards / mirrored - then run normal map maker. You should then get the same results on each side.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »
"Sound" familiar?   :bolt:

Bustr,

I also have Nvidia GTX video cards and periodically have that stuck in the mud problem.  You may not have wasted time at all (at least in my case, you give me hope to find a remedy).  It may very well be conflict with some hidden Nvidia coad, as I recall the "Nvidia Experience" bloatware is loaded every time that I update my driver, and no matter if I do custom install to avoid this.

Uninstalling the PhysX app seems to have speeded my PC up, and so far the Hi Def Audio device has not tried to re-install itself, and no more strange key glitches once in awhile. Wonder how many players with NVIDIA HD capable cards are using an HD TV and HDMI cable but not the TV speakers who have occasional strange keyboard key glitch's?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »
I can work round the bug no problem if you aren't going to alter the shape. The normal file for the skin is attached as requested, note I have reduced the fabric stitching strip effect now.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2016, 03:06:02 PM »
It's not a bug, it's in the shape. When the UVs were mapped, if the parts UV was mirrored, the normal map will be inverted. The only fix is to alter the UV mapping on the shape, which would be a lot of work, first modifying the shape, then modifying all of the textures to match.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2016, 03:22:42 PM »
Uninstalling the PhysX app seems to have speeded my PC up, and so far the Hi Def Audio device has not tried to re-install itself, and no more strange key glitches once in awhile. Wonder how many players with NVIDIA HD capable cards are using an HD TV and HDMI cable but not the TV speakers who have occasional strange keyboard key glitch's?

There are two things going on here; both of these things you can fix if you change the way you install your drivers. First, never do a custom install. Instead, allow the installer to add everything, then uninstall the things you don't want (3D Vision for instance) if you like. Go into your device manager and disable the Nvidia audio if you use a dedicated sound card, for instance. I leave this installed to prevent Microsoft from slipping in an update and messing everything, so disabling works better for me.

The PhysX function is not needed for Aces High, but you can modify the affect it has upon your system performance by going into the Nvidia Control Panel under "Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX" and changing the processor from CPU to GPU, or by your choice.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.