Author Topic: CraterMA  (Read 10658 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
CraterMA
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:56:38 AM »
I have been busy converting CraterMA to AH III format and the current version is attached to this post. I'd be interested to hear players' ideas and opinions, good or bad, on the map. Also any framerate issues, rock textures seem to cause slow downs in the game and there are quite a lot of those on this map.

To use the map navigate to your beta folder and put the file craterma.res in the ahterr folder. Then create the folder chconfig/craterma and put the files craterma.awa and craterma overcast.awa in it. The craterma.awa file is the default weather system which has a number of isolated weather fronts scattered across the map while craterma overcast.awa is an alternative system with a single overcast layer across the whole map. You can access this by typing ".sweath craterma overcast" into the radio bar.

I have made some changes to the map from the AH II version:

1. Moved the spawn points a little closer to the fields, they were about 3.25 miles before, now they are mostly 3 miles out.

2. Moved most of the strats nearer to the coast and each one close to a V base. The idea is to give each of the strats some radar coverage. Also all the strats bar the city are within reach of the outer spawn routes running across the map. Maybe the chance of blowing up a factory or some trains might tempt a few GVers out of TT now and again.

3. Changed some of the airfields to the new super large type. The starting position for the map now has a choice of two small, one mid and one super large airfield per front line, rather than all small fields. Possibly the large fields might get bypassed by attackers.

4. Changed some of the small V bases to the new larger type.

5. Added five of the new flak bases per side. There are two flanking each HQ and city, plus one per side in tank town. These bases are all uncapturable and online only the Fi 156 can up from one. I did some offline tests for this arrangement by running a set of Lancs over the city and HQ with their four flak bases. It took four passes before I lost a plane and prior to that I was only hit one other time. If you want to duplicate this I have left a bomber spawn active for testing, which is accessed by selecting the SE spawn button at A1. Adding these 15 extra bases will increase the online map win requirement from 7 enemy fields per side to 8.

6. Revised the field layout in tank town. This was necessary since AH III has a new restriction on how fields can be spaced. Also I didn't like the way players were climbing the canyon walls to overlook everyone so I have bordered the fighting area with water this time.

There are currently no roads or railways etc on the map, since HTC hasn't done those yet. I am hoping to be able to incorporate the forthcoming river supply routes and bridges into GV spawn routes and tank town, which should add something a bit different to the map.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:49:39 AM by Greebo »

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: CraterMA
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:27:11 AM »
Will give it a go this afternoon.

Only comment from your post is reduction of the number of small bases.  Small bases are the main stay of base capture attempts.  Not saying the reduction of small bases is bad on your map revision.  That remains to be seen.  It probably is perfect.  Just suggesting for map makers to keep in mind reducing small bases too much can have a negative impact on the game.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
Greebo, are you sure about where to unzip the files?

In the Beta there's a folder named "ah3terr" containing the .res files for other terrains without any subfolders. I put the .res file there and it showed up correctly in the Choose Terrain list.

Also the "chconfig" folder already exists, no need to create it. A subfolder named "craterma" with the .awa files was what I did.

In the instructions you talk about "overcast.awa" but in the zip package it's "craterma overcast.awa". Which one is correct?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »
Sorry don't know what I was thinking there. Thanks for the correction, I have edited the original post with the correct procedure for installation.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 12:01:48 PM »
Will give it a go this afternoon.

Only comment from your post is reduction of the number of small bases.  Small bases are the main stay of base capture attempts.  Not saying the reduction of small bases is bad on your map revision.  That remains to be seen.  It probably is perfect.  Just suggesting for map makers to keep in mind reducing small bases too much can have a negative impact on the game.

The original layout was an outer ring of small bases, a ring of medium bases and a core of big bases for each side. However because only 20% of bases are needed to win the war, the bigger bases rarely see any action. With the new layout I am hoping to inject a bit more variety. The very large airbases are going to be quite interesting, lots of AA,  four miles square rather than one, with a stream that needs to be crossed to get access to the built-in town. If I'd stuck these at the rear of the map they would never have got used. Maybe I'll make one of the middle ring of fields into a small field to compensate.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:06:58 PM by Greebo »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 12:14:36 PM »
Greebo, just double checking if you know that putting the awa file in your ah3terr/craterma folder and then build, it will be the default off line and online for the terrain.

HiTech

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 12:17:20 PM »
Thanks, I didn't know that. Learn something new every day.  :)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »
Greebo,

WOW................... :O

This terrain is youtube advertisement worthy.

When I exited the arena, my game froze for about 15 seconds, then gave me the splash screen.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 03:22:52 PM »
Greebo:

I am amazed at your talent for creating realistic looking topography from scratch (i.e. not from actual DEM topography).  It looks so natural.  I spawned a Jeep from V102 and drove SW into the mountains.  I felt like I was driving up the eastern face of the Sierras.  Instead of lots of AH terrains where it just looks like you could drive anywhere you want, when I look at yours I see pathways I want to take: around that draw there, towards that saddle point there, etc.  It looks so natural.  As I headed to the high saddle point I felt I was in the Eastern Sierras.  The only thing missing was alpine lakes in the low points.  Really superior work.

The shadows of the clouds moving across the ground look cool and really add to the immersion.  However, the immersion is kinda killed when the shadows suddenly jump position periodically (like every 10 or 20 seconds).  I know it's not your fault, I'm just pointing out a limitation of the implementation.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 03:49:12 PM »
Greebo:
The shadows of the clouds moving across the ground look cool and really add to the immersion.  However, the immersion is kinda killed when the shadows suddenly jump position periodically (like every 10 or 20 seconds).  I know it's not your fault, I'm just pointing out a limitation of the implementation.

That would be a bug.

HiTech

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 03:53:34 PM »
Very nice work Greebo. 

I did the same as 715 suggested, grabbed a jeep and headed SW out of V102, up into the mountains.   Made me wish that there was an 'exit vehicle' command where you can get out of the jeep, move around and then get back in later.   I wanted to set up a tent and camp!

I also took a 262 and chased clouds, flew in and around them and then flew into the caldera area and did not notice any frame rate problems, in the clouds or flying near the mountains rock faces (or while jeeping over the rocks on the ground, for that matter).

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 03:56:53 PM »
Any chance you guys could post up a nice screenshot?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 04:54:52 PM »
Ran offline, steady framerates everywhere, 59-60. Beautiful job! Dxdiag attached, would a 64 bit dxdiag help at all?
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »
Here's me pausing for a photo-op on my Jeep trip into the Sierras, a few miles out of V102.   Its very cool how the ambient lighting changes as the clouds drift in front of the sun.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 05:29:36 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you like it. The texture painting tools in the TE made it easy to do things like globally apply snow only at specific altitudes and angles of slope. There was still a fair bit of hand editing needed though.

Thanks for the FPS report Copprhed. Your system is fairly similar to mine and would probably get rates of 80-90 with a fast enough monitor. I don't think the 64 bit DxDiag matters, for this purpose its really just a question of which video card, CPU and how much memory the system has really.

Any particular size of screenshot suit you best Skuzzy?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:31:23 PM by Greebo »