Author Topic: Size of the trees  (Read 493 times)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
Size of the trees
« on: January 27, 2016, 03:29:18 PM »
The new beta airfields and the terrain in general gives a much improved sense of height compared to AHII which is excellent. However, the size of the trees makes the buildings look dwarfed and tends to dampen the otherwise good sense of altitude.

I made a rough measurement by noting the elevation/altitude from the digital altimeter on take off and while trimming the top branches of the highest tree type (seem to be a species of pine) found in CraterMA. Those are roughly 200ft tall. Pretty huge pine trees! There are pines that are even taller but the vast majority in most places where pines grow, are much much smaller. When looking at the common species, the current tall pine even half-scaled would still be a very big tree at roughly 100ft. The other tree types look overly big as well.

It would really help the sensation of altitude further, would make judging distances easier and make the world overall look more realistic if the trees would be scaled down in size.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Size of the trees
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 03:46:00 PM »
Aren't the trees all specific species with correct heights?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 05:02:10 PM »
The target can be used to measure almost anything in Aces High, each ring is 10ft.

It is a "conifer tree" module from Speed Tree. I believe Hitech has already said you are free to donate SpeedTree modules to the cause. Only $49.00 a module will grant your wish.

https://store.speedtree.com/product-category/visual_effects/trees/trees-individual-trees-conifers/

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:05:53 PM »
We have access to all their trees, no additional cost.

HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »
Wish granted Wmaker at lest HTC having the modules.

I hope in the future we might be able to swap out those 160ft tall pine forests for say 20-50ft mixed traditional triangular cross section pines as an update to the terrain editor. Or a tool you can choose a terrain tile type to be replaced en masse with another tile type.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »
Aren't the trees all specific species with correct heights?

That doesn't seem to be the case. Or maybe the objects from speedtree come in many different sizes?

Apparently the pine object that is roughly 200ft high in the beta is titled Scots Pine at Speedtree store. A very familiar species on this side of the world. Was hard to see it as such because of that gigantic size. :) Anyway, mature Scots pines are usually around 50-100ft. They can grow to around 150ft tall but that is very very rare.

As said, having trees to more sensible size would game the world more realistic look. I aware of the huge trees in Northern California and Oregon/North American west coast but as far as huge conifer trees go that region is pretty unique.

I understand that the MA-terrains are fictional but I think that it would work best if the "northern hemisphere-type" vegetation would look similar to the wooded areas where the WWII was fought at instead of having giant Redwoods everywhere. It would help in building historical terrains as well when the objects would already be available.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!