Author Topic: Help with design of upcoming Eastern Front scenario  (Read 11941 times)

Offline puller

• Gold Member
Re: Help with design of upcoming Eastern Front scenario
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2016, 08:37:13 AM »
You just took my job!  :old:

:cheers:

I've got a great position for you...

It's not a storch...but it's the next best thing... :neener:
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: June 24, 2016, 09:52:31 AM »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #197 on: June 24, 2016, 08:52:29 PM »
You just took my job!  :old:

:cheers:

There are two sides.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »
There are two sides.

But the 109E is purdy!
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2016, 12:37:51 PM »
I still say we do a winter war, finns versus russians... T34 versus Hetzer.  To make the air war a bit more interesting, I say use the 109E instead of the G Models, maybe a squadron or two of G14s and JU87s versus I16's and maybe a squad or two of LA5's or Yak7s w/ something like an SBD to act as the russian close air support bomber.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2016, 12:45:41 PM »
But the 109E is purdy!

That it is.  I like the yellow-nose ones.  We are fortunate to have one in our local museum:

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2016, 01:14:32 PM »
Brooke, in case you did not know, that "Emil" is a G-6 conversion. It looks good to the untrained eye, but if you know your 109's it really is a poor representation of a true Emil.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
the radiator and elevator struts look pretty E to me. :P
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »
The tail struts were bolted on. The only modification to the wings was adding a Mg-FF barrel (but not the bulge for the magazine under the wing) and the removal of the rounded wing tips and a given a squared fairing to appear like an Emil. But the wings of Emil's (and earlier 109's) are the same length as the Friedrich (and later 109's). The radiators are unchanged from their G-6 configuration and Brooke's picture shows the 3-piece flap in the closed position, not the Emil's single piece flap.. Modifications were made to the nose to look like an Emil, with varying degrees of accuracy in the fabricated parts. The worst piece is the prop spinner which is too long. The fabrication of the chin oil cooler is well done though. Also worth noting, the canopy is the thick framed type introduced with the Gustav.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
Brooke, in case you did not know, that "Emil" is a G-6 conversion. It looks good to the untrained eye, but if you know your 109's it really is a poor representation of a true Emil.

I don't know the types well enough to spot any of that.

I got the background from their website just now, though, in case of any interest:

"In 1972, Douglas Champlin began looking for a restorable Bf 109 for his collection. After several fruitless searches, he acquired a Spanish-built Hispano HA 1112 and reconfigured it as closely as possible to the original. Locating a Daimler-Benz DB 601 engine and associated cowling proved impossible, so a DB 605 was substituted.

Modification work was undertaken by Art Williams in Germany. This included not only the engine change, but also redesign of the wingtips and other related items.

The Champlin Collection Bf 109 was manufactured in Germany during 1942 or 1943. It is thought to be one of the original batch of twenty-five aircraft supplied to Spain. All instrumentation is German, and of the identifiable Spanish-manufactured parts, many appear to be identical to the original German versions.

Appropriate to the aircraft's history, the cowling and engine are most likely from Bf 109E J392, the initial Dornier-Swiss-built aircraft delivered in 1945. The Champlin Collection Bf 109 has appeared in several movies, including Patton and Battle of Britain."

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2016, 08:31:42 PM »
That plane used to be in MESA AZ. I have a pic of me standing next to it somewhere. They had a P-47 right next to it to show the size difference.
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2016, 02:25:54 AM »
With the final results of Battle of the Dnieper, we can look at actual results and statistics to see how well or poorly balanced this scenario was.

VVS won two frames and LW won two frames, but that is a coarse measurement.  We can look at finer details of balance.

VVS scored an average of 292 pts per frame with std deviation of 30.  LW scored an average or 270 with std. dev. of 47.  These are within one standard deviation of each other.

Also, you can look at points generated per player for each side, to take into account the effect of different numbers of players frame to frame and side to side.  In that case, VVS had an average of 7.20 pts/player with std. dev. of 0.90; and LW had an average of 6.89 pts/player with std. dev. of 1.17.  These numbers are 1/3rd of a standard deviation apart.

Thus, actual statistics suggest that this scenario is reasonably balanced, regardless of any personal feelings about various aircraft capabilities.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:39:22 AM by Brooke »