Author Topic: current AH2 corner speeds  (Read 2789 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
current AH2 corner speeds
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:23:29 PM »
Anyone know approximately what are the corner speeds for the Spit 9 and the P-51 in the current version of AH2?  Sorry if this is already in here somewhere, but my search results seem to turn up 10-year-old stuff. 

Mark H. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: current AH2 corner speeds
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
The actual speeds vary with your weight and altitude. You can check them by finding the slowest speed you can pull to blackout. In the Spit 9 and P-51 that will be around 225 and 270 mph.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:49:39 PM »
Clean stall of aircraft x √6 (2.45) is a good approximation.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 01:25:39 AM »
Clean stall of aircraft x √6 (2.45) is a good approximation.
[/quote
By "Clean stall" I take it you me gear up , zero flaps and power off stall speed?   it would be nice to know the corner speeds for aircraft with two notches of flaps and two notches of flaps with a load out of ords also?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 09:37:05 AM »
Use Rolex's same calculation factors using a plane in whatever configuration you like. Clean stall means the speed at which it stops flying straight and level with no stick input.

People often times think there is a set "corner speed " for a plane. This simply isn't true. The corner speed for a Spit IX with 100% fuel will be higher than one with 25%. To find the difference fly at a given configuration of fuel, flaps, gear, altitude, etc., and slow down flying straight and level until you stall. Plug that speed into Rolex's calculation above. There's your corner speed for that plane at that configuration.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 10:34:32 AM »
Use Rolex's same calculation factors using a plane in whatever configuration you like. Clean stall means the speed at which it stops flying straight and level with no stick input.

People often times think there is a set "corner speed " for a plane. This simply isn't true. The corner speed for a Spit IX with 100% fuel will be higher than one with 25%. To find the difference fly at a given configuration of fuel, flaps, gear, altitude, etc., and slow down flying straight and level until you stall. Plug that speed into Rolex's calculation above. There's your corner speed for that plane at that configuration.

I understand what you are trying to  saying, however, a "clean stall" is a term in aviation that does involve a change in Angle of Attack, you remember that pesky AOA thing that when in excess to the Apparent Wind causes the wing to Stall at any speed.                                   
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
I believe clean stall for this purpose is a power on stall with gear and flaps up. You are calculating the full power 6g stall speed with the full power 1g stall speed. A power off stall speed would be lower.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 11:13:27 AM »
Yes but if you're trying to find stall at a given configuration you have to test at that configuration. There simply isn't a set in stone stall speed for any plane at all configurations.

Using the Spit IX example, if both Spits were at 25% fuel, one at sea level and one at 10k they'd have different stall speeds.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:30:40 AM »
Yes but if you're trying to find stall at a given configuration you have to test at that configuration.

That was already mentioned and isn't in dispute.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »
I'm trying to clarify that the "clean" stall speed you describe isn't THE stall speed for a plane and therfore that factor can't be used to find THE corner speed for that aircraft other than for THAT SINGLE CONFIGURATION. This is constantly confusing for some people. I'm not part of that group.

There are so many factors at work. Lift, drag, gravity, relative wind, air density. Corner speed can be a fleeting very thing!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »
I'm trying to clarify that the "clean" stall speed you describe isn't THE stall speed for a plane and therfore that factor can't be used to find THE corner speed for that aircraft other than for THAT SINGLE CONFIGURATION. This is constantly confusing for some people. I'm not part of that group.

There are so many factors at work. Lift, drag, gravity, relative wind, air density. Corner speed can be a fleeting very thing!

The first thing I wrote was The actual speeds vary with your weight and altitude. That wasn't clear? Nothing wrong with you repeating it but you already repeated it once and nobody is disagreeing.  :D

Since you can't maintain corner speed I wouldn't worry too much about hitting it exactly as long as you're near it when you need to be.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 12:22:25 PM »
Sorry to have intruded on your forum. Thought I'd contribute to the discussion but apparently that ain't cool. No problem. All yours.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »
Discussion and questions are always welcome. 

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 01:19:41 PM »
Knowing the corner speed ( best turn rate) at various altitudes is good to know for general reference in the heat of the battle.  Knowing that one best corner speed for a particular aircraft is good to know so that if the opportunity presents itself, drive the fight to the general altitude for that speed. 

It's easy to over think the concept while trying to analyze and understand it.  The K.I.S.S ( keep it simple stupid) method usually works most effectively.  DISCLAIMER: Not calling anyone stupid.  It's a common term in many situations.  I'm usually looking in the mirror when I remember and quote it to myself.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 01:37:16 PM »
So... I'm a bit confused.  Please correct me where I'm wrong, but I'm just trying to understand the concepts.

Stall speed is a function of the speed of the air moving over the wing, right?

Indicated airspeed is basically the speed of that air moving over the wing, but it's tied to the amount of air molecules that is actually moving over the wing, right?  That's why as you go higher, you move faster through the thinner air, but the indicated being the same means it's moving through the same amount of molecules of thinner air, doesn't it?

Shouldn't the IAS remain consistent for stall speed regardless of altitude?  I tend not to think in terms of numbers while playing the game, so I've never particularly noticed.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11