Author Topic: .50 cal question  (Read 4574 times)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Re: .50 cal question
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 03:16:19 PM »
50s have always been nerfed. Part is the lack of hitting power but the damage model is more to blame. HT thinks 20s are howitzers and 50s are paint pellets. Jug should have about the same snap shot ability as a Spit16. Not even close in game. Either 20s are overmodeled or .50s are undermodeled. Since I've fired the ma deuce and seen the results... I'll say the .50 is not just undermodeled, they're an insult to a legendary weapon which is still in use today.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 03:18:53 PM »
When  it happened to me I went offline and made two of my drones Panzers and practice 3 straffing them with the pony and sure enough if enough .50s goes into it it dies
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »
This is a very good question.  I've seen what a real ~single~ .50 automatic weapon can do... nuff said.

Tumor, get a life bro.    :x  :rofl

Just kidding man.  :salute
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 04:39:52 PM »
I for one wish the 50 calls were a bit more lethal. In real war damaging the plane meant they usually booked it home. In the MA it means they still have longer to live during the fight. Chasing someone around putting bullet after bullet in them while maintaining SA is difficult and is exhausting. For example, I was flying the C202 on a special events yesterday against F4Fs. They are incredibly strong, I get it, but when I'm shooting 2 12.7 and 2 303s from a distance of 350 just absolutely drilling them with at least 70-150 flashes, and they still prance around like nothing even hit them, I don't get it. I got 6 assist because they just wouldnt die. Plane after plane making their rounds of shots to take down a F4F and then I get an assist after wasting all my ammo. I am only chiming in because this irritates me too.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:44:02 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 09:33:13 PM »
Well I think the 50 Cal lethality should be dialed down for a few players I would pay extra for the 50 Cal bullies like, violator. Messiah, yucca, Dodger.AKAK.SFOX, and lazer just to name a few so there :neener:  jk I bet I've been sent more to the tower by 50 cal than cannons..<S> to all my fph's
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:55:54 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 12:08:37 AM »
50s have always been nerfed. Part is the lack of hitting power but the damage model is more to blame. HT thinks 20s are howitzers and 50s are paint pellets. Jug should have about the same snap shot ability as a Spit16. Not even close in game. Either 20s are overmodeled or .50s are undermodeled. Since I've fired the ma deuce and seen the results... I'll say the .50 is not just undermodeled, they're an insult to a legendary weapon which is still in use today.

Hitech hates 50s. No military buff in his right mind would allow a single 20mm to land into a AAA circle and blow it up ... while a 3 second P47 burst doesnt do anything except if you manage to hit the gun itself. Its all for the greater good of gameplay. DCS is no better btw, you'd go nuts seeing how many 50s you need to down a 109. :cheers:
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 12:19:52 AM »
BTW Oaktree, you could kill panzers in AH before that's true. It was not due to the 50s, it was due to a 'gap' in the PZ panels. It was mentioned by Pyro, so thats quite a while ago.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 03:45:43 AM »
They are probably close to calculated value, the thing is the 20mm and .50cal hits at 500-800 yards out, I regulary kill at 800 yards with 20mms, and only the A20 and to some extent F4us seem to be doing the same thing at that distance at me.

The real life 50-300 yards shooting range, where 2 .50cal = 20mm is as it should be.

I think a new damage model would help the .50 caliber, so would a icon with no range (only +1k and -1k on it help, not only at closing in, but also aginst the HO's.
Get rid of the range alltogether for the wirbies, they have the advantage of ambush and kill you before the icon show up at your own field.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 06:50:11 AM »
Looking at gun cam footage i dont see any significant difference in hitting power of the .50s, most planes seems to need a few second burst to go down and they dont just fall out of the sky.  But as said above, we usually fires from a greater distance than they did irl and we also dont have a realistic effect of PW:s, IRL any PW most likely force the pilot out of the fight or to bail. We on the other hand dont bother too much about damage planes and wounded pilots as long as it flies.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 12:02:04 PM »
When Saburo Sakai in his A6m was caught by those 10 F6f that shot him to pieces and he still managed to escape. Yes he was a gifted plilot but, rounds still tagged him much like happens in our MA. Then 10v1 and we come in here and complain that our 50cals from the 10 didn't smoke the 1.

If you are committed to this position. Like was done with the Dora to prove the radiator damage model was wrong. Go to the DA and make films of shooting all the fighters in question with P51 and P47. Shoot to test random damage out to 800. Shoot to test full on close snap shots. And shoot full on close 6 shots. One of the damage elements no one is complaining about, the FW wing 20mm and 30mm HE\Minengeschoß ammo will explode ripping the wing off throwing the FW into a snap spin. The are guncam films of this.

Also put up a custom arena and just like with the Dora, park the planes in question while another player drives up a jeep and pings all of the areas in question to test the damage model. Your films will show the results and maybe then Hitech will consider your request.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 01:41:53 PM »
I think my record is 44 rounds (.50) for killing a spit...
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 02:40:23 PM »
I think my record is 44 rounds (.50) for killing a spit...

7 rounds, killed the pilot.  was in an m3 with a p38 flying by.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 02:43:39 PM »
7 rounds, killed the pilot.  was in an m3 with a p38 flying by.

semp

Impressive, The 44 rounds were enough to cut the wing of the spit..

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »

but have u seen a 20mm...
have you fired a 20mm...
have you seen the results of a 20mm...

a .50cal is 12.7mm and very little room for explosive not to mention of the billions of round of .50 ever made and fired 90% is just lead/"standard" ball ammo.

20mm is in a different class all together called "cannon"

.50 cal is still used today because we made a million weapons, a trillions of bullets, works well enough and its american in origin.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 01:45:22 PM »
.50 certainly feels less than lethal.  I took a couple of films the other day because I was frustrated at the lack of hitting power.