Author Topic: finding the main arena  (Read 649 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
finding the main arena
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:30:39 AM »
I find the area tabs to be problematic. After not updating the alpha/beta for a while I thought that the MA was down since I could only see mission arenas on the list. Only a post on the forum made me realize that there were tabs for area selection.... I think that others may miss this feature and new players may start the game and only see mission arenas with a handful of players in each, and think this is a dead game.

I suggest that the tabs be made A LOT more conspicuous. Also, borrowing from the hanagr plane roster, start the area selection on an "all" tab where one can scroll through all the arenas - and make sure that the MA is at the top (or perhaps sort by population).
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: finding the main arena
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 07:00:59 AM »
I agree, having more clear tabs will go a long way in populating the beta arena.  Those around when the AH2 beta was on will remember that it was often more full than the MA at that time due to all the "buzz".  The drift many are getting is that the beta is "dead" due to only finding one or two players in the first tabs displayed, myself included, which IMO will kill a lot of that "buzz" which certainly around during the AH2 beta. 

Also, perhaps clarification/explanation as to what the game is going to "be" in the future when released - having read many statements by those working on the alpha to the tune of "the MA type of game play may not even be the focus of the new game, as there is a "hook" designed to bring new players into the AH experience" and that "the gameplay may undergo fundamental changes" - what exactly did/does that mean?  Is the MA going to be a hybrid type arena with parts of the AI aircraft arenas in the beta now combined into the melee arena?  It's no longer early days, I know a lot of players with a lot of questions as to what the game is going to be.  Myself I'll be happy with the regular type of MA game with the new stuff, but again, I've read and been told more than once that this may not be how things will be, and I'm not the only one with questions as to what the future holds at this point into beta.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:05:13 AM by Gman »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:24:40 AM »
I suggest that the tabs be made A LOT more conspicuous.

And make the Melee arena the default, rather than the Mission arena.

- oldman

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:34:02 AM »
To put this simply, Melee Arena  (MA) same as now in AH2.  The other arenas are an opportunity to do something different.  Just added variety.

Game play however will be up to the players.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see the main arenas get their own tab in front of the others when the main arenas are added.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 12:54:46 PM »
The big problem with all the different types of arenas here will be getting enough people into each to keep the viable and encourage others to join. I'm interested to see how they pull that off and if burying the melee arena is part of the strategy. Lets just hope it doesn't backfire.

You can add my dumb self to the list of people who didn't figure out the tabs for awhile. Thankfully I was always planning on spending more than 2 weeks here.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 01:40:19 PM »
To put this simply, Melee Arena  (MA) same as now in AH2.  The other arenas are an opportunity to do something different.  Just added variety.

Game play however will be up to the players.

I agree that's what's in the beta right NOW, but wasn't what HTC had said to some of those involved early in the creation process.  Saying gameplay will be up to the players around  here is pretty funny - if that was the case there would be a lot less complaining threads in general...or perhaps even more depending how you look at it.  Suffice it to say HTC has typically kept its own council on making even the smallest adjustments to gameplay, saying that the players are going to decide it isn't a realistic assessment of the future IMO.  Maybe you meant "arena choice" will be up to the players, but that's my point/question, what exactly are the arenas going to be like, particularly the big show, the MA?

As I said, myself I think the original concept of the MA works great, and it's what I personally like, but again, that isn't what HTC had said was might happen with the new game.  All  I'm asking for is clarification as to what the MA/main focus/1.0 version of the new game/etc is going to be all about.  Is there going to be AI or "Combat tour" like activity in the MA, or will it remain as it is pretty much now in the AH2 MA arena, etc.  I guess the bottom line question I'm asking is what is the primary focus of the MA game going to be?  Regarding changing the fundamentals of how the MA game is played, is that still in the cards, if so is it going to be a slow process over the long haul, or are rapid changes to the MA coming once the beta is stable and ready for replacing the current game?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »
I like the idea of more conspicuous tabs.  :aok  How about text turns red or green, if it is currently occupied (like with the end sortie clipboard safe).

I figured that folks were missing the tabs options, as I would log in and find most number of players involved in missions arenas.  That in itself is not a problem, with the exception of trying to help someone quickly before they get whisked away into a mission in another country.

The bright side in not having melee (MA) as default screen is the boost in numbers that actually try something different.