Author Topic: 2 windows 10 tips  (Read 679 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
2 windows 10 tips
« on: January 11, 2016, 12:31:13 AM »
2 windows 10 tips.

First, if your win10 machine can't access pre-win7 file shares (winXP, windows home server, some linux or NAS versions), go here:

https://www.schkerke.com/wps/2015/06/windows-10-unable-to-connect-to-samba-shares/

The original response doesn't seem to be a complete answer, but down in the comments is the actual solution:

There is a setting in windows Local Security Policy which is incorrectly set by default for viewing an older communication protocol NAS.
To access said setting go to the control panel in Windows 10 (or 7), in Category view click on the text “System and Security”, then click on the text “Administrative Tools”.
Now double click and open “Local Security Policy”.
In the Local Security Policy screen on the left navigation tree, expand the “Local Policies –> Security Options” then about 2/3rd’s the way down the list you’ll see a Policy called “Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level”. Double click and change the setting to be “Send LM & NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.”
Then just press OK and close all of the open windows and then try again

In the case of Windows 10 Home, Local Security Policy does not exist (thanks microsoft); therefore make the change in the registry (use regedit).
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\LSA
Add:
LMCompatibilityLevel
Value Type: REG_DWORD – Number (32 bit, hexadecimal)
Valid Range 0-5
Default: 0, Set to 1 (Use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated)
Description: This parameter specifies the type of authentication to be used.

Basically, microsoft failed to set a critical security setting (it is set to null by default), and it needs to be set to something in order to connect to winXP or windows home server file shares.  Easy fix, stupidly hard to find though.

Second, if you have a laptop or tablet that can't get through the windows 10 version 1511 update, it may because you have an SD card installed.  To get the windows 10 1511 update to install correctly, you must remove the SD card before starting the update process.  If the update has failed and no longer shows as an available update, you will need to go to the windows 10 upgrade page and re-run the windows 10 installer.  It will recognize that you already have win10 installed, and will patch it to version 1511.  The critical point is to have the SD card removed throughout the entire update process.  If you are like me and have moved user files to the SD card, don't worry, it worked ok for me when I popped the SD card out right before running the installer, and put it back in before logging in after the update was complete.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: 2 windows 10 tips
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
I also have updated my tips for ridding Windows 7/8 computers of the Microsoft nagware.

Yes, I consider this a Windows 10 tip. :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:15:55 AM »
Yup.  My wife doesn't have time to fight stupid compatibility issues and I'm not going to put her thru the hassle of having to click a large menu every single time she opens a web browser that isn't edge, so she's still using windows 7.

Some nagging device driver issues, all my backup processes being made obsolete by an "upgrade", and the Microsoft edge annoyware are my main win10 problems.  Seems webcams are particularly troublesome under windows 10, and I have a laptop and a bog-standard Logitech pro webcam that simply don't work under win10 due to drivers.  I'm patiently waiting for the laptop webcam driver to get released but I may lose patience and have to hunt down a hacked driver or learn how to hack a windows 8 driver to work under windows 10.

*rant*

To a certain extent, it's becoming clear that several hardware manufacturers are using win10 as an excuse to deny support for their existing HARDWARE, by simply failing to release one or two critical drivers like a built-in laptop webcam.  Maybe it makes sense to the marketing jerks but its the fastest way to zero out brand loyalty.  I'm on my third thinkpad and LOVE them, but Lenovo has refused to release a win10 driver for their older webcams.  The entire rest of my T420s works including (finally) the somewhat buggy USB 3.0 port, but the webcam has no driver.  Apparently Lenovo thinks I'm supposed to buy another $2000 Lenovo laptop because a $25 webcam doesn't work?  Yea right, next time I'm getting a MS surface pro for 2/3 the price.  Bye bye Lenovo for getting just a bit too greedy.  And of course Linux MINT works flawlessly on the T420s including the webcam, so Linux plus wine (or current equivalent or maybe even winXP in a VM) just may end up on the laptop for no reason other than Lenovo wouldn't release a driver for a $25 webcam.  Cheap loss for MS and Lenovo at that point, but the of course don't care about losing one customer.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:33 AM »
I turned off the DNS Client service and the Edge and Store annoyware shutup immediately. They just cannot find the Internet. Meanwhile everything else is working fine.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 08:54:16 PM »
I also have updated my tips for ridding Windows 7/8 computers of the Microsoft nagware.

Yes, I consider this a Windows 10 tip. :)

Best tip ever: if you have a PC that runs Win 7 64-bit flawlessly, don't install Windows 10!

The next PC I build will obviously have Windows 10 (unless I give up flight simming and go LINUX or heaven forbid become a MAC user). But none of my current sims/games utilize DX12, so I can't see any reason to give in to Microsoft's desire to convert all PCs. I do need to read your anti-nag tips. I am cursed at home and at work by these damn intruders!
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!