Author Topic: For the love of God . . .  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: For the love of God . . .
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 07:04:02 AM »
. . .If anything tighten it up!  :old:

Please, please no.

Someone claimed AH alters this lockup with speed which i doubt since my lockup always occurs at low speed when making full stick movement to kill a stalling plane.

I see the reason for the lockup idea but the implication of this corrective measure is limited in its originality, and comprehensive inclusion.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 07:27:14 AM »

Someone claimed AH alters this lockup with speed which i doubt since my lockup always occurs at low speed when making full stick movement to kill a stalling plane.

No need to speculate when you can confirm it in a short flight test.   :joystick:

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 08:30:01 AM »
Randy,

Is it still occurring?  If so, have you tried using a cleaner on the internal parts of the stick? 

My most recent CH Fighterstick has been spiking at various times over the last few years, and I finally opened up the base and sprayed cleaner into the pots.  Since then, it has been smooth throughout the entire range of motion, in both X and Y axis, without a single spike.

I used this:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BXOGNI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Just a thought, if you're still having problems.  From the one encounter I had with you the other day, you definitely didn't do anything that would warrant the message.  So, if that's a representation of your flight style, perhaps cleaning the pots is the next step.

-mir
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 08:40:26 AM »
Mir, this has all been recommended to him in this thread and in others. He's absolutely convinced it's the game, not his controllers or the guy using the controllers.  Apparently there's no getting him turned around on this although many have tried.

FWIW I fly a 38 all the time, have well worn (but we'll kept) CH controllers and I couldn't tell ya when the last time that happened to me. Probably was right before my last stick tear down and that's what alerted me to start checking for a spikey pot. But what do I know, right?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 12:15:52 PM »
Mir, this has all been recommended to him in this thread and in others. He's absolutely convinced it's the game, not his controllers or the guy using the controllers.  Apparently there's no getting him turned around on this although many have tried.

FWIW I fly a 38 all the time, have well worn (but we'll kept) CH controllers and I couldn't tell ya when the last time that happened to me. Probably was right before my last stick tear down and that's what alerted me to start checking for a spikey pot. But what do I know, right?

I have replaced the joystick so no more resistance pots.  I did disassemble and clean pots on the rudder pedals to no avail.  I replaced the pedals and it still happens.  I tried Ack-Acks suggestion and it still happens.  I replaced the usb hub and changed ports many times.

If this happened while I was evading someone, I would have zero complaint but it doesn't.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »
Here is a suggestion:

Edit: Nevermind, my suggestion would have been a waste of HTC's valuable time, after rereading what everyone has posted

TC
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:34:00 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 01:27:02 PM »

If this happened while I was evading someone, I would have zero complaint but it doesn't.

Just so we're clear that whether you might be the one doing the evading has nothing to do with it. If you're trying to follow a nut job stick stirrer thru his "evasives" (and that's what you described) that might well cause the same result.

You are absolutely correct that this feature has much to do with the smoothing code. There are limitations to what it can smooth out tho and if it sees more spikes than it will allow you get the lockup and message. It sees it as an obvious attempt to scam the smoothing code. Imagine the game without it! Oh the humanity! It'd be all jerks all the time.

This problem happens to generally three groups of players. The new guys that haven't grasped the subtle nuances yet. The straight up stick stirrers. The guys with something going on with their controllers or in their PC. I think I'm safe in saying it ain't the game just randomly doing it. It's been around as long as I can remember and the above groups pretty much cover it. They post here and eventually the source gets found out.

If you're absolutely positive it's not you doing it, keep digging around and try to duplicate the problem. Dude, I'm a mechanic and gremlins just drive me nuts. This is a gremlin.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 12:58:05 PM »
When it happens, have you been quickly moving your joystick to the absolute end of it's axis throws, back and forth for a while trying to follow some rapidly maneuvering con? Also, does your stick return to center tightly when you let it go or, do you have a bit of mush and seem to need a recalibration often?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »
When it happens, have you been quickly moving your joystick to the absolute end of it's axis throws, back and forth for a while trying to follow some rapidly maneuvering con? Also, does your stick return to center tightly when you let it go or, do you have a bit of mush and seem to need a recalibration often?

Calibration stays rock solid.  Center of rudder and joystick solid.

It happened again last night.   Same situation.  Fast throw of hard rudder, hard aileron with some amount of elevator but not full to pull a shot on a red.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 01:47:04 PM »
In that moment are you fast throwing the joystick and the rudder, then hitting the physical end stops of your joystick and rudder devices?

I haven't had this problem in years, and if you are hitting the ends of the physical throw after slamming into those positions, there may be a solution other than your hardware. But, I need to know if this is what the end result is to your description of:

Fast throw of hard rudder, hard aileron

Can you create a lockup by a simple fast throwing your ailerons from one end stop to the other visiting full left then full right deflection?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 01:54:27 PM »
Calibration stays rock solid.  Center of rudder and joystick solid.

It happened again last night.   Same situation.  Fast throw of hard rudder, hard aileron with some amount of elevator but not full to pull a shot on a red.

I tried locking up on purpose following your description. It's not enough to trigger the lock. You can do a fast full deflection of all 3 axis with no lockup. It seems likely you're generating more input then you described.

It's instructive to lock up on purpose to see the actual minimum input required to trigger it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
That same sentence caught my eye, too.

Unfortunately the message only talks about "controls" although you actually have more than one separate devices. It would help if you could separate them for testing. Go offline, get your favourite plane and some altitude and set your plane level on autopilot. Without touching your pedals, move your stick rapidly left and right in gradually increasing the trajectory until you reach the ends. Make note where you get the message. Do the same up-down. Then do the same with your pedals only. Try to find out which one of your controls is the culprit.

If you only get the message with the end-to-end moves, it may still be your calibration: While calibrating, you probably don't "fast throw" the controllers from edge to edge. That may produce a non-calibrated rim outside the calibrated area and when you step over the line, you get the message.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »
Bizman my understanding is that the program looks at the amount of deflection within a time period. It's adjusted for speed to trigger at a percentage above stall speed.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 02:28:00 PM »
When you scale the axis, does that introduce a delay to the deflection time period regardless to how physically fast you throw the stick to a side? And do the calibration ends respective to your joystick's physical deflection end stops, then reflect the full deflection programmed for each aileron or elevator respective to each aircraft?

I still need to know Randy's answer to my question. 

HuH! another question Randy, do you scale your x,y joystick axis, or is everything flat at 100% along the top of the sliders?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 02:35:36 PM »
Have you ruled out a hardware problem?

Long time ago I had a sound card that gave me fits for causing stick spikes. While I can understand if it was the very old days of having the soundcard control the joystick, but this was in the early USB days. Another example is one of my first machines as it had a FM tuner card and that thing was really bad for IRQ conflicts.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:40:31 PM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!