Author Topic: Beta won't open/start at all for me.  (Read 600 times)

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
Beta won't open/start at all for me.
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:40:50 PM »
I just get a pop up saying Alpha exe. has stopped working.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: Beta won't open/start at all for me.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 08:45:16 PM »
me too

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 09:09:09 PM »
have you tried to uninstall , and do a complete fresh install of the beta?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:55:26 PM »
did you download the full version or patch from the latest version?
have you ever had the beta working at all?
what are your pc specs,  O/S, how much video memory does your card have?

I patched from beta 4 to 5 then to 6 and it ran fine as the other 80+ patches have done so,the more detail you can provide would be useful to HTC in determining where the issue lies. 

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »
We have not shipped an "alpha" for a while now.  Even the name of the executable changed when we moved to Beta.  If you try running ahalpha.exe, it will fail.  The new executable name is ahbeta.exe.

When do you get this error message?  Trying to install the beta?  Running the beta?  Are you running it from a desktop ICON, or from the Windows Start menu?  Have you tried both approaches?

It sounds like the executable for an older version of AH3 was placed on your desktop, instead of a shortcut and that would certainly cause a failure.

Or, you had an Alpha installed and then updated to the Beta, which left the old Alpha executable still installed and linked to an ICON on your desktop.  This ICON will not work.  You can remove it.

In any case, please provide as much detail as possible.

A DXDIAG output would also be helpful.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:56:57 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 03:16:24 PM »
OK, I cleaned everything out, I think. And started over. I downloaded the game again from the home page. Now I geta pop up saying....Your current version is out of date. And can no longer be used online. Do you wish to down load the updater? Yes or No? I push yes and get another Pop up saying:
Unable to complete the update. If you are using Vista Operating system (I'm not) be sure you are running aces high II as Administrator. Or you can download the patch from our website at www.hitechcreations. THATS WHAT I DID TO START OVER!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 03:20:35 PM »
At this point a copy of your DXdiag will keep Skuzzy from having to learn mind reading.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 03:25:09 PM »
How do I copy it? Where is it....one thing I computer no savvy chief! :joystick: :joystick: :joystick:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 03:29:34 PM »
Lower bottom left of your screen on the bar is a big button. When you click on it you will see a search option just above it.

Type in: dxdiag

Above that you will probably see that it finds dxdiag.exe. Click on it to launch it.

When it is done you can click on the button "save all information". This will save it to a text file that you can attach inside of your next reply to this post to upload it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 03:37:23 PM »
Are you running Avast anti-virus?  If so, it WILL interfere with the Beta.  You will need to shut it down, unless you want to put each executable in the allow list each time we update the Beta.

Here is the latest link to the full release.  http://dlrobin.hitechcreations.com/AHBETA006.EXE

Remove what you have installed, then try again.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 03:54:45 PM »
I did everything you said Skuzzy.....I still get a pop up saying this is not a valid Win32 application.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 04:08:31 PM »
I did everything you said Skuzzy.....I still get a pop up saying this is not a valid Win32 application.

That is a very different error.  That means something is corrupting the file(s) or your computer does not have enough memory to run the application.

Really need to see the output of DXDIAG. 

1. Go to "Start" from the Windows desktop
2. Select "Run" from the pop up menu
3. In the Run dialog box, type DXDIAG and press <ENTER>
4. After a few seconds the DXDIAG utility will be ready (the progress indicator in the lower left corner will disappear).
5. Run the video and sound diagnostics (Select the Display and Sound tabs to do this).
6. Press the "Save All Information" button
7. This will save the DXDIAG data to a file of your choice
8. Once you have done this, simply email the file to me and I can look for any issues your system might have.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:10:18 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »
At this point a copy of your DXdiag will keep Skuzzy from having to learn mind reading.

He already knows how, he's just too smart to actually DO it.  Trying to read something that small can lead to eye strain.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 05:15:17 PM »
I sent it in Skuzzy!!!! :airplane: