Author Topic: New players and people who want something different from Aces High  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: New players and people who want something different from Aces High
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 06:14:26 PM »
Most of the events and alternate arenas and FSO and stuff only work if you live in the US or are unemployed.

But hey, we all know it's my fault for being a foreigner.

I have a New Zealander flying FSO with my squad, we could use another Kiwi, come join us! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 06:51:38 PM »
Most of the events and alternate arenas and FSO and stuff only work if you live in the US or are unemployed.

But hey, we all know it's my fault for being a foreigner.

Not for Scenarios or "This Day in WWII"  both run at prime European times.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »
so, get a little more involved and run something at new Zealand/Australian time? it would be awesome to have people running stuff not only EST but also NZ/Australian time. and maybe some English ones too, to run Greenwich mean time! 24 hour a day party!!

I used to run "This Day in WWII:  Milne Bay" at prime Australian time.  It doesn't get participation.

We do run Scenarios and "This Day in WWII" events at 8 pm UK time and have been doing so for many years.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 03:03:51 PM »
Europe and NZ are on almost exactly opposite sides of the planet. I've never understood the insistence that somehow this means we can join in. The seasons are also reversed. AH gets really busy during the Winter months in the Northern Hemisphere which is our Summer and I'm not sure that it's a reasonable expectation to sit inside in the middle of the day in Summer, if I want to fly with more than 10-20 people.
Retired

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 03:04:30 PM »
I have a New Zealander flying FSO with my squad, we could use another Kiwi, come join us! <S>

He's unemployed, retired or has no kids living at home.
Retired

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »
Europe and NZ are on almost exactly opposite sides of the planet.

I know that.

I've never understood the insistence that somehow this means we can join in.

You are totally misunderstanding what I said.  I said that I tried prime time Australia, and no one showed up, so I don't do it anymore.

Separately, someone commented on how we should have special events at prime time Europe, to which I responded that we've already been doing that for many years.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »
He's unemployed, retired or has no kids living at home.

Hmmm, he just returned from Dallas from Business and I believe he has a son.

I could be wrong, his name is Vulcan.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 04:55:40 PM »
I know Vulcan both online and in meatspace. I simply do not have the ability to make the time to play games that he seems to have.

The fact remains, most of us make time for this sort of thing in the evening after the chores are done. That just means there'll be no one on for me. I'm not complaining about it. It's how it is. AH is a desert at the times I can play.
Retired

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »
AH is a desert at the times I can play.

I wish that were different.  :(

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 09:10:44 AM »
As I have just deleted my account after more than a few years I decided to have a look on the board to see how things were going.

For me it was not a question of getting bored, more a case of not really enjoying the game as I used to. I don't have the time to commit to squads and such although I have in the past. I liked to be able to log on and join in with the action. If I saw a player in trouble on my side I would frequently get stuck in (whatever the odds!) to help out. If I saw one doing OK in a one to one I would leave him to it. I suppose after time I got a little tired with have a good one on one only to have a hoard of "friendlies" come down to help. No fun to have them all lined up behind you with tracers flying past trying to get the kill! - It will always happen but I think it took some of the pleasure away when it started to happen too often.

The organised events are without doubt the best way to play if you have the time to devote both in terms of airtime and clock time, in my case GMT.

My own style of play was to get on-line when I could and have a couple of hours of fun.

I thought of bring my lad into the game but knowing he would not like being shot down so often as all new players will be I was hoping the new beta would allow 1 v 1 without subscription so he could get some airtime with me. Unfortunately that is not going to happen.

So now I have my full CH setup and trackIR currently idle while I move on to other things that do give me more pleasure.

Last but not least, I did email to find out if I could suspend my account (It is a very old account!) and keep my game ID - No response, so that didn't help either. In the end I hit the "delete account" button which makes it rather more final. - Wow just looked, at least 14 years! - but still a "newbie" compared to some!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:22:16 AM by Blagard »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »
I thought of bring my lad into the game but knowing he would not like being shot down so often as all new players will be I was hoping the new beta would allow 1 v 1 without subscription so he could get some airtime with me. Unfortunately that is not going to happen.

I was under the impression that the beta is open and free for all to download providing they have a forum account to access the download.   

As for when it goes live I still hope HTC keeps some of the (empty) arenas F2P, such as the tank / DA / TA and WWI arenas.   Just so new players can experiment and then go on to the paid for MA with half a clue as to how to play. 

Sorry to hear your leaving right at a time when we are hoping for an influx of new players etc.  Lord knows GMT hours needs every available player to keep the action up off hours.

:salute
The Few ***
F.P.H