Author Topic: review wep times, toughness values  (Read 5546 times)

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: review wep times, toughness values
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2016, 05:43:05 PM »
If you read my post it was in response to Vraciu's claim that there was no time limit on the length for WEP in the Mustang.

Because there wasn't. 

Guys routinely ran it in WEP for periods beyond five minutes without failure.

You can run the Mustang's Merlin in WEP indefinitely--until it blows or runs out of fuel.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2016, 05:43:51 PM »
The WEP stuff kind of seems to me a gameplay concession.  Bustr's previous posts about the lengths of time Merlins were shown to run on WEP settings kind of make the idea of the engine being damaged by WEP pretty silly.

It would radically change the game if you put them all to behave realistically, with the additives running out and that's it, while the ones that were merely at a higher setting would essentially run forever in game terms.

Wiley.

My point precisely.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 05:44:39 PM »
The Mustang did have a WEP limit and it was 5 minutes.

In the section of the P-51 pilot manual, for the WEP operation steps, #4 reads, "Use War Emergency Rating for 5 minutes maximum."

http://s91.photobucket.com/user/Major_Sharpe/media/NorthAmericanP-51D-5PilotsInstructionsb27_zps2a5302ef.jpg.html

That's a LIMITATION not a limit.

My jet has a thrust limitation of 117% for five minutes.   In an emergency that goes out the window.   I will run it as long as necessary to survive.    If it invalidates the warranty so be it. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:46:13 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »

That's a LIMITATION not a limit.

My jet has a thrust limitation of 117% for five minutes.   In an emergency that goes out the window.   I will run it as long as necessary to survive.    If it invalidates the warranty so be it.

You claimed there was no limit, while clearly in the Mustang's flight manual it states the limit was 5 minutes maximum on WEP.  Yes, in some cases pilots got away with running WEP beyond its clearly stated maximum in the flight manual still doesn't take away the fact there was a limit on how long WEP could be used on the Mustang.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2016, 12:00:59 AM »
You claimed there was no limit, while clearly in the Mustang's flight manual it states the limit was 5 minutes maximum on WEP.  Yes, in some cases pilots got away with running WEP beyond its clearly stated maximum in the flight manual still doesn't take away the fact there was a limit on how long WEP could be used on the Mustang.

A LIMITATION is not the same thing as a LIMIT.

Five minutes is a LIMITATION.   It is not a LIMIT.

You are wrong.   Move along.

Cheers.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2016, 01:23:32 AM »

A LIMITATION is not the same thing as a LIMIT.
FAIL!

Ack-Ack is totally right!
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 01:40:31 AM »
Ironically, in AH the level bombers hit more accurately than the dive bombers.

It is actually very good point.

In AH we fly in standard atmosphere in windless condition below 14K in absolutely clear weather with most highly skilled and trained (automatic) bombardier that has most accurate maps around.

In such a case it isn't wonder that Level bomber is that accurate - also if you read about trials and testing of Norden in "lab" conditions it was indeed very accurate - which wasn't reflected in real world operations.

The entire setup of AH gives much better chances to level bombers due to windless conditions.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2016, 05:10:36 AM »
Yep, we know all the variables needed for bombing accurate, the math isnt that hard it just about having the right inputs. IRL they didnt knew their exact altitude over target, they had to estimate their ground speed and wind drift. And they were also most of the time under fire.
Plus they did formation drops, only the leader aimed and the rest just dropped when he did, hence the bad accuracy.

As for WEP, most planes could run on WEP for longer than the recommended limit but the system we have is reasonable, otherwise we could have run on WEP the entire sortie since we get a new plane the next sortie anyway. But British Merlins should have same ratio as their American counterparts.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2016, 05:11:07 AM »
If you read my post it was in response to Vraciu's claim that there was no time limit on the length for WEP in the Mustang.

Indeed, Ack... but I wasn't that concerned about that.

I'm more concerned about my question and the premise to it.

First, Zimme has stated a discrepancy in the wep on/wep off ratio for Spit and Mustang. I'm not about to verify it empirically but I am disinclined to accept his assertion as fact yet, especially since he mistakenly called it recharge time.

Second, I can see a couple of potential reasons why one engine as installed might be more sensitive to the increased heat loading than another - and can think of at least one more, so I'm wondering if there's any diff in the cooling pack capacities and efficiencies b/w the two.

It's just arcana, that second point, but it'd be interesting to know. Certainly, the rad housing and placement is different b/w the two, given the location and redesign required on the Mustang after the change from Allison to Merlin.

Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2016, 05:17:33 AM »
potejto potato. Nothing is recharged im well aware of that, say cooling time if you prefer.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2016, 10:52:59 AM »
Okay, Zimme... accepted. But more importantly, on what are you basing your statement of the time difference? Is it stated somewhere in the online lit or did you verify it empirically?
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »
FAIL!

Ack-Ack is totally right!

No, he is not. 

There is nothing that prevents one from running a Merlin indefinitely in WEP until it blows.   It is a limitation.   If burning up the engine will save your hide then you aren't gonna' worry about five minutes.   You will exceed it to get home. 

Max altitude is a limit.   A governor for RPM is a limit.   WEP use for five minutes is a limitation.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:06:04 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »
Honestly, it's a lot of semantics.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2016, 12:27:49 PM »
Honestly, it's a lot of semantics.

To a point. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »
Okay, Zimme... accepted. But more importantly, on what are you basing your statement of the time difference? Is it stated somewhere in the online lit or did you verify it empirically?

I have found nothing to support that RAF had different limitations on their Merlins. I found it odd that Both Hurricane, Spitfires, Lancasters and Mosquitoes all had a 1:3 WEP-ratio while all US-merlins had a 1:2 ratio. But all British fighters regardless of engine has the 1:3 ratio in the game for no apparent reason.